Tapping Out An Instructor?

Peteyandjia

Spring Saku
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score
What is your approach when fighting/rolling with your instructor?

Do you really go for a submission if the opportunity presents itself, or do you purposefully hesitate or hold back out of respect, or some sense of hierarchy?

Personally, it would seem to me that going full-on is the proper thing to do; if you truly respect your master, then you should honor them by trying to use the techniques they taught you as effectively as possible.

Holding back will not make them any better anyways.

So I think it's better for you and better for them if you go at it as if it were anyone else.

What do you guys think?

obi%20wan.jpg

Haha... as if that's an option. I'm fighting for my life.

If the time comes that he isn't destroying me, I'll go for a submission. Until then I'll stay in my survival positions

I don't see myself tapping out my instructor EVER. I get tooled in every aspect of the game when i roll with him. No shame in it though, hes meant to tool you. When i roll with him i dont go 150% but its hard to go at 100% because his game is so tight, doesnt give you any room to move.

that being said, if you can tap out your instructor consistently and hes not "helio" old and wise than its time to find a new gym

lol is this thread serious? and who calls their instructor master rofl :icon_twis

The only time I ever tap out my instructor is when he purposely makes a mistake and usually he still gets out

I've tapped my Gi instructor. Of course he's only a blue belt with two stripes, so it's not like he's a black belt or anything.

I've never tapped my MMA/no-gi instructor and probably never will. He's insanely good.

bow to your sensei!

While I am aware of the reference, I still have to wonder whether or not you realize that "sensei" simply means "instructor" or "teacher" in Japanese.

I see it constantly tossed around as if it is some ridiculous title, while terms like "instructor" and "professor" are perfectly acceptable. It's pretty ridiculous.

If I see the chance if course I'll take it, But then again I can't see myself tapping my instructors. It's like for everything I do he knows a counter and then Boom I got no idea what I'm doing and he's like hey go that way do it that way just keep going and don't show weakness, But then again my mind is mostly on standing up muay thai, But yea I mean I'd love to be as good and I don't think it's possible to be better, And if you are better then that means he not as a good as instructor or isn't as a good instructor anymore.

While I am aware of the reference, I still have to wonder whether or not you realize that "sensei" simply means "instructor" or "teacher" in Japanese.

I see it constantly tossed around as if it is some ridiculous title, while terms like "instructor" and "professor" are perfectly acceptable. It's pretty ridiculous.

So are you a Japanophile by any chance?

Sorry wanna delete this post but don't know how ?

So are you a Japanophile by any chance?

Actually in most dojo's they say sensi even if the instructor isn't japanese. Most martial art instructors of today had a japanese instructors and were taught things the old fashion way when they were taught MMA. Now I'm not saying all but most martial arts were brought in from asian that includes japan. I call my instructor sensi it's just being respectful to what culture started the art. I mean in the old days thats what most martial art school would say, So most martial art schools try to keep the same feeling keep going.

I'm to busy being turned into a pretzel for his own entertainment to get close to a sub. Lol

I beat my wreslting coach in a match once. We did 1 min. 1st round, and 2 min 2nd and 3rd rounds. I won 6-5, after I did I told him, "hey coach, do you realise what just happened? I beat you by a point." He said "oh yeah...... It won't happen again." And it never did. :(

If he is letting me work and he allows me to sink in a sub, I'll do so slowly and at the pace he has set.

If he is rolling hard (no homo), I'll try my hardest to sink a sub. Of course he's never really gone pass approximately 75% against me so this is just in theory.

... that being said, if you can tap out your instructor consistently and hes not "Helio" old and wise than its time to find a new gym

What if your Instructor is a 165 Lb Black Belt and he wrestling with his 245 Lb Brown Belt? Should the Brown Belt leave his instructor?

Dude, go watch Napolean Dynamite.

Back