Tapping Out An Instructor?

I've come close, but obviously I don't think my instructor is really going all out nor probably anywhere close to it sadly.

I'm 100% sure that I've never entered the realm of being even remotely close to catching my instructors in anything.....ever.

I've never even come close. Never even passed his guard. We did a drill where he was to defend the guard pass with no hands and not only was I unable to pass but he triangled me.

I'm 100% sure that I've never entered the realm of being even remotely close to catching my instructors in anything.....ever.

In 10 years if you are a black belt and Drac will be older...

You're right prob not lol.

What is your approach when fighting/rolling with your instructor?

Do you really go for a submission if the opportunity presents itself, or do you purposefully hesitate or hold back out of respect, or some sense of hierarchy?

Personally, it would seem to me that going full-on is the proper thing to do; if you truly respect your master, then you should honor them by trying to use the techniques they taught you as effectively as possible.

Holding back will not make them any better anyways.

So I think it's better for you and better for them if you go at it as if it were anyone else.

What do you guys think?

I try to crush them. And I sure as fuck don't call them "master."

Last edited:
I only have ever had one of my instructors in a dominant position once, ever. And it was because he let me put him there pretty much. I was able to hold on to a mounted arm bar, but he had his arms in tight to his chest and locked up. When he decided he was done with that position he reversed me, easily. If he didn't let me get there, I'd never have gotten close.

I have been told by my instructors that I have been improving, but not to the point that I can do a damn thing to them. Hopefully one day though.

I roll with my instructor like I roll with all the people who are better than me. I start each roll with the game plan of "winning".

In the last 2 years I have tried 1 choke on my instructor. If I could have finished it I would have choked the shit out of him. I guess you can call it payback for the 1,000,000 times he has submitted me.

He's way better than I am so the chances of me getting a submission are less than my chances of winning the power ball lottery.

I don't see how there is a problem with a submission on your instructor. I have never seen my instructor tap and the day that someone catches him in a submission I fell sorry for them. It will probably be followed by 10 minutes of torture.

I try to get a tap, the whole point of rolling with him is to show him you are learning and using the techniques he has taught you.

I will probably never tap him though haha, he's just that much better.

Never tapped my coach out. Never really come that close to be honest, always gives me something to aim for.

I can count on one hand how many times i've thrown/taken him down. lol

I've tapped out my instructor, Keith Owen, 3 times. He never goes full on, and ALWAYS starts in a very bad postition for himself. But, I caught him tricky moves. First thing out of his mouth was good job, second thing was show me that. You only get one try with a move. He is like a walking hard drive full of moves. He doesn't care for real, and told me he was very proud. It's only because of his teaching and support of us learning out side of the school, that we do it once in a blue moon.
When he was getting ready for a tourney last year, I saw the full force Keith Owen. It was scare good.

I am not good enough to be in the position to submit on regular basis. The rare occasion that I am able to get into a dominant position it does create a bit of an awkward dilemma.

My instructor is also my mma teammate/training partner and we train all the disciplines together. I have no problem trying to punch him or taking him down but i still would feel weird actually getting a submission.

Eventually you want to get to the point where you can consistently beat your instructor at your sport. How long do you think Kevin Rooney would have done against Mike Tyson? Or Angelo Dundee against Ali? Or any NFL coach against any of their players on the field?

The best coaches in the world aren't the best athletes, either because they're now too old, or because they never were superstars and so learned to think about their sport and so become great coaches. This is as true for BJJ as for any sport.

Of course, if you're a beginner you're not going to beat your instructor. But eventually, if your instructor is doing a good job teaching, you should be able to do so because of the combination of them getting older and you getting better. I'd be pissed off if I trained someone for ten years and they hadn't learned enough from me to beat me when I was an old man.

I always go full on, but even if I was to tap him out I would just assume its because hes going easy on me anyway.

my goal with every roll is to improve. with that said, whenever i get to roll with my instructor, i am trying to submit him. i never get close but im trying. one thing ive learned from rolling with him is anything i do get against him is earned and well deserved....and rare.

Of course I go all out. But it doesnt make much of a difference..
My instructor is Jamie Cruz, Renzo Gracie blackbelt, Abu Dhabi competitor, Grapplers Quest Champ , Grapplers Quest Superfight champ, and Jim Miller and Dan Miller's BJJ coach.

I reguarded him the other day, and that was about as good a victory as I'll ever get.
I never get close. If you tap your instructor... time for a new instructor...

At the first place I went to, I got blue belt in less than 6 months, was tapping everyone out there, and eventually caught my instructor in a heel hook, who scolded me for cranking a leg submission. His fat ass was refusing to tap. I left, and he tried to sue me for breach of contract. I won't drop his name.

Another point, I have a guy that is brown belt, yet 5'3" ////122lbs.

If I ever tapped out my instructor, I think I'd have a heart attack from the shock

i rolled with one of my brown belt instructors today for about 10 minutes.
he probably subbed me 15 - 20 times. it was awesome.

i passed into half guard one time "for real," then got swept and tapped.

Back