Movies Sylvester Stallone Marathon: The Expendables

Movie 7 - Rambo: First Blood Part 2

OscarMartinez_Rambo2.jpg

Synopsis: Rambo returns to the jungles of Vietnam on a mission to infiltrate an enemy base-camp and rescue the American POWs still held captive there.

My Rating: 8/10

I'm not sure if it's because of the new TV I bought, or just me lacking on this film last time, but man, what a great action film. This is just as great as the first film.
I watched this a few years ago and didn't like it that much, but it blew me away for this watch.

The cast was pretty decent as well. Bring in the villain in Karate Kid (Martin Kove) and Charles Napier, who I know from the Austin Power movies, add them with Stallone and Crenna, and you got yourself a decent cast for a great and overlooked sequel.

What I enjoyed the most about the film is we get to see Rambo as a 1 man army, that takes on literally an army. In the first film Rambo doesn't want to kill anyone, but in this film he does. The story was pretty good, Rambo is serving his time for his actions in the first movie then he is allowed his freedom if he takes on a new mission. Classic 80s story that will deliver.

The only thing I really didn't care for in the movie is when:

Co (played by Julia Nickson, who was very sexy btw) dies. It's not how she dies but the terrible acting as she gives her final words which I thought was pretty terrible/corny.

Great movie either way, it was a lot of fun and a movie I will definitely watch again.

Movie 7 - Rambo: First Blood Part 2

OscarMartinez_Rambo2.jpg

Synopsis: Rambo returns to the jungles of Vietnam on a mission to infiltrate an enemy base-camp and rescue the American POWs still held captive there.

My Rating: 8/10

I'm not sure if it's because of the new TV I bought, or just me lacking on this film last time, but man, what a great action film. This is just as great as the first film.
I watched this a few years ago and didn't like it that much, but it blew me away for this watch.

The cast was pretty decent as well. Bring in the villain in Karate Kid (Martin Kove) and Charles Napier, who I know from the Austin Power movies, add them with Stallone and Crenna, and you got yourself a decent cast for a great and overlooked sequel.

What I enjoyed the most about the film is we get to see Rambo as a 1 man army, that takes on literally an army. In the first film Rambo doesn't want to kill anyone, but in this film he does. The story was pretty good, Rambo is serving his time for his actions in the first movie then he is allowed his freedom if he takes on a new mission. Classic 80s story that will deliver.

The only thing I really didn't care for in the movie is when:

Co (played by Julia Nickson, who was very sexy btw) dies. It's not how she dies but the terrible acting as she gives her final words which I thought was pretty terrible/corny.

Great movie either way, it was a lot of fun and a movie I will definitely watch again.

rambo-im-coming-to-you.gif

"Do we get to win this time?" Just the way he says it. Shows that Sly always brings his acting chops to even his action roles

Movie 8: Demolition Man

49GjSZn9FnSnrRFmsA4x5WAj8oB.jpg

Synopsis: A police officer is brought out of suspended animation in prison to pursue an old ultra-violent nemesis who is loose in a non-violent future society.

My Rating: 9/10

It was one of the best Stallone movies I've watched in a very long time. I vaguely remember watching this a few times as a kid, but it felt like a new movie to me. Stallone, Bullock, Snipes is an awesome trio. Then you add in Rob Schneider, Denis Leary, Bill Cobbs, Benjamin Bratt, and Glenn Shadix, and this is a great cast.

Snipes plays an excellent villain. Sandra is in her prime and at her best, and Stallone shows exactly why he's one of the greatest action stars of all time.

I also loved the Arnold references made in the movie. It's a great mix of some comedy with a lot of action. Demolition Man definitely delivers. Whether it holds up on multiple watches remains to be seen, but for now, after 25 years or so, I say it's excellent.

Synopsis: A police officer is brought out of suspended animation in prison to pursue an old ultra-violent nemesis who is loose in a non-violent future society.

It was one of the best Stallone movies I've watched in a very long time. I vaguely remember watching this a few times as a kid, but it felt like a new movie to me. Stallone, Bullock, Snipes is an awesome trio. Then you add in Rob Schneider, Denis Leary, Bill Cobbs, Benjamin Bratt, and Glenn Shadix, and this is a great cast.

Snipes plays an excellent villain. Sandra is in her prime and at her best, and Stallone shows exactly why he's one of the greatest action stars of all time.

I also loved the Arnold references made in the movie. It's a great mix of some comedy with a lot of action. Demolition Man definitely delivers. Whether it holds up on multiple watches remains to be seen, but for now, after 25 years or so, I say it's excellent.
Now watch "STOP OR MY MOM WILL SHOOT!"

No wonder people in that future are so anal retentive: All they eat is taco bell, and they can only wipe their constipated ass with three seashells

tacobell-restaurant.gif

Then you add in Rob Schneider, Denis Leary, Bill Cobbs, Benjamin Bratt, and Glenn Shadix, and this is a great cast.

Rob Schneider isn't in Demolition Man. I know he's there saying " We're police officers, We're not used to this level of violence " and several other things like " He doesn't know how to use the three seashells "but he was never credited in it ....odd.

Stallone is an underrated writer. He writes good pop culture schlock. His writing isn't deep, but it is better than most crap now. I am glad you rated "Over the Top" well. It is one of my favorites of his, even though it is pretty cheesy. "Rambo" was good. "Demolition Man" was fun. I used not think much of Stallone when I was a kid, but I respect him as a writer and film maker now, at least as a creator of pop culture. I liked Rambo, of course, and I even had one of those cheap Rambo knives in the 80s, but he wasn't like Arnold in "Terminator." It is too bad he had to take all the roids to get parts in his own movies, but at least it didn't kill him.

Movie 4: Cliffhanger

585204.jpg

Synopsis: A botched mid-air heist results in suitcases full of cash being searched for by various groups throughout the Rocky Mountains.

My Rating: 6.75/10

This movie made me change some of my ratings because while I found it to be really decent, it was still a lot better than Death Race 2000. It was pretty similar in my viewing tho. I thought the opening scene was a 9/10. I have a great fear of heights so my anxiety was at maximum watching Sly climb leading to the Zipline scene.

After the opening scene the film started gradually declining for me. I thought the into to John Lithgow's character was good along with the heist/crash. John was awesome as a villain. Hes usually known for his comedic roles but he can play the villain just as well.

A lot of the explosions do not hold up at all. The part of the film where I really started to dislike the movie is when Sly encounters the black guy of the group, as usual the bad guy holds the gun for way too long at the hero and never shoots. Then once Sly drops back down, the bad guy, who isn't a rock climber, ties up a line to propel down. He holds a knife to Sly and doesn't stab him at all, even once Sly picks him up and the knife is right in front of his face. It was a decent fun kill but man it was frustrating to watch.

The same ordeal occured when Michael Rookers character was getting beat up. The bad guy holds the gun on him and doesn't shoot, allowing Michael to take his time and kill him instead. I also didn't like the scene where Sly does under the ice. I don't believe it's possible to shoot a gun underwater, not to mention, again the bad guy is pointing the gun at the good guy and never shoots him despite aiming at him for 10 seconds or so. Also Sly is underwater, soak and wet in the winter, as soon as he's out of the ice he walkie talkies John's character and he's dry as can be lol

I also thought the 2 teenagers who were side characters were unnecessary to the story and didn't have to be there.

Overall it's a really decent film, close to good as it gets for me, just not quite there. The opening scene is easily the best so far, I just wish the rest of the film was just as good.
Never watch Justify then ,, fantastic show but the baddy points gun in face without shooting is at unparalleled levels. They even drive this up a notch making the good guy only draw in the very last millisecond.

Regarding Stallone we watched Rambo 2 yesterday. Fun beer & pretzels movie but after first blood it felt kinda bloodless.

Last edited:
Movie 9: Rambo

1320523-beautiful-rambo-wallpapers-1920x1080-image.jpg

Synopsis: In Thailand, John Rambo joins a group of mercenaries to venture into war-torn Burma, and rescue a group of Christian aid workers who were kidnapped by the ruthless local infantry unit.

My Rating: 7/10

I enjoyed the blood and violence the most, it was a lot more violent then the first 2 Rambo movies combined. But I wasn't a big fan of the story, and the movie itself felt unnecessary to the story of Rambo.

If John is living in peace, why would he put himself into a high risk dangerous situation for no reason whatsoever? I like the fact he is helping Christians, but I find it very unlikely he would help anyone that would bring him back into war, especially for free/no reason.

This was my first time watching it but other then the action/violence the movie felt unsatisfying to me.

It's the 3rd best movie of the franchise, but imo only the first 2 Rambo movies really matter. The last 3 are just throw away movies with this film being the best of the 3. I didn't dislike it, it's not a bad movie, just not a movie I really need to see again.

Movie 10: Copland

maxresdefault.jpg

Synopsis: The Sheriff of a suburban New Jersey community, populated by New York City police officers, slowly discovers the town is a front for mob connections and corruption.

My Rating: 8.25/10

Arguably one of the greatest casts assembled in a Stallone movie. Harvey Keitel, Ray Liotta, Robert De Niro, Robert Patrick, Michael Rapaport, a lot of the cast members from the Sopranos.

This was another great performance by Sly, I thought he gave the best performance in the movie along with Harvey Keitel. Sly is a good actor, he held his own among 2 of the greats. I think De Niro was in about 15 mins of the movie. While he doesn't have the biggest role in the film, he does take over/steal all the scenes he is in.

Is it me or does Ray Liotta always look like he's on drugs? He looks the same way he did in Goodfellas when he's coked out.

I think this was the 3rd time I've seen this movie, and it still holds up. Great movie.

Great flick. Saw it in the theater but haven’t watched it since. Sly’s performance in this film really caught me by surprise. Didn’t know he had it in him. Need to reupload this to my brain.

Movie 11: Rocky

Rocky-1.jpg

Synopsis: A small-time Philadelphia boxer gets a supremely rare chance to fight the world heavyweight champion in a bout in which he strives to go the distance for his self-respect.

My Rating: 10/10

Welcome to the club little buddy, the 10/10 club. This is the 7th film I have given a masterpiece rating to and it's easily one of the best films of the 70s.

This is easily Sly's greatest performance. It was also Talia Shires best performance, which some could argue Godfather II, but I think was her best. The story is excellent and it's very believable. The undefeated champ hand picks a bum fighter with a good name in a easy squash match.

The champ doesn't take the fight seriously meanwhile the bum finally uses a trainer and trains the hardest he can not to defeat the champ, but to make it to the final bell because every fighter Apollo fought he finished. While Apollo gets the decision it's Rocky who is the real winner at the end. A bum who just made his biggest payday of his fighting career and just went every round with the unbeatable, undefeated champ in a fight that could have gone either way.

It's a drama, a sports movie, and a romance movie all in 1.

Last edited:
Movie 12: Rocky II

lf

Synopsis: Rocky struggles in family life after his bout with Apollo Creed, while the embarrassed champ insistently goads him to accept a challenge for a rematch.

My rating: 8/10

What I really dislike about the movie is Adrian going into a coma. It was way too much and not needed for the film. The only purpose it served was for her to tell him to "win" but there could have been a better way to do it. The first half of the movie is close to an 9/10 for me. It told the story of how Rocky isn't very good at much except fighting. He fails doing commercials and sponsoring products, there is many job opportunities for him since he has no education or work experience. Fighting is his only way to provide for his family. I also liked how Mickey makes the change to have Rocky fight orthodox now to throw off Apollo. Rocky isn't training to his best because Adrian didn't want him to fight. I felt a simple heartfelt plea from Rocky would have been more enough, the coma was too extra and not needed.

Carl Weathers got to do a lot more this time around. I wouldn't have mind seeing him get more scenes leading up to the fight.

I thought the fight was good but the first fight was a lot better. I've never been too big on how the fight ends. Both guys falling down then racing to beat the 10 count wasn't the best way to end the fight imo I would have preferred to see Rocky land the KO punch from a mistake made by Apollo so then it could have been deemed 'a lucky punch'

Overall it's a great sequel that could have been better but is still one of his best movies.

Movie 13: Rocky III

2b122e8347e4a7a47d9cfc70d6fdde8a.jpg

Synopsis: Rocky faces the ultimate challenge from a powerful new contender, and must turn to a former rival to help regain his throne as the undisputed fighting champion.

My rating: 9.25/10

One of my favourite and underrated sequels of all time. Here we have Rocky as champ (he defended the title 10x) and he's making a lot of money doing commercials and advertisements (which was something he couldn't do in the 2nd film)

However Rocky's success isn't against the best boxers, he was being protected by his manager the entire time. The real #1 contender (Mr T) seeks out the fight with Rocky just before Rocky is about to retire. I liked this scene a lot and was hoping Mr T would have used the race card and made it more personal but then he brings up Adrian which is personal enough.

Mr T is also the reason why Rocky and Apollo form a friendship. Mr T had beef with everyone and his disrespect to Apollo before the first fight with Rocky is what makes him train Rocky after his loss resulting in some of the best training montages of all time.

Also the short appearance from Hulk Hogan is still one of my favourite scenes to watch.

This film really has it all. We get the debut of Eye of the Tiger, a wrestling match with Hulk Hogan, a retirement bout that leads to a revengeful rematch, Mickey's passing away but the best of all, Rocky & Apollo are best buds training together, and the final scene where Rocky repays the favour back to Apollo and they settle the trilogy bout is one of my favourite endings of all time.

It's an excellent sequel and my favourite Rocky film to watch even though I think the first one is the best.

The only thing I didn't like too much was the 2nd fight between Rocky and Clubber, I thought it was the 3rd best fight in the franchise up to this point, the fights with Apollo were better.

Back