1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Tell us about your travels

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Hagelslag2, Aug 15, 2015.

1. The_Renaissance Sherdog Bunceweight Champion

I've been to about 40 countries at present. In general...

Been to most of Europe, love it, massive fan of Europe.

South-East Asia is the ultimate backpacker experience, loved it too but if doing it, be prepared to be surrounded by youngsters. If you're 18-24, you'll be in heaven. If you're older than that, I was 30 when I did it (I started travelling late in life, sadly), youll have an amazing time but will find you gravitate more towards people in their late 20s of which there are still lots of cool people to meet, but a bit more limited compared to the gap-year kids.

South America has a wider range of ages, and is fucking incredible.

In October, I'm doing a further 9 countries in Europe. Then in February, Im returning to Central America to do 5 countries, visited Costa Rica and Panama in 2009. Cannot wait!!!

2. Andy Capp 2GM/c^2 belt Platinum Member

I didn't see any cameras. Did you record my first trip to Japan? I did exactly that.

It was great. After spending some time around Tokyo, we took the train, stayed in a ryokan for one night in Ise, then went to Kyoto.

I'm not well travelled but that was great. We went back the next year, my wife and I but this year we went to Italy instead.

Italy was pretty wonderful also, the Tuscan country side was a treat.

I have to say I love to eat and drink so the highlights of both Japan and Italy are the wonderful food and booze to me, but it's definitely fun to check out the temples and museums and that sort of thing when travelling.

3. SherdogGoat Platinum & Braco Belt Banned

USA
    Canada
    Pakistan
    Saudi Arabia
    UAE
    I crossed into Mexico for a few hours but I suppose that doesn't count.

USA is my favorite

I haven't traveled a lot but traveling is my biggest goal now. I plan to visit Bahrain, Qatar and Oman this year. Turkey if I get a chance this year but it would likely be next year. Next year, I mainly want to travel to Europe and see a bunch of countries. I would probably also move to Australia by the end of next year.

4. YoungBoyd World class chess player

Europe: Cyprus, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Norway, Spain, Sweden and UK.
    Asia: India, Kashmir, Pakistan, Turkey and UAE.

5. ILLogic Brown Belt

I don't really remember his whole story. This was about 16-17 years ago. I think we were just happy that the guy was alive, and we weren't going to be punished by the army for going to Juarez.

6. HunterSdVa29 Respect, tho

you generally don't get a phone call or even food in a mexican jail. hence the mad scramble to pay the cops off before your boy gets taken to jail. done it at least 10 times. mexico

7. SexyMahnaz Green Belt

Australia (living)
    Japan
    Indonesia x 2
    China
    Macau
    Malaysia x lots
    Singapore
    Vietnam
    Thailand
    Cambodia
    Iran x 2
    Turkey
    U.A.E

I had fun everywhere. But the worst was probably Indonesia the second time without $$$/connections. Singapore was nice but a bit boring. Macau had top class trannies for those taking notes

8. Thai Domi Silver Belt

Mexico, Puerto Rico,Cura

9. Matt M It is happening again....

Obviously I've been all over the UK to start with.

Ireland (Dublin)
    Estonia (Tallin)
    Czech Republic (Prague)
    Greece
    Spain
    France (Paris)
    America (Florida and Vegas)

Would love to go to Japan one day and would like to go back to America as much as possible.

10. The_Renaissance Sherdog Bunceweight Champion

Oh, I forgot the USA.

I spent 6 weeks backpacking there. Went to shitloads of cities, flew into NYC and flew to Costa Rica from San Diego, went across country. It was a blast, did it with a mate and met another mate in CA to do CR, Panama and South America, but...

USA doesn't have much of a backpacker scene, outside of NYC and California. Even then, you aren't going to meet a ton of other backpackers. In the Midwest, we chilled with locals and got wrecked, was awesome.

Also, hostels...

We noticed outside of NYC, and this includes Cali....hostels seemed to have some reprobates staying there. Like, former jailbirds with stinking tattoos and stab-wounds, who would just laze around on sofas watching TV. Never had any trouble, they were always cordial etc, but we noticed the trend after leaving NYC.

Asked a hostel owner in San Diego our last stop about this....he said, coz there isn't a huge backpacker scene in the USA, hostels sometimes make a bit of extra cash by housing ex-cons fresh out of prison. The government pays them to put them up til they get back on their feet etc.

So we met some polite but clearly unsavoury characters. The one that sticks in my mind was in LA, in Venice Beach. This dude was about 22, had just spent 2 years inside and had numerous stab-wounds on his torso that was laid bare 24/7. He literally walked around in swimshorts and nothing else 24/7. Polite enough, but looked dodgy as shit and kept telling us he was dating a cheerleader for a local sports team, can't remember which team...clearly bullshit.

One night, as we were going out, there was this wide-eyed, innocent 19yr old posh English chick, physically tiny, sat reading on the couch and this dude was literally draping himself behind her with eyes like a hungry wolf. We persuaded her to come out with us, I could never have left that lamb to what would've been a slaughter!

11. sh1tehawke Purple Belt

I'm from England and I've been to Wales, Scotland, Ireland, US, Canada, Morocco, Spain, France, Holland, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Poland, Latvia, Czech Rep, Greece, India, Nepal, Hong Kong, China, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore and Australia (where I spent 2 years working and travelling).

my favourite country was Nepal which is the most stunning and spectacular place. really cool locals too.

I want to go to every continent, 5 down so far, South America and Antarctica to go!

12. hbdope Purple Belt

UK
    Europe (France, Italy, Netherlands)
    Philippines
    South Africa
    Canada
    Sint Maarten
    Curacao
    Colombia
    Mexico
    Dominican Republic
    USA - most states

13. sh1tehawke Purple Belt

the only Muslim country I've travelled around is Morocco and the people there were really cool and super friendly. Morocco is obviously a bit less strict then other Muslim countries though.

excellent point and one of the best reasons to travel imo.

14. LordDude** White Belt

Places I've lived/done something in

US: Washington State, Oregon, California, Nevada, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, New Orleans, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Washington DC, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, and Massachusetts.

Caribbean: Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Grand Cayman Islands

Europe: Spain, France, England, Ireland, Germany, Netherlands, Italy, Serbia, Poland, Capri

Africa: Egypt

Asia: Yemen, Jordan, Japan, Phillipines, Thailand.

15. greygoose Brown Belt

It isn't so much the money, it's the fear of taking a longer flight, and him having a melt down. He'll be 2 at the beginning of next month, and the melt downs are less frequent, but the idea of being, say, an hour into a 10+ hour flight, and him going nuts isn't an appealing one. I think we will try something at the end of the year to Cali to visit my Dad. Oh, and bringing a car seat. That seems like a big pain in the ass to lug around or count as luggage.

16. Chesten_Hesten Sling'n Lead & Slapp'n Pussies, Ya Dig?

I don't get out much but a guy I know went to Walmart the other day and:

17. Jermei Steel Belt Platinum Member

A short trip is a better idea than 10 hours but ive seen it done. I sat at the front near the movie screen on a flight from Vancouver to London and a couple next to me had twin babies with them. The plane had a couple of fold down bassonettes and the babies were good. I have the same fear of being that guy with the baby that cries the whole time but we're planning a trip to Mexico this year so like 5-6 hour flight. We'll see...

18. ucunc156 Silver Belt

I love this thread, I will have to catch up.

I was born in India and moved to the US at 5, though I frequently go back. I'm only listing countries where I actually left the airport, not just flew threw:
    India, US, Singapore, Malaysia, Canada, France, Italy, Spain, Germany, and the Vatican City.

Favorite place to visit is India (food, family, ancient history, beautiful sites, can have great resort life if you want it). I don't have too much interest in going back to Germany, though I had a plenty good time there. Within the next two months, I will be adding Switzerland, Belgium and the Netherlands to this list.

The countries I most want to visit in the future are the UK, Iceland, Egypt, Thailand, Brazil, Argentina. But I plan on going to over 50 countries in my life and have a whole spreadsheet of which trips and segments I have organized/want to do.

19. Kick Strickland Banned Banned

Germany was beautiful, the people loved Americans, they celebrate everything with festivals, and beer.

Spain had hands down the most beautiful women I've ever seen.

The Azores had the most amazing natural scenery.

20. ucunc156 Silver Belt

Lol I want to stop by Luxembourg just to say I've been there. Its so fucking random as you said and I'm going from Switzerland to Belgium to the Netherlands lol.