Tell us about your travels

I just got back from Aruba where I might have come pretty close to drinking myself to death.

I would sincerely guess I drank 35 to 40 drinks a day for 5 days straight. On day 6 all my apendages were grotesquely swollen, which scared the shit out of me. I gained 19 lbs in 6 days.

Time of my life.

I'm from Singapore.

I've been to:
Malaysia (Melaka, JB, Penang, Sabah, Cameron Highlands, Genting)
Indonesia (Jakata, Bandung)
Taiwan (Basically the whole island) Been there 4 times.
Japan (Hokkaido, Tokyo, Yokohama, Kyoto)
S.Korea (Seoul, Jeju)
Thailand (Bangkok, Changmai, Changrai, Phuket)
India (New Delhi, Babina)
Hong Kong
Macau
Australia (Melbourne)

The only country that I have visited out of Asia is Melbourne, Australia. Was there because my friend is graduating from university. A extremely short trip of 5 ~ 6 days. It's pretty sad it's the only one country out of Asia but I'm still happy I visited most of Asian country.

Country I won't likely visit for pleasure is China. Not going into details or it would be tldr.

Country I would most definitely visit before I die in future is S.Africa and Rome.

Also, the tourism in Europe can be a bit much to take sometimes. Japanese tourists seem to be the absolute worst of all.

I can tell you this though. If you are from a first-world country, traveling for extended periods in the poorest areas will dramatically change your perspective - forever.

You sure they aren't tourists from China? Even Asian countries hate China tourists.

And it's true, when I visited India and on the 3hrs drive to Babina, I saw the most ridiculous thing in my life. I was slightly surprised when I saw the below; but not to an extreme extend because Malaysia have them too.

blog-village-house-2.jpg

It was until I saw these mud houses along the street. And you can see people living in them. Just lying down there with their feets out. I was like Dafuq. The below picture is a sort of Mud oven because I can't find the exact picture of what I seen, but it's close enough.

24_Acoma_Pueblo_oven.jpg
It's just room for 1, I doubt they can even flip their bodies inside. They can't even fit their entire body inside.

more than anything, if you're american, it takes awhile when you travel getting used to just walking around/dealing w/ crowds. similar to how asian tourists that come here just don't seem to understand the concept of lines and personal space.

You sure it's not just China tourist? :)

Last edited:
oh i'm assuming most of them that come to Cali are Chinese, although some look to be Korean and certainly some Japanese as well. Not that i'm some expert in discerning asiatic facial features, but you know what i mean

You sure they aren't tourists from China? Even Asian countries hate China tourists.
I was in Sydney last weekend with my girlfriend and her mum and holy balls, these people have no spatial awareness whatsoever. They seem to always stop and stand in the most inconvenient place you can find on a sidewalk and have no idea how queues work.

second that motion. went to an outlet mall near palm springs recently. place was packed to the gills w/ presumably chinese tourists. straight cutting in line, knocking bags over, stumbling right into you.

i hvae general problems w/ people's lack of situational awareness, but my lil man was w/ me and they bumped into him numerous times, knocking him over once. Heisman mode was activated and the rest of the afternoon was actually awesome. it was like nick diaz fighting that one can w/ the horrible 'slap' defense. bodies everywhere

oh i'm assuming most of them that come to Cali are Chinese, although some look to be Korean and certainly some Japanese as well. Not that i'm some expert in discerning asiatic facial features, but you know what i mean

Haha.. I get you.

I understand Koreans get a little rough at times in the crowd just banging around walking their own path. But after visiting there twice, I understand it's their culture and how they were brought up in daily life. So... can't really blame them? I guess. The richer and slightly more educated ones are just normal everyday tourist.

But it's a difference thing when even Asian dislike tourists from China. They are plain rude. The poor, the rich are even worse. They just China.

I was in Sydney last weekend with my girlfriend and her mum and holy balls, these people have no spatial awareness whatsoever. They seem to always stop and stand in the most inconvenient place you can find on a sidewalk and have no idea how queues work.

Wait til you see them in historical sites with fences barring people from walking in. Not even fences can stop them from talking pictures with them beside the artifacts. You think Queues will work? And if you confront them, they will react like it's your fault and you are bat crazy.

And this comment is coming from a Chinese.

Lived in England, besides the US. Been to Switzerland, Luxemburg, France, Italy, Germany, and Jaimaca.

Want to visit Asia, Japan, South Korea, Singapore. Not sure that will ever happen. Wanna visit Australia as well.

luxembourg city in the house haha. lived like maybe an hour from there, and an hour from Saarbourg, France. other than Lichtenstein, the most random country in europe

Lived in England, besides the US. Been to Switzerland, Luxemburg, France, Italy, Germany, and Jaimaca.

Want to visit Asia, Japan, South Korea, Singapore. Not sure that will ever happen. Wanna visit Australia as well.

If you intend to visit Asia, I would recommend Taiwan as your first. Their service culture have surpassed Japan, personal opinion. Their transport systems are easily understandable even for your first visit. Japan's system is excellent but only if you know how to things/maps actually works there.

Singapore... Mm.. other than food, I don't see the point of visiting here. It's basically a city. The entertainment like night clubs, theme parks aren't the best, fun-wise, even within Asia. The nature scenery are far and few between and you can definitely get to see better ones in other countries. But maybe a one or two day interchange stop while you hop to other near by countries I guess.

If you intend to visit Asia, I would recommend Taiwan as your first. Their service culture have surpassed Japan, personal opinion. Their transport systems are easily understandable even for your first visit. Japan's system is excellent but only if you know how to things/maps actually works there.

Singapore... Mm.. other than food, I don't see the point of visiting here. It's basically a city. The entertainment like night clubs, theme parks aren't the best even in Asia. The nature scenery are far and few between and you can definitely get to see better ones in other countries. But maybe a one or two day interchange stop while you hop to other near by countries I guess.

One Championship, my dude. ONE CHAMPIONSHIP. Always holding events in Singapore. Would also like to visit Evolve.

But thank you for suggesting Taiwan. That's another place I wouldn't mind seeing. Hong Kong too.

Korea (homeland) 5 times, France for a short bit for World Cup, Greece for honeymoon, DR. Shoulda traveled more before the little man arrived.

One Championship, my dude. ONE CHAMPIONSHIP. Always holding events in Singapore. Would also like to visit Evolve.

But thank you for suggesting Taiwan. That's another place I wouldn't mind seeing. Hong Kong too.

Ah.. I forgot this is MMA forum after all. ^^

I was lucky enough to have attended their first event and the 6th or 7th, can't remember. Was working for Marina Bay Sands back then, so I gotten free tickets given by acquaintances. Missed another event between these two because I was unable to reschedule my work.

The first event was filled with free tickets goers because MMA wasn't that well known in Singapore. Rumors were flying that 40% of the attendance were free tickets so the stadium won't look so empty. I would say the second event I attended was the complete opposite experience from the first, 1 year later.

Korea (homeland) 5 times, France for a short bit for World Cup, Greece for honeymoon, DR. Shoulda traveled more before the little man arrived.

You days of traveling is over.

3666136-5719310562-13266_medium.jpg

EDIT:
Nice discussion guys, I'm heading out to an animal convention now. Hopefully more people contribute their travel experiences when I'm back.

I just had a kid and we're planning to travel with her. Plan ahead and save and you can still travel with a little one.

I was yes, my last six months in the Army. i spent four of those in White Sands, and juarez was totally off limits (this was 2013).

I went to juarez, b/c i traveled with my college basketball team to UTEP. some of them wanted to brave Juarez and i was the only spanish speaker. nothing happened luckily, but that place was extremely suspect

I was at Bliss for about 6 months in 98-99. Juarez was off limits back then too. Soldiers were going over there, and not coming back. We went anyway. It was $10 to get into the club and drink free all night. They called it "drink and drown".

This guy (I'll call him dumb ass) who was with us started a fight with a marine outside of the club. One of Juarez finest policia was standing about 10 feet away. He walked over and grabbed dumb ass' wrist to try to cuff him.

We were literally standing about 25 feet from the bridge to the U.S. So dumb ass jerked his arm away from the cop, and made a run for the bridge. Well, the bridge sort of bowed over so once he got beyond the halfway point we lost sight of him. We thought he made it.

A few seconds later we see dumb ass running back across the bridge towards us with 4 Mexican cops on his heels, and the first cop was at the base of the bridge waiting for him. One of the cops caught up to him, and kicked his foot causing him to hit the ground. The 5 cops proceeded to beat the shit out of him, cuffed him, and took him away. There wasn't a damn thing that we could do.

The next day was Sunday. We were freaking out because we thought dumb ass might be dead, or facing hard time en la pinta. We were going to have to explain to our chain of command what happened so somebody could get this mother fkr out of Mexico. We thought we were fkd for sure.

Well, that afternoon while we were contemplating our story, dumb ass walked into the barracks. He looked like he'd been dragged through hell. He said that after they beat him they took him to jail. They made him dig ditches until late morning, and let him go.

Fkn Juarez.

ya, that's no bueno. have some similar TJ/Rosarito stories from college, but we avoided even going near that bridge, none the less into Juarez when i was there.

Visited: Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, Greece, Singapore, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales.

Worked as a tour guide in: England, France, Spain, Italy, Austria, Czech Republic, Germany, Netherlands, United States and my home country, Canada.

I was at Bliss for about 6 months in 98-99. Juarez was off limits back then too. Soldiers were going over there, and not coming back. We went anyway. It was $10 to get into the club and drink free all night. They called it "drink and drown".

This guy (I'll call him dumb ass) who was with us started a fight with a marine outside of the club. One of Juarez finest policia was standing about 10 feet away. He walked over and grabbed dumb ass' wrist to try to cuff him.

We were literally standing about 25 feet from the bridge to the U.S. So dumb ass jerked his arm away from the cop, and made a run for the bridge. Well, the bridge sort of bowed over so once he got beyond the halfway point we lost sight of him. We thought he made it.

A few seconds later we see dumb ass running back across the bridge towards us with 4 Mexican cops on his heels, and the first cop was at the base of the bridge waiting for him. One of the cops caught up to him, and kicked his foot causing him to hit the ground. The 5 cops proceeded to beat the shit out of him, cuffed him, and took him away. There wasn't a damn thing that we could do.

The next day was Sunday. We were freaking out because we thought dumb ass might be dead, or facing hard time en la pinta. We were going to have to explain to our chain of command what happened so somebody could get this mother fkr out of Mexico. We thought we were fkd for sure.

Well, that afternoon while we were contemplating our story, dumb ass walked into the barracks. He looked like he'd been dragged through hell. He said that after they beat him they took him to jail. They made him dig ditches until late morning, and let him go.

Fkn Juarez.
That's a fucked up story.

Fkn Juarez.

What's the deal with Mexican prison anyway? Did you guys get the details from him? I always wonder what would happen if you got locked up in Mexican jail. Are you fucked? Who would call? How would you even communicate if you don't speak spanish?

Those are chinese or korean, sir.

Back