Team Alpha Male needs a real hc

TAM has good grappling coaches. Castillo and Holdsworth are legit. TAM currently lacks a high level striking coach. Thats the problem

It’s funny I was thinking about this when I woke up this morning and I agree. He does need to leave that team. For a number of reasons. Off the bat I think Uriah Did him wrong. I say that because I basically think that Uriah dumped all of this pressure into Cody’s lap telling him that he needed to go out and make an example of TJ, because of how TJ left the team. That TJ was this disloyal, dishonest, traitor to the team that needed to be dealt with. That put a lot of added pressure on Cody that he did not need. And also Cody does not appear to be improving at all. He came out last night looking to brawl with bad defense and got knocked out. That’s basically what happened last time.

Its not even just result based why I think that TAM has become worse than ever, its also knowing how they’ve lost almost all figurehead coaches. From Master Tong, to Ludwig, Bucholz, Kampmann.
That's my guess, I figure behind the scenes Faber is a control freak and won't let any person take the mantle as head coach for long - he'll probably accept them and keep them if they bring the team success for a short while. Then he'll demote them or cut them for whatever reason as it's encroaching on his ego as the leader and founder of the team especially now that he's no longer fighting.

Cody under the tutelage of Master Thong was UNDEFEATED

How can these Alpha Fails possibly field another contender when they're being coached by nobodies? Bring back Master Thong and they will be competitive again.

Seriously, I remember watching the countdown episode and seeing TJ put in some good work with Duane, clips of him on insta working out with Loma, K1 fighters and whatnot, and meanwhile Cody is being trained by fucking Danny Castillo and that concussed TAM guy lmao. They couldnt even keep Bucholz around.

This whole loyalty thing is gonna cost Cody his prime years and potentially his entire career. Dude needs someone like a Duane, a Hume, Greg Jackson, Firas etc. A mentor figure that will work on his flaws and not just be his bro telling him how amazing he is.

This whole merry gang of Urijah’s pals high-fiving eachother and walking around shirtless has run its course. Everyone thats smart has left and is looking for somewhere to go where they’ll get some actual guidance and knowledge, not a bunch of bros bigging eachother up.

I mean, Danny Castillo, really?

<6>
You’d want Castillo coaching you if it was a prison fight.

i think he could mix things up with other camps and still be primarily TAM. Would ook bad on him to do all that talking then jump ship himself the secodn things go south.

that's what tj wanted to do. or he still wanted to train with tam, but change his primary camp to colorado.

what ever happened with bucholz he seemed to be doing a good job with the fighters

Dont know the specifics, but I believe it was some pay issues and also that Bucholz had that MMA fight when he should have been coaching guys, or something like that.

It wasnt so much pay, but guys trying to Buchholz's job. Justin went on a month vacation after head coaching/cornering for almost 2 years straight non-stop. He took the HC job when no one wanted it, including Castillo who was just about to leave TAM too. But once Buchholz turned the team around with Cody, Emmitt, Carvillo that's when Castillo tried to weasel his way in to stealing Buchholz's job.

Once he got back from his month vacation in Alaska, Faber told him he was now just the Muy Thai coach. And Faber and Castillo would be coaching the mma portion of the gym.

Time for a switch to ATT or AKA. AKA wouldn't be a tough switch, location-wise.

what ever happened with bucholz he seemed to be doing a good job with the fighters

Dont know the specifics, but I believe it was some pay issues and also that Bucholz had that MMA fight when he should have been coaching guys, or something like that.

It wasnt so much pay, but guys trying to take Buchholz's job. Justin went on a month vacation after head coaching/cornering for almost 2 years straight non-stop. He took the HC job when no one wanted it, including Castillo who was just about to leave TAM too. But once Buchholz turned the team around with Cody, Emmitt, Carvillo that's when Castillo tried to weasel his way in to stealing Buchholz's job.

Once he got back from his month vacation in Alaska, Faber told him he was now just the Muy Thai coach. And Faber and Castillo would be taking over as the mma coaches.

That's when I ceased being a fan of Faber and TAM. They fucked over Buchholz after he helped turn the team around.

Last edited:
I think Garbrandt should leave tam and go to a more nuanced training environment. I think the tam oversparring-bro style training has damaged Garbrandt's chin and more importantly he failed to make any adjustments and lost even quicker than the first fight.

Since Garbrandt isn't likely to leave tam(he should), the least Faber can do is get a real headcoach.
If Danny Castillo is your coach in any capacity, something is wrong. Clearly Bucholz is missed

I'd say the biggest issue with Cody is that he just doesn't seem to have learnt coolness under pressure, the Chute Boxe guys back to the day you could at least say that whilst the sparing might have damaged them long term it also made them ice cool when hurt or indeed when looking to finish. Shogun and Wand would hunt down hurt opponents like a bloodhound in a very smart fashion(look at SHogun/Machida 2, instant mount and GnP finish) and tie up opponents instantly when hurt themselves, Cody just looks to start blasting away if someone is hurt or if he's hurt.

Coolness at the vital moments does I think very often act as the divide between the very good and the truly great.

It wasnt so much pay, but guys trying to Buchholz's job. Justin went on a month vacation after head coaching/cornering for almost 2 years straight non-stop. He took the HC job when no one wanted it, including Castillo who was just about to leave TAM too. But once Buchholz turned the team around with Cody, Emmitt, Carvillo that's when Castillo tried to weasel his way in to stealing Buchholz's job.

Once he got back from his month vacation in Alaska, Faber told him he was now just the Muy Thai coach. And Faber and Castillo would be taking over as the mma coaches.

That's when I ceased being a fan of Faber and TAM. They fucked over Buchholz after he helped turn the team around.

Crazy how Faber seems to be constantly sabotaging his own gym.

he just fought for a title...

i'm seriously about to be done with sherdog forums, tired of these stupid threads
He did fight for a title, and he showed the same problems he showed in his prior title fihgt. Garbrandt is very good, and no doubt TAM helped that. But they did not seem to help him improve over the last year.

that's what tj wanted to do. or he still wanted to train with tam, but change his primary camp to colorado.

i think the biggest issue was tam felt tj was being shady about it and he was joining their rival ex coach who left on bad terms with TAM, or more specifically with faber. Also, tj originally cross trained for like a year and TAM never said a word. It was when he said he was going full on colorado and that he wanted basically an open invitation to visit tam whenever he was in town that that they said fuck off. Fabers defense of that was that he had guys like cody who were striving for the 135 belt and he didnt want the 135 champ stopping by whenever he liked to scope things out.

i think the biggest issue was tam felt tj was being shady about it and he was joining their rival ex coach who left on bad terms with TAM, or more specifically with faber. Also, tj originally cross trained for like a year and TAM never said a word. It was when he said he was going full on colorado and that he wanted basically an open invitation to visit tam whenever he was in town that that they said fuck off. Fabers defense of that was that he had guys like cody who were striving for the 135 belt and he didnt want the 135 champ stopping by whenever he liked to scope things out.

ah, ok. that clears things up a bit.

Danny Castillo had 14 fights in the UFC and much of that against world class talent in the deepest division in the sport. Its absurd to say he's not qualified to coach. Most of his losses are split decision - Lentz, Miller, Ferguson and a majority decision to Barboza. He was obviously competitive with elite fighters, why trash the guy?

Mendes is world class and elite by any measure. They have a large pool of talent and what appears to be excellent facilities. Sometimes getting another look is good but there isn't anything 'wrong' with TAM.

Cody likely still has back problems and his fight IQ isn't as high as TJ. From what we know, TJ is among the best P4P fighters on planet earth right now.
it's absurd to say something for certain. we DON'T know if he is a qualified coach. there are coaches who were never great fighters, hell, this is true for almost all of them. but that doesn't make it true that he's a great coach. if anything, we don't know

lol castillo dude got KTFO by the world's slowest spinning punch

redirect
tenor.gif

i think he could mix things up with other camps and still be primarily TAM. Would ook bad on him to do all that talking then jump ship himself the secodn things go south.

also chad mendes is back and looked good. Sage looks improved since joining tam. We dont know all the details about whats going on in the gym. I think cody's biggest issue is his chin. He was knocked out cold as an amateur. He was saying in the first tj fight he didnt regain consciousness untill after the fight was stopped. his chin just cant hang.
wat, when you'er

I think Garbrandt should leave tam and go to a more nuanced training environment. I think the tam oversparring-bro style training has damaged Garbrandt's chin and more importantly he failed to make any adjustments and lost even quicker than the first fight.

Since Garbrandt isn't likely to leave tam(he should), the least Faber can do is get a real headcoach.
If Danny Castillo is your coach in any capacity, something is wrong. Clearly Bucholz is missed

I would have to agree I fully expected Cody to fight a controlled fight and a much better showing. I do like TAM as bros but I think bro vibe training isn't translating into the cage for peak fights much like Faber. Castillo was a B level fighter but a tough as a coach I'm not too sure...

Back