Talking about past relationships with your significant other...

huskylord

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
...is that always a mistake?
Is it best to let sleeping dogs lie? Do you personally know people who your significant other was with in the past?

Every time...

tumblr_mnu0uzrYZm1sqcu9ho1_500.gif

Avoid it if possible. If she persists, be neutral and emotion less and just state the reasons why it didn't work and leave it at that. Then say you are happy it ended otherwise you wouldn't have met your current girlfriend.

I don't talk about the specifics with past relationships, but since they were both 8 and 3 year relationships respectively, which constitutes more than a third of my life, it's hard not to dance around names and instances. Moreover I wouldn't tell my fianc

I've been with my wife 14 years and each of us only really had 2 or 3 prior "relationships." We pretty much know everything about them, but I still would never bring it up or change the subject immediately if for some reason it ever came up. I hate thinking about it

Depends on the girl asking the questions.

Best thing to do most of the time in this scenario is to lie.

My GF is a bit more comfortable talking about it than I am. She likes to make fun of a woman that I fucked once, before we were together.

Can't say that I could comfortably do the same thing.

I was at his wedding and knew his wife reasonably well before they broke up, there's no reason for me to feel crap about it. They weren't happy, they broke up, now we're married, we are happy.

He met one of my exes before we got together and one after, no big deal. They got on well.

If you can be adult about it, I don't see an issue.

Getting into any details is always a bad idea... But any girl I might potentially date will definitely be familiar with my Ex's because I'm still friends with all of them/talk with them regularly. And I don't see that as a bad thing at all... Weed out the insecure girls with baggage and demonstrate value with the quality of girl I'm used to being with.

Get it out of the way quickly and nonchalantly. No need to be a dick or try to inspire jealousy... But it's good to identify jealousy right off the bat and make the right decision, because that shit will only get worse with time.

I never talk about lefty...but the temptation to have an affair is so strong though. I'm conflicted.

I was at his wedding and knew his wife reasonably well before they broke up, there's no reason for me to feel crap about it. They weren't happy, they broke up, now we're married, we are happy.

He met one of my exes before we got together and one after, no big deal. They got on well.

If you can be adult about it, I don't see an issue.

Exactly.

My broad has met 2 of my ex's and they get along pretty good. One is my sons mom and the other is my brothers sister in law. The thing is is that we are all adults, no reason for jealousy or hard feelings, the past is the past. She was with my brothers best friend who Ive known for 25 years about 2 years before me. I dont like to think about it but him and I are still great friends.

She asks details about all my relationships and I never hold back, she more just clowns me for it and we laugh. I dont ask her shit about hers but her past is NOTHING like mine. I dated and slept with ALOT more people than her. Ive known her for 20 years and she was very protected growing up to where I was the complete opposite.

my wife keeps trying to get more details about my ex's but I just shrug it off and say I'd rather not talk about it because it's in the past.

I see very little reason to engage in that type of conversation.

Back