T.J. Dillashaw: I would have finished Cory Sandhagen if my leg was healthy

I’ve saw nothing in TJ’s career that would lead us to believe he would’ve finished him so easily. Sandhagen did give up his back quite a bit but there’s obviously more to grappling than that.

This guy can't stop making excuses even when he wins. What a cunt.

That was Cory's best chance to beat TJ, and he couldn't get it done.

I thought it was impossible but TJ make himself more unlikable everytime he speaks.

I thought it was impossible but TJ make himself more unlikable everytime he speaks.

It's nuts. You'd think he would have learned some humility after being caught cheating, but nope. Still just as big of an asshole. At least when Colby talks it's pretty obvious he's trying to play a character. TJ is just an authentic piece of shit.

tj-dillashaw-cory-sandhagen-ufc-on-espn-27-2.jpg

Had he not injured his knee, T.J. Dillashaw is confident his fight with Cory Sandhagen wouldn’t have gone the distance.

In a back-and-forth battle, two of the three judges rewarded Dillashaw for his pressure and control, despite Sandhagen’s ability to bust him up. But the former two-time UFC bantamweight champion explained that after suffering a displaced bucket handle tear of his lateral meniscus and a lateral collateral ligament, his mobility was completely compromised, especially in the grappling exchanges.

“Cory is really lucky that my knee was messed up when I took his back so many times, because it would have been a different story if I was actually able to lift him or throw my hooks in,” Dillashaw said on Bruce Buffer’s “IT’S TIME!!!” podcast. “When I took his back, I tried doing a couple of trips. But every time – I remember lifting him in the second round, I took his back and my knee completely buckled on me and I was like ‘Oh, we can’t do that anymore.’

“So a lot of those back controls would have been – I believe I would have finished him if my leg would have been healthy. But you know what? Maybe it’s better I didn’t. I got to show that I have that grit, I have that comeback mentality, I have that fight-through-adversity, and I showed that my cardio is second to none. No one is going to outpace me. I work harder than everyone. So maybe it worked out in my favor. I built a lot of fans back in that fight.”

Most of the media scored the fight in favor of Sandhagen, but when factoring in the judges’ criteria for scoring, Dillashaw has no doubt that he did enough to win.

“Going into the decision, I heard split – got me a little nervous. But I knew that it was a tough-fought fight,” Dillashaw said. “I knew that Cory did a great job. He definitely did a good job of using his range and his footwork and his striking accuracy and things like that. But you’ve got to remember, this fight is fought on rounds. He did do most of his damage in Round 2 when I came out after I popped my knee.

“Most of the damage he did in the fight was in Round 2. Even if you give him two rounds, all of the damage he did were in those two rounds he did it in. The other rounds, I was controlling the distance, I was controlling the pace, I was on his back. I won. I did what I had to do on one leg to get that win. To beat a guy like Cory Sandhagen on one leg, I ain’t going to be mad at that.”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2021...-finished-cory-sandhagen-with-healthy-leg-ufc
Meh.
Let's start by acknowledging that Cory is the one who hurt his leg. it was not an accident or an old injury.

Besides, I still think Cory won that fight.

But overall, it is stupid to think TJ would win if he had a healthy leg.
Cory fought against the TJ that was in front of him. Maybe he allowed TJ to get his back because he knew there was no danger to do so.

No one knows what would have happened if things were different. Bottom line is that Cory trusted he had the fight in the bag and coasted through the last round... his own words. Made a stupid mistake. Paid for it.

they will meet again. And we will see what happens then.

Translation “Cory is really lucky that USADA has been testing me like crazy and I was not able to get on me EPO” Dillashaw said. "I believe I would have finished him if I had been allowed my IV infusions to recover quicker from the weight-cut” Dillashaw said with an angry face and eyes popping out of his sockets.

Bruh.... Perhaps but his leg got hurt because he got SUBBED and didn't tap. That was damage inflicted by SANDHAGGEN

Thats like saying man, if he didn't punch me really hard and knock me out I would have won.
Thank you!!!!

It's crazy how ppl act as tho grappling is not a factor in fights.

TJ even said the only time he hurt me was in the second round.

Meanwhile, Cory wrecked his knee in the first and he was hurt the rest of the fight.

Can we get some gif's from the fight of his knee buckling? I don't recall seeing that happen even once.

Back