Tapping Out An Instructor?

The closest I came to tapping out my (blackbelt) instructor was when I locked a gi choke from the back (or bow & arrow as most call it). It was all tight & he was making gurgling sounds but he still managed to escape. He pretty much gave his back on purpose in the first place though. I don't think I'll be close to tapping him out soon. He did tell us that it would be an honor for him if one of his students tap him out.

i rolled with one of my brown belt instructors today for about 10 minutes.
he probably subbed me 15 - 20 times. it was awesome.

i passed into half guard one time "for real," then got swept and tapped.

Cool, but, moving to half guard is not a pass.

Dude, this is jiu-jitsu, not Mortal Kombat. Jesus.

The dude in your AV knows what I'm talking about.

1261826454.g.jpg

FINISH HIM!!!

mk1scorpionthumb.gif_320_320_256_9223372036854775000_0_1_0.gif

Of course i would submit him if i could. Now i wouldn't go "balls to the wall", i take my time and do the best that i can. At my gym it is stressed to leave your ego at the door.

Tapping out my instructor? Not gonna happen anytime soon.

If you're not occasionally tapping out your instructor when rolling in class, then he's not doing the job he should be doing teaching you. To learn to succeed you have to succeed, and as an instructor that means letting the student succeed when they do everything right. Its why national wrestling coaches and world class wrestlers like Cael Sanderson get taken down by 10 year olds in practice - they're teaching their students to succeed when everything is done perfectly. The student makes a mistake and the takedown doesn't work.

Same thing for rolling in BJJ. If you do everything right, the instructor should let you get the tap. If you do something wrong, he will escape. This is true for teaching just about every sport out there - I've seen it in baseball, hockey, tennis, you name it, and by the professionals when teaching their schools.

Now if you roll against your instructor in competition, its suddenly different - he should be going for the win. But rolling in his class is different, he should no more be stopping your every attempt in rolling than he'd be doing it in a drill.

I don't get this. I think this way of teaching BJJ would build a false sense of accomplishment in the student.

Every once in a blue moon I tap my instructor (whoever it is at the time). Odds are about 3% at best though. The rest of the time I end up being owned. It's like playing a chess grand master...lol.

My instructor is so tight that rolling light isn't an option for me. I have to keep it on, or else I'll be tapping ASAP. I tapped my teacher once with a knee bar...it got me a purple belt. :)

My instructor is so tight that rolling light isn't an option for me. I have to keep it on, or else I'll be tapping ASAP. I tapped my teacher once with a knee bar...it got me a purple belt. :)

that's a pretty legit way to get your belt.

My instructor can literaly tap me with one hand in under a minute, so I probably won't be facing this dilemme in the next gazilion years

I have a 'professor'(assistant instructor) brown belt who is 125lbs.
I attempt to go move for move and be really technical with him.

my master is a btt black belt under mario sperry.
also is a 2x world champion who outweights me by 30 kilograms.
hehe!
i never tap him of course!

I don't get this. I think this way of teaching BJJ would build a false sense of accomplishment in the student.

Its teaching students to succeed, and its actually done in just about every sport. If all your instructor does is beat you, all you learn to do is tap - good for the instructor's ego and your humility, but not much of anything else.

For the most part, students know that their instructor is teaching while rolling. I doubt any of the ten year olds who take down cael Sanderson in his seminars really believe that they can take down one of the greatest wrestlers the world has ever produced.

The reason for doing it is that the instructor can guide the student very directly this way. Block every path but the one that leads to success. Your foot is wrong? You get nowhere. Your posture is wrong? You get nowhere. But if you do everything right, the instructor gives you positive feedback by allowing you to continue, and if you keep doing it right, you get the tap. Its actually a technique for re-wiring your nervous system, strengthening the correct nerve pathways - as far as I know it was the Soviets who developed it as part of their exercise science, but by now its pretty well accepted in sports physiology. If someone loses all the time, the only nerve pathways that are strengthened are the ones that lead to losing.

Or put it this way. If you're doing drills with a partner who blocks everything you do, how quickly do you think you're going to progress? Same principle.

I've never had this issue. I just start thinking about good quotes for my obituary.

Its teaching students to succeed, and its actually done in just about every sport. If all your instructor does is beat you, all you learn to do is tap - good for the instructor's ego and your humility, but not much of anything else.

For the most part, students know that their instructor is teaching while rolling. I doubt any of the ten year olds who take down cael Sanderson in his seminars really believe that they can take down one of the greatest wrestlers the world has ever produced.

The reason for doing it is that the instructor can guide the student very directly this way. Block every path but the one that leads to success. Your foot is wrong? You get nowhere. Your posture is wrong? You get nowhere. But if you do everything right, the instructor gives you positive feedback by allowing you to continue, and if you keep doing it right, you get the tap. Its actually a technique for re-wiring your nervous system, strengthening the correct nerve pathways - as far as I know it was the Soviets who developed it as part of their exercise science, but by now its pretty well accepted in sports physiology. If someone loses all the time, the only nerve pathways that are strengthened are the ones that lead to losing.

Or put it this way. If you're doing drills with a partner who blocks everything you do, how quickly do you think you're going to progress? Same principle.

Good post!

In my line of work we would call that type of teaching "scaffolding" and it an extremely useful and effective method of instruction.

In my line of work we would call that type of teaching "scaffolding" and it an extremely useful and effective method of instruction.

I was under the impression that scaffolding was teaching one lesson to multiple levels?

Back