Tapping Out An Instructor?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Peteyandjia, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Peteyandjia

Peteyandjia Autumn Rose Staff Member Forum Administrator

What is your approach when fighting/rolling with your instructor?

Do you really go for a submission if the opportunity presents itself, or do you purposefully hesitate or hold back out of respect, or some sense of hierarchy?

Personally, it would seem to me that going full-on is the proper thing to do; if you truly respect your master, then you should honor them by trying to use the techniques they taught you as effectively as possible.

Holding back will not make them any better anyways.

So I think it's better for you and better for them if you go at it as if it were anyone else.

What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

2. TangoMF

TangoMF Blue Belt

Haha... as if that's an option. I'm fighting for my life.

3. Brian2

Brian2 Blue Belt

If the time comes that he isn't destroying me, I'll go for a submission. Until then I'll stay in my survival positions

4. Sayian

Sayian Blue Belt

I don't see myself tapping out my instructor EVER. I get tooled in every aspect of the game when i roll with him. No shame in it though, hes meant to tool you. When i roll with him i dont go 150% but its hard to go at 100% because his game is so tight, doesnt give you any room to move.

that being said, if you can tap out your instructor consistently and hes not "helio" old and wise than its time to find a new gym

5. Pankratios

Pankratios Purple Belt

I'm doing the same...

6. billdog

billdog Brown Belt

lol is this thread serious? and who calls their instructor master rofl :icon_twis

7. JackTucker

JackTucker Orange Belt

The only time I ever tap out my instructor is when he purposely makes a mistake and usually he still gets out

8. Jaxx

Jaxx Green Belt

bow to your sensei!

9. Pierced7681

Pierced7681 Black Belt

I've tapped my Gi instructor. Of course he's only a blue belt with two stripes, so it's not like he's a black belt or anything.

I've never tapped my MMA/no-gi instructor and probably never will. He's insanely good.

10. Darkslide632

Darkslide632 Brown Belt

While I am aware of the reference, I still have to wonder whether or not you realize that "sensei" simply means "instructor" or "teacher" in Japanese.

I see it constantly tossed around as if it is some ridiculous title, while terms like "instructor" and "professor" are perfectly acceptable. It's pretty ridiculous.

11. De7

De7 White Belt

If I see the chance if course I'll take it, But then again I can't see myself tapping my instructors. It's like for everything I do he knows a counter and then Boom I got no idea what I'm doing and he's like hey go that way do it that way just keep going and don't show weakness, But then again my mind is mostly on standing up muay thai, But yea I mean I'd love to be as good and I don't think it's possible to be better, And if you are better then that means he not as a good as instructor or isn't as a good instructor anymore.

12. Supereem

Supereem Black Belt

So are you a Japanophile by any chance?

13. De7

De7 White Belt

Sorry wanna delete this post but don't know how ?

14. De7

De7 White Belt

Actually in most dojo's they say sensi even if the instructor isn't japanese. Most martial art instructors of today had a japanese instructors and were taught things the old fashion way when they were taught MMA. Now I'm not saying all but most martial arts were brought in from asian that includes japan. I call my instructor sensi it's just being respectful to what culture started the art. I mean in the old days thats what most martial art school would say, So most martial art schools try to keep the same feeling keep going.

15. Darkslide632

Darkslide632 Brown Belt

No more than anyone who uses the term "upa", "kimono", "mata le

16. Victa***

Victa*** iCare

I'm to busy being turned into a pretzel for his own entertainment to get close to a sub. Lol

17. justkidin

justkidin White Belt

I beat my wreslting coach in a match once. We did 1 min. 1st round, and 2 min 2nd and 3rd rounds. I won 6-5, after I did I told him, "hey coach, do you realise what just happened? I beat you by a point." He said "oh yeah...... It won't happen again." And it never did. :(

18. platfox

platfox Silver Belt

If he is letting me work and he allows me to sink in a sub, I'll do so slowly and at the pace he has set.

If he is rolling hard (no homo), I'll try my hardest to sink a sub. Of course he's never really gone pass approximately 75% against me so this is just in theory.

19. ichimonji

ichimonji Blue Belt

What if your Instructor is a 165 Lb Black Belt and he wrestling with his 245 Lb Brown Belt? Should the Brown Belt leave his instructor?

20. tenniswhiz

tenniswhiz Steel Belt

Dude, go watch Napolean Dynamite.