Team Alpha Male needs a real hc

I dont disagree, I think they should bring in an experienced coach that they can shadow for a while. Kinda like Buchholz done with Bang. But always with the intention to hand it off to Castillo and Holdsworth when they are ready
That's one way to go. But high Coach attrition and turnover does not lend itself well to championships.

MM
Cejudo
TJ
Conor
Max Holloway
Khabib
Woodley
GSP
Cormier
Stipe

Look at the coaching situation of all these champs. Very little turnover and coaching transition.

That's one way to go. But high Coach attrition and turnover does not lend itself well to championships.

MM
Cejudo
TJ
Conor
Max Holloway
Khabib
Woodley
GSP
Cormier
Stipe

Look at the coaching situation of all these champs. Very little turnover and coaching transition.
it doesnt have to be short term, say 3 years or so. Build it up together then hand it off when its built. Then that coach is free to go open his own facility and have his own team. Its hard to get great coaches to just settle for running someone elses team when they know they can do well for themselves

Team Short-Man Complex

I swear, this Urijah is so insecure about his vertical disability. His team keeps getting put in their place by real alpha males.

more like they need a legit striking coach/head coach who can oversee the fighters progress. Right now i don't think Castillo is the right one.

I mean to be fair I don't think Cody is some horrible example of mis coaching ala Rousey, he's basically a classic example of a guy who got by on a relatively narrow gameplan for years and didn't deal with issues he had elsewhere as a result.

The biggest error by far was IMHO signing for the rematch with TJ straight away, he should have been rebuilding for 2-3 fights first looking to advance his game rather than diving straight back in.

it doesnt have to be short term, say 3 years or so. Build it up together then hand it off when its built. Then that coach is free to go open his own facility and have his own team. Its hard to get great coaches to just settle for running someone elses team when they know they can do well for themselves

What elite coach would want to devote 3 years to a team and then just leave? I don't know any elite coach that would want to do that. Which is precisely why the TAM gym will continue to struggle at the championship level. This is why I can not grasp why people menstruate so heavily about what TJ did. He pulled himself out of a coaching situation that virtually no champions are in and put himself in a coaching situation that practically every champion is in.

The way to make TAM a camp with champions is to find an elite coach, pay him well, and give him a significant minority ownership stake. But Faber will never, ever do that. He would rather have the money and the ego stroking that comes with ownership and settle for almost champs.

TAM is eventually going to devolve into a 'progression camp'. The kind of place where fighters go to get their start and work into the top 6-10 in the rankings, then move to a more elite coaching model to get the rest of the way there.

What elite coach would want to devote 3 years to a team and then just leave? I don't know any elite coach that would want to do that. Which is precisely why the TAM gym will continue to struggle at the championship level. This is why I can not grasp why people menstruate so heavily about what TJ did. He pulled himself out of a coaching situation that virtually no champions are in and put himself in a coaching situation that practically every champion is in.

The way to make TAM a camp with champions is to find an elite coach, pay him well, and give him a significant minority ownership stake. But Faber will never, ever do that. He would rather have the money and the ego stroking that comes with ownership and settle for almost champs.

TAM is eventually going to devolve into a 'progression camp'. The kind of place where fighters go to get their start and work into the top 6-10 in the rankings, then move to a more elite coaching model to get the rest of the way there.
what elite coach wants to spend their entire careers making other people money when they can make money themselves?

only white farm boys can wrestle? Here is a photo of 2018 Team USA, considered the best team in history, ignorant fuck.
36039347_1766618143392013_5837979548863430656_n.jpg

Nice pic. I love Jordan Burroughs. He is a fucking animal.

what elite coach wants to spend their entire careers making other people money when they can make money themselves?

Ummmm.....that's precisely my point. That is why TAM goes through coaches. If you want a top coach to stay, you need to pay him well and give them a sizable ownership stake.

Ummmm.....that's precisely my point. That is why TAM goes through coaches. If you want a top coach to stay, you need to pay him well and give them a sizable ownership stake.
or just let the guys that have been their for years take control and pay them a good wage. They dont always need to look elsewhere.

Castillo and Holdsworth might be great coaches, we've not exactly had a long time to judge their coaching abilities.

or just let the guys that have been their for years take control and pay them a good wage. They dont always need to look elsewhere.

Castillo and Holdsworth might be great coaches, we've not exactly had a long time to judge their coaching abilities.

Sounds like a perfect strategy to continue getting the same results. Which are not bad all things considered. Just not conducive to producing dominant champs.

Sounds like a perfect strategy to continue getting the same results. Which are not bad all things considered. Just not conducive to producing dominant champs.
what do you know about producing dominant champs? I think some TAM fighters that have been successful at UFC level know a bit better than we do

They had one and lost him in Bang. Others haven't made an impact. I agree it comes off as bro-like throwing down in the gym and hanging after that. Get to a certain point via talent and being in top shape, and the gameplanning is non-existent in almost every big fight. Cody won't leave though, too loyal, but he should.

I think Garbrandt should leave tam and go to a more nuanced training environment. I think the tam oversparring-bro style training has damaged Garbrandt's chin and more importantly he failed to make any adjustments and lost even quicker than the first fight.

Since Garbrandt isn't likely to leave tam(he should), the least Faber can do is get a real headcoach.
If Danny Castillo is your coach in any capacity, something is wrong. Clearly Bucholz is missed

I agree. When they briefly had Ludwig at the helm, they were top of the pops. When he left, they regressed, while the lighter weight classes progressed.

Its not that Castillo is coaching. It's that he and Holdsworth are the striking coaches. There's a reason the Alpha Male fighters no matter how talented just don't seem to improve their striking.

Yes Tj improved but that was when Bang was at Tam.

Mendes just one-punch KO'd Jury, who had never been stopped by KO in his career. You can watch the video footage of Mendes practicing that specific exchange at TAM.

TAM has a world class facility and plenty of high level experience and coaching, not to speak of how many additional striking (or any) coaches you can bring in or work with.

Cody went out and fought emotional swinging for the fences at got played for his low fight IQ. There is no way on planet earth he was coached to fight the want he did, he just lost his cool. That is a problem that travels with you.

Mendes just one-punch KO'd Jury, who had never been stopped by KO in his career. You can watch the video footage of Mendes practicing that specific exchange at TAM.

TAM has a world class facility and plenty of high level experience and coaching, not to speak of how many additional striking (or any) coaches you can bring in or work with.

Cody went out and fought emotional swinging for the fences at got played for his low fight IQ. There is no way on planet earth he was coached to fight the want he did, he just lost his cool. That is a problem that travels with you.
Cody fought emotionally because he was being used as Faber's attack dog. That comes back to Tam. They have a great facility, experience, and lots of training partners, that is it. If tam's coaching was so great he would have made some adjustments, instead he lost even more dominantly than the first time

Name one Tam fighter whos striking has improved to an elite level?

No ones saying Tam isn't a great camp. Just not the same level as places like Tristar, Att, or Jacksons

Back