The 2018 Heavies Awards - Breakout Fighter of the Year - WINNER: Israel Adesanya

Breakout Fighter of the Year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JayPettryMMA

Danger Zone Aficionado
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score
The 2018 Heavies Awards - Breakout Fighter of the Year
Welcome to the 2018 Heavies Awards! Last year's went great, so let's do it again. This time, fewer categories, so make them count!

These are some fighters largely considered to be up for Breakout Fighter of the Year - they have managed to create decent buzz around themselves in the media, and coupled that buzz with some top wins. They've managed to use 2018 to rise through the ranks quickly and become their divisions' premier fighters. There have been plenty of excellent moments and great stories this year, but it's up to you to see who wins!

You have one vote, and voting will be open for five days! Be sure to tell us why you voted for who you did! Thanks for voting!

Nominees
Aaron Pico: 4-1, 3-0 in 2018
Bellator
Wins in 2018: Shane Krutchen (TKO), Lee Morrison (TKO), Leandro Higo (TKO), Totaling 5:06 of Cage Time
aaron-pico-bellator-192.jpg

Best-of-AARON-PICO-BELLATOR-192-BELLATOR-MMA.gif

Anthony Smith: 31-13, 3-1 in 2018
UFC

Wins in 2018: Rashad Evans (KO), Mauricio Rua (KO), Volkan Oezdemir (Sub)
anthony-smith-10272018-getty-ftr_1mdlweg0saoa4108aq2d90li5g.jpg

ScrawnySnappyDungenesscrab-size_restricted.gif

Israel Adesanya: 15-0, 4-0 UFC
UFC

Wins in 2018: Rob Wilkinson (TKO), Marvin Vettori (SD), Brad Tavares (UD), Derek Brunson (TKO)
082_Israel_Adesanya_vs_Brad_Tavares.0.jpg

3NoiQ.gif

Ray Cooper III: 17-6, 4-1 in 2018
PFL

Wins in 2018: Jake Shields (TKO), Pavel Kusch (TKO), Jake Shields again (TKO), Handesson Ferreira (TKO), PFL WW Tourney Semifinalist
Ray-Cooper-III.jpg

Ray-Cooper-III-finished-Jake-Shields-R2-.gif

Tatiana Suarez: 7-0, 2-0 in 2018
UFC

Wins in 2018: Alexa Grasso (Sub), Carla Esparza (TKO)
tatiana-suarez-ufc-fight-night-120-1.jpg

tatiana-suarez-chile-highlight.gif

Zabit Magomedsharipov: 16-1, 2-0 in 2018
UFC

Wins in 2018: Kyle Bochniak (UD), Brandon Davis (Sub - Suloev Stretch)
usa_today_11212472.0.jpg

Israel.

He will claim gold in 2019.

Last edited:
Isn't it a bit strange to put Ray Cooper in there after he lost the finals to Magomedkerimov.

Isn't it a bit strange to put Ray Cooper in there after he lost the finals to Magomedkerimov.
I'd tend to agree since Magomedkerimov went 5-0 this year and beat Cooper in the finals, but people still don't know his name. The stories aren't really focused on Magomedkerimov winning, and instead about Cooper losing. It's really quite bizarre.

I was about to say Colby but he weas 2017 breakthrough fighter . I would like to see him nominated for the fighter of the year tho.

I was about to say Colby but he weas 2017 breakthrough fighter . I would like to see him nominated for the fighter of the year tho.
I'm shocked you brought up Colby Covington in a thread that did not contain him at all. Shocked!

Well not that shocked.

Future goat:
0_Logan-Paul-v-KSI-Boxing-match-Manchester-Arena-UK-25-Aug-2018.jpg

Should have been on the list

Last edited:
came down to israel and zabit for me. in the end, i voted israel.

For me it came down to Pico / Stylebender. Went with Pico.

Got to be Israel. He went from a complete nobody to a legit top ten in A year, looking more impressive with each fight. Reminds me of Jones' meteoric rise.

Pico, just because hes a beast

Voting for Anthony Smith should be punishable by ban imo

Picked Adesanya but was real close to picking Pico

I'll take Smith here, seeing he has accomplished the most, as he will be fighting Jon next.

Voting for Anthony Smith should be punishable by ban imo

Picked Adesanya but was real close to picking Pico
Volkan was ranked 2 and coming off a title fight, and Shogun was 8 when Smith beat them.

Meanwhile, Brunson was 6 and Tavares was 8 when Adesanya schooled them.

Smith did lose, but moved up in weight to turn into something else. Smith may potentially fight for a belt next, depending on what Jones does, whereas Adesanya still has to get through another fighter (Anderson Silva) for a title shot.

It was a tough call.

Tatiana Suarez won TUF in 2016. How on earth can she win breakout fighter of the year?

For PFL, Schulte arguably deserves the nod more than any of the tournament winners.

Adesanya went from UFC nobody in January 2018 to title contender by December 2018

Back