Law Substitute teacher KO's student for using racial slur

Video in the link

Here in Las Vegas teacher knocks out student for using racial slur

Kid is Mexican and used the N word in class. The rap song N word, not the hard R

It's been on my local news and my sister works as a teacher in this school

Lol...substitute teachers all over will love this.

Linda-Hunt-linda-hunt-43491973-240-180.gif

Probably the best lesson the kid will have. He may not turn out to be a dick now?

<brucenod>

The adult who was being paid to be there probably could have figured a way out of the situation without KO’ing the kid.
Subduing via grappling would have been a better option. I'm OK with the initial KO myself. Kid asked for it.

But the extra hit after while in the kids face as he doesn't know where he is isn't going to go over well

LOL, the exact BJS report series from which your infographic was generated.

What report had info from the 90s?

A quick search got me this one

https://bjs.ojp.gov/document/iscs22.pdf

And it had this under the "Teacher Victimization" section:

• The percentage of public school teachers who reported being threatened with injury by a student from their school was 6 percent in 2020–21, compared with 10 percent in 2011–12

.• The percentage who reported being physically attacked by a student from their school was 4 percent in 2020–21, compared with 6 percent in 2011–12.

This is incorrect

Like with the rest of society, school violence is actually way lower than previous decades

Screen_Shot_2014-06-11_at_11.14.29_AM.png

The thing that has changed is the visibility. There weren't cell phones back in the 90s to capture every instance of kids acting like idiots. The dramatic increase of footage of student misbehavior is having the effect of increasing teacher sensitivity to misbehavior. Before cell phones, you'd only be aware of the fights at the school you work in with and maybe hear some stories about a few schools in your area.

With the internet and phones, you can see what every idiot kid in the entire country did, so everyone (parents, teachers, the public) thinks "kids are out of control these days!"

What did I say that's incorrect? I never made a specific claim that the total number of violent incidents is the highest its ever been, I was talking about quite a few different issues put together. Further, I'm really talking about something that has happened in the last 10 or so years, and especially in the years post covid, so I'm not sure what showing rates of violence up until 2012 has to do with anything - I'm well aware of the fact that rates of violence were generally much higher in the past.

In a follow up post I mentioned violence towards teachers, but what I'm talking about is much more than that. Its bad behavior coupled with major increases in anxiety, depression, and apathy, as well as large numbers of kids being way behind where they should be with regards to math and reading levels. I mentioned my experiences working with younger folks - its a small sample size, but these were fresh out of college engineers (who came from fairly well respected schools) who were completely useless. They couldn't pay attention to anything for more than 30 seconds without checking their phones, and anything challenging stopped them dead in their tracks - its like they were terrified to fail and wouldn't even try if they didn't know how to do something. Not only that, but in multiple cases, these kids were doing things that were highly unethical like working multiple jobs secretly. Obviously there have always been scammy shitty people, but I certainly didn't see that when I was a fresh engineer - most people in the field had some degree of pride in their work and cared about actually contributing to the team - I've seen none of this from the younger folks I've worked with.

Obviously this doesn't apply to all kids, but almost everyone I know who is around younger folks echos these concerns.

Last edited:

• The percentage of public school teachers who reported being threatened with injury by a student from their school was 6 percent in 2020–21, compared with 10 percent in 2011–12

.• The percentage who reported being physically attacked by a student from their school was 4 percent in 2020–21, compared with 6 percent in 2011–12.
Kids weren't in school in 2020-2021

It should have been 0%

What did I say that's incorrect? I never made a specific claim that the total number of violent incidents is the highest its ever been, I was talking about quite a few different issues put together. Further, I'm really talking about something that has happened in the last 10 or so years, and especially in the years post covid, so I'm not sure what showing rates of violence up until 2012 has to do with anything - I'm well aware of the fact that rates of violence were generally much higher in the past.

In a follow up post I mentioned violence towards teachers, but what I'm talking about is much more than that. Its bad behavior coupled with major increases in anxiety, depression, and apathy, as well as large numbers of kids being way behind where they should be with regards to math and reading levels. I mentioned my experiences working with younger folks - its a small sample size, but these were fresh out of college engineers (who came from fairly well respected schools) who were completely useless. They couldn't pay attention to anything for more than 30 seconds without checking their phones, and anything challenging stopped them dead in their tracks - its like they were terrified to fail and wouldn't even try if they didn't know how to do something. Not only that, but in multiple cases, these kids were doing things that were highly unethical like working multiple jobs secretly. Obviously there have always been scammy shitty people, but I certainly didn't see that when I was a fresh engineer - most people in the field had some degree of pride in their work and cared about actually contributing to the team - I've seen none of this from the younger folks I've worked with.

Obviously this doesn't apply to all kids, but almost everyone I know who is around younger folks echos these concerns.

Well, you mentioned that teachers who have taught for decades are quitting because kids' "behavior is so bad" and we're in a thread where a high school student fought a teacher, so me bringing up student violence data is very much on topic.

If you want to broaden the subject to overall emotional issues and incompetence, and widen the population to include adults as old as their mid-20s, then I'd have less to disagree with.

But if we're strictly talking about violent or risk-taking behavior of teenagers, the data is pretty clear: kids do less drugs, have less sex, and are less violent than in generations past.

full.png

I interpreted this thread to be about violence by students against teachers, not intra-student violence.

The percentage of teachers who reported being attacked in 2008-09 was 4%. This rose to 6% in 2015-16. It was back down to 4.1% in 2020-21. It appears it was about 4% in the mid-90's, too.

The years tracked were from 92-96. Thank you for Googling to inform me the statistics are exactly what I told you they were.

Knocking people out for using a word is kinda of like a form of reparations. You may not get 40 acres and a mule, but you’ll at least have people make excuses for you whenever you have the emotional regulation of a baby.

The adult who was being paid to be there probably could have figured a way out of the situation without KO’ing the kid.
Ko was the only way, lil dude was already throwing. Grapple and get jumped or stabbed, it’s a fight, end it anyway you can.

Ko was the only way, lil dude was already throwing. Grapple and get jumped or stabbed, it’s a fight, end it anyway you can.
The video started with both guys throwing. The incident didn’t start off like that. I find it hard to believe that an adult who is literally being paid to take care of these kids, couldn’t find an off ramp. Teacher set a crappy example and taught the wrong message to every kid watching.

The video started with both guys throwing. The incident didn’t start off like that. I find it hard to believe that an adult who is literally being paid to take care of these kids, couldn’t find an off ramp. Teacher set a crappy example and taught the wrong message to every kid watching.
The article said the teacher asked the student to leave the class, who knows what happened in between, maybe he left and came back, he was wearing his backpack

If this generation weren't listening to all the wrong shit, this kid would've already known. Wu-tang clan ain't nuthin ta fuck wit

Wait…… So do Mexicans get the N word pass or not? We need an official answer from the black delegation.

That way everyone is one the same page.

The years tracked were from 92-96. Thank you for Googling to inform me the statistics are exactly what I told you they were.

What page are you finding 92-96 in? A ctrl + F search isn't yielding anything for me

What page are you finding 92-96 in? A ctrl + F search isn't yielding anything for me
Do I really have to hold your hand with these PDFs? Here's one of the years in the range I presented to you. It is cited on half a dozen pages:
In the 1993–94 school year, 12 percent of all elementary and secondary school teachers were threatened withinjury by a student, and 4 percent were physically attacked by a student. This represented about 341,000 teachers who were victims of threats of injury by students and 120,000 teachers who were victims of attacks bystudents that year (Indicator 10)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zygmunt
Back