Tell us about your travels

Hagelslag2

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Which countries have you visited and which countries would you like to visit?

What was/is your favourite country/place and where wouldn't you want to return to?

I am from the Netherlands, living part-time in Australia and I have been to: Belgium, France, Germany, Luxembourg, Spain, Italy, England, Denmark, Sweden, Monaco, Vatican City, Portugal, Switzerland, Austria, Hungary, the Czech Republic and Abu Dhabi.

The two countries I hope to visit in the near future are Japan and New Zealand.

I really like Barcelona and Rome. Barcelona has amazing architecture and Rome has so much history you could go there every year and still not get to see everything. Of course, when I say Rome I mean Rome and Vatican City. There's a big chance I will be moving to London next year, which I think is a wonderful city as well.

I wouldn't go back to Genoa, Italy. The city was dirty, full of gypsies and I saw the receptionist of my hotel being held at knife point. Also, I really don't like Paris. It's overpriced, pretty dirty and I've met some very rude people there. There are better places to visit in France, which is a beautiful country.

Spent St. Patrick's Day in Dublin in 2013. Spent the 2013/2014 New Year in Tokyo. I proposed to my wife on that trip too. For the honeymoon we went to Costa Rica. Pretty much traveled all over the US as well. My favorite place outside of the States is easily Japan. It's just amazing, plus.....ramen dude. The best place in the states for me is a tie between Austin Texas or New Orleans.

My favorite place outside of the States is easily Japan. It's just amazing, plus.....ramen dude.
Hahaha, that's actually one of the things I'm really looking forward to. I know I'm just going to gorge myself on the stuff.

As a reclusive shut in, going to Target or Walmart feels like a trip to a completely different dimmension if I get high enough. That place is pretty intense.

Oh wow, I was actually about to start a thread similar to this. I have been fortunate to have traversed almost the entire globe. I have been to all 7 continents (worked on a short-term contract just to go to Anatarctica) and have been working overseas for the last 4 years.

There are too many places to name, but I'll list the the places that I travelled to in just 2014.

Dubai (7X, mainly for business but have had a lot of free time there. Definitely my love/hate city)
Spain (Barcelona, Madrid, Avila, Segovia)
Morocco (Casablanca and Tangier)
UK (London)
Qatar (Doha for business)
Macau (2X)
Hong Kong (2X)
Thailand (Bangkok/Pattaya)
Philippines (3X, Manila)
Canada (Toronto and London)
Israel (Tel Aviv and Jerusalem)
Jordan (Amman, most beautiful girls ever)
Japan (Tokyo, friends wedding)
Brazil (Recife/Natal for the World Cup)
*was able to rack up over 250,000 miles on the One World Alliance last year (note that some of that includes bonus points)

I would consider my favorite cities Tel Aviv and Tokyo.

Last edited:
favorite place overall: either budapest or prague

favorite vacation locale: any of the Canary Islands

Favorite smaller, midsize cities: Trier and Bruges

Worst spots: Kabul and Juarez. outside of those shitholes and Kyrgyzstan, Guam was pretty impoverished

Most boring: smalltown Iowa, horrendous. corn for days

Worst spots: Kabul and Juarez. outside of those shitholes and Kyrgyzstan, Guam was pretty impoverished

I take it that you were in Kabul and Guam with the military as well as Manas/Bishkek in Kyrgyzstan while in transit to a deployment?

Wow, OP, you've been to a lot of countries, i'm jealous. I live in the US, in Massachusetts and have only been to Canada, Brasil, Argentina, and Uruguay, though i did go to Brasil 4 separate times.

I only stayed in Sao Paulo, because i was seeing a woman who lived there. The first time i went there i was so excited just to be somewhere different. I had gone to college part time while working for a long time before i graduated, so i never got to travel abroad until i was a bit older. I was just happy to be somewhere different. It was weird/awesome to be somewhere where things and people were so different from me. There are Brasilians here, of course, but being the only pasty white guy with blue eyes was very different for me. And for them too, as i got a lot of looks as if it say, "oh shit, what are you doing here?" But not in a bad way, people were almost always friendly and open, which is weird because where i live people are a bit colder. I was on my best behavior though.

I liked Buenos Aires and was surprised at how many people spoke English. They spoke very well too, at least where i was staying. I took the ferry over to Uruguay for the day, to a little beach town called Colonia Del Sacramento. It was a blast because you can legally drive atv style dune buggies (not sure of the correct name) on the street. I could not believe it and asked the rental agent several times "are you sure?" until she finally said, exasperated, "yes, i am sure!" Ha. Those vehicles were pretty fast too. I passed some cars driving back to town from the beach. It was their 'winter,' which wasn't cold for anyone from a cold weather climate, but my Brasilian girlfriend was freezing when the sun got low and i was flooring it. Didn't bother me, so i just drove as fast as possible. Wish i had had more time to spend in Argentina and Uruguay.

Countries i'd like to visit most are Spain, Australia, Japan, France and a ton of other places.

you are largely correct kind sir.

Stationed for roughly four years in Germany, one of which spent in Kabul (which included Manas, Bahrain and Ali Al Salem/Kuwait City).

AS a kid i visited my dad in Okinawa, stopping in Guam

Lucky duck. The only traveling I did all summer was from the Mayberry Lounge to the War Room.

LionTamer, you went to McMurdo Station or something like that?

When I was 18 I took buses from Denver, CO, USA, to Quito, Ecuador - via Mexico, Honduras, El Salvador, Guatemala, and Columbia. While there I met a textile importer from Denver. I told him, hey, I want to do that. I met him in Istanbul, Turkey, a few months later.

A few years later I traveled in Europe, often sleeping in fields. Belgium, Germany, Czech Republic, Spain, Austria, Italy, France. From there to Greece, and back to Turkey, before going to Israel, and then to Cairo, Egypt, where I stayed for a while. *Sidenote - I was robbed on the street in Rome.

Recently I went back to Germany, and England. I also recently went to Gitmo, Cuba, back to Honduras, the Bahamas, and Puerto Rico. Also vacationed in Hawaii recently a couple times.

I don't know that I have a favorite. They all offer something unique. I suppose if I had to say something, it would be that traveling in Muslim countries can be rough. Generally, the people are simply not friendly, and you can easily get into trouble if you don't know what you're doing.

Also, the tourism in Europe can be a bit much to take sometimes. Japanese tourists seem to be the absolute worst of all.

I can tell you this though. If you are from a first-world country, traveling for extended periods in the poorest areas will dramatically change your perspective - forever.

Last edited:
Hahaha, that's actually one of the things I'm really looking forward to. I know I'm just going to gorge myself on the stuff.

When you go, I highly recommend also taking the bullet train to Kyoto. A lot of awesome temples. Also you gotta stay at least one night in a ryokan.

When you go, I highly recommend also taking the bullet train to Kyoto. A lot of awesome temples. Also you gotta stay at least one night in a ryokan.

I would also highly recommend booking a spot on AirBnb. Tokyo hotels are ridiculously expensive and small. I can give a recommendation of the spot I stayed at. It's in Azabu Juban and only costs 80 bucks a night if I remember correctly

more than anything, if you're american, it takes awhile when you travel getting used to just walking around/dealing w/ crowds. similar to how asian tourists that come here just don't seem to understand the concept of lines and personal space.

If i wasn't standing like a##hole to bellybutton w/ the person in front of me, they'd have zero issues getting right in front of me. People just DBo' you while walking like you're not there. It got to the pt where i literally just started Heisman'n people before they got me

I've been to Europe 4x to around 15 Countries, twice traveling solo around 4 months total. Went to Thailand and Cambodia in 2012 with my gf. Parts of Canada and the States throughout my life.

Want to travel to Egypt, the Galapagos Islands, Japan, Mexico, Spain, Greece, parts of Southern Africa, New York, Iceland, India.....plus others. I miss traveling a lot...

Were you stationed at Bliss? Juarez is a shithole as is El Paso.

Were you stationed at Bliss? Juarez is a shithole as is El Paso.

I was yes, my last six months in the Army. i spent four of those in White Sands, and juarez was totally off limits (this was 2013).

I went to juarez, b/c i traveled with my college basketball team to UTEP. some of them wanted to brave Juarez and i was the only spanish speaker. nothing happened luckily, but that place was extremely suspect

Back