1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

T.J. Dillashaw: I would have finished Cory Sandhagen if my leg was healthy

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by KazDibiase, Jul 30, 2021.

1. KazDibiase "My style is kneeing people in the face."

[​IMG]

Had he not injured his knee, T.J. Dillashaw is confident his fight with Cory Sandhagen wouldn’t have gone the distance.

In a back-and-forth battle, two of the three judges rewarded Dillashaw for his pressure and control, despite Sandhagen’s ability to bust him up. But the former two-time UFC bantamweight champion explained that after suffering a displaced bucket handle tear of his lateral meniscus and a lateral collateral ligament, his mobility was completely compromised, especially in the grappling exchanges.

“Cory is really lucky that my knee was messed up when I took his back so many times, because it would have been a different story if I was actually able to lift him or throw my hooks in,” Dillashaw said on Bruce Buffer’s “IT’S TIME!!!” podcast. “When I took his back, I tried doing a couple of trips. But every time – I remember lifting him in the second round, I took his back and my knee completely buckled on me and I was like ‘Oh, we can’t do that anymore.’

“So a lot of those back controls would have been – I believe I would have finished him if my leg would have been healthy. But you know what? Maybe it’s better I didn’t. I got to show that I have that grit, I have that comeback mentality, I have that fight-through-adversity, and I showed that my cardio is second to none. No one is going to outpace me. I work harder than everyone. So maybe it worked out in my favor. I built a lot of fans back in that fight.”

Most of the media scored the fight in favor of Sandhagen, but when factoring in the judges’ criteria for scoring, Dillashaw has no doubt that he did enough to win.

“Going into the decision, I heard split – got me a little nervous. But I knew that it was a tough-fought fight,” Dillashaw said. “I knew that Cory did a great job. He definitely did a good job of using his range and his footwork and his striking accuracy and things like that. But you’ve got to remember, this fight is fought on rounds. He did do most of his damage in Round 2 when I came out after I popped my knee.

“Most of the damage he did in the fight was in Round 2. Even if you give him two rounds, all of the damage he did were in those two rounds he did it in. The other rounds, I was controlling the distance, I was controlling the pace, I was on his back. I won. I did what I had to do on one leg to get that win. To beat a guy like Cory Sandhagen on one leg, I ain’t going to be mad at that.”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2021...-finished-cory-sandhagen-with-healthy-leg-ufc

iwantgsp, Chok Sok Te, Iroh and 3 others like this.
  2. Kaynan Purple Belt

TJ was the one who was nearly finished, at multiple points in the fight.

Strijfy, blastoff, rjmbrd and 12 others like this.
  3. Substance Abuse n00b moderator Staff Member Forum Moderator

Stop it. Just be respectful. Cory was. Got damn. TJ gonna TJ.

4. Terrestrial Extra Yellow Belt

He has a good point... Even if I doubt he could of finished Sandhagen and it's ego talking. Your post tho... You speaking facts but you're ignoring the "if" scenario that TJ was talking about. He knee was fucked and Sandhagen gave up his back over and over again... Also facts.

Now whether this would have amounted to jack shit if TJ could of slammed him or put hooks in ... That's where the debate would be...

I think TJ would of won a tad more convincing but that's it.

5. Darius0995 I'd rather be a blind moth.

I agree with him.

6. ChumpyKiwi Brown Belt

The way Cory kept giving up his back makes me think that Aljo chokes him out again in the 1st round. Tj isnt the same level of backpacker tho I was expecting him to be more effective in the grappling.

7. Sweater of AV Gold Belt

Classic Dildo.

Poirierfan likes this.
  8. Frankie Baby! Lost AV bet

Could've, he said he couldn't get the hooks in when he went for Cory's back, so maybe.

9. KID Yamamoto PREMIUM DYNAMITE

Says the guy who got dropped

10. 1s1k Orange Belt

Coulda shoulda woulda. The thing is Cory did that to his leg. It’s kinda like saying if I would have been able to see out of both eyes I would have done better after your opponent’s jab smashed your orbital.

It’s going to be interesting if TJ will be able to finish a fight camp uninjured off the juice because that’s where it really helps you. He listed like 4 serious injuries in camp that hampered him on top of the injuries that Cory gave him in the fight.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    Skarsgard, JoeRowe and Eric Silva 2.0 like this.
  11. tat2man5k Black Belt

TJ also doesn't wear shirts

12. tat2man5k Black Belt

TJ also doesn't wear shirts

13. Paolo Delutis Silver Belt

I agree ..

Uncompromised TJ would of beat/stop the MW hiding at BW in sandhagen...

That said it was a close fight cuz of the injury and TJ exposed him regardless if they rematch TJ shuts him down within 3 rnds

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  14. MarleyLynx Black Belt

Bruh.... Perhaps but his leg got hurt because he got SUBBED and didn't tap. That was damage inflicted by SANDHAGGEN

Thats like saying man, if he didn't punch me really hard and knock me out I would have won.

15. M.U.S.C.L.E. Yellow Card Yellow Card

That's a big "if."

16. JosephTessaro Silver Belt

IF's and but's, candy and nuts...

17. BonesWinckleJones Brown Belt

tj is a warrior nobody beating him, he is willing to die in there i respect that

Alanf7, KOPPE and MarleyLynx like this.
  18. MarleyLynx Black Belt

I mean... he's been but legit TJ is a beast. He marched forward. I gave him more stock in that L tbh. I learned about him.

Alanf7 likes this.
  19. FrankDux Purple Belt

[​IMG]

20. Brom Bones Brown Belt

Considering how often he took Corey's back Sandhagen gave up his back, I don't necessarily disagree. I'm sure I'm not the only one that kept thinking, "How come TJ is doing shit with these positions?"

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    Chok Sok Te and MarleyLynx like this.