Movies Sylvester Stallone Marathon: The Expendables

Cobra ripping the Latinos shirt after pushing his impala out of the way was hilarious. Great film.

I give Cobra a 5/10. could have been fantastic, but the villain was too ridiculous and the action scenes were repetitive after a while. I mean, how many guys were in this gang? it seemed like Sly killed 500 of them while they were on their motorcycles.

imo, the movie went down hill after the beginning.

AdorableTartGiraffe-size_restricted.gif

Movie 4: Cliffhanger

585204.jpg

Synopsis: A botched mid-air heist results in suitcases full of cash being searched for by various groups throughout the Rocky Mountains.

My Rating: 6.75/10

This movie made me change some of my ratings because while I found it to be really decent, it was still a lot better than Death Race 2000. It was pretty similar in my viewing tho. I thought the opening scene was a 9/10. I have a great fear of heights so my anxiety was at maximum watching Sly climb leading to the Zipline scene.

After the opening scene the film started gradually declining for me. I thought the into to John Lithgow's character was good along with the heist/crash. John was awesome as a villain. Hes usually known for his comedic roles but he can play the villain just as well.

A lot of the explosions do not hold up at all. The part of the film where I really started to dislike the movie is when Sly encounters the black guy of the group, as usual the bad guy holds the gun for way too long at the hero and never shoots. Then once Sly drops back down, the bad guy, who isn't a rock climber, ties up a line to propel down. He holds a knife to Sly and doesn't stab him at all, even once Sly picks him up and the knife is right in front of his face. It was a decent fun kill but man it was frustrating to watch.

The same ordeal occured when Michael Rookers character was getting beat up. The bad guy holds the gun on him and doesn't shoot, allowing Michael to take his time and kill him instead. I also didn't like the scene where Sly does under the ice. I don't believe it's possible to shoot a gun underwater, not to mention, again the bad guy is pointing the gun at the good guy and never shoots him despite aiming at him for 10 seconds or so. Also Sly is underwater, soak and wet in the winter, as soon as he's out of the ice he walkie talkies John's character and he's dry as can be lol

I also thought the 2 teenagers who were side characters were unnecessary to the story and didn't have to be there.

Overall it's a really decent film, close to good as it gets for me, just not quite there. The opening scene is easily the best so far, I just wish the rest of the film was just as good.

585204.jpg

Synopsis: A botched mid-air heist results in suitcases full of cash being searched for by various groups throughout the Rocky Mountains.

This movie made me change some of my ratings because while I found it to be really decent, it was still a lot better than Death Race 2000. It was pretty similar in my viewing tho. I thought the opening scene was a 9/10. I have a great fear of heights so my anxiety was at maximum watching Sly climb leading to the Zipline scene.

After the opening scene the film started gradually declining for me. I thought the into to John Lithgow's character was good along with the heist/crash. John was awesome as a villain. Hes usually known for his comedic roles but he can play the villain just as well.

A lot of the explosions do not hold up at all. The part of the film where I really started to dislike the movie is when Sly encounters the black guy of the group, as usual the bad guy holds the gun for way too long at the hero and never shoots. Then once Sly drops back down, the bad guy, who isn't a rock climber, ties up a line to propel down. He holds a knife to Sly and doesn't stab him at all, even once Sly picks him up and the knife is right in front of his face. It was a decent fun kill but man it was frustrating to watch.

The same ordeal occured when Michael Rookers character was getting beat up. The bad guy holds the gun on him and doesn't shoot, allowing Michael to take his time and kill him instead. I also didn't like the scene where Sly does under the ice. I don't believe it's possible to shoot a gun underwater, not to mention, again the bad guy is pointing the gun at the good guy and never shoots him despite aiming at him for 10 seconds or so. Also Sly is underwater, soak and wet in the winter, as soon as he's out of the ice he walkie talkies John's character and he's dry as can be lol

I also thought the 2 teenagers who were side characters were unnecessary to the story and didn't have to be there.

Overall it's a really decent film, close to good as it gets for me, just not quite there. The opening scene is easily the best so far, I just wish the rest of the film was just as good.
I agree…opening scene= 9/10
Rest of movie= 7/10

585204.jpg

raccoon.gif

Personal opinion, that parody scene is better than cliffhanger entirely. I thought cliffhanger was entertaining but very forgettable.

Ace ventura 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>......>>>>>cliffhanger

Yeah I wasn't too impressed with cliffhanger, I wanted to like it, still really decent watch, but not a good movie.

I need to do a 90s Jim Carrey watch one weekend. That's very doable.

Movie 5: Over The Top

sammelin_overthetop.jpg

Synopsis: Tough trucker Lincoln Hawk is determined to win back his son and triumph at the world arm wrestling championships.

My Rating: 7.25/10

This is a good 'bad' movie. The story is alright, a truck driver that arm wrestles wants to reclaim his son. There's even some very unlikely scenarios such as the kid beating the bigger kid in arm wrestling with no experience in arm wrestling. But that can be overlooked. What can't be overlooked is the kid driving hundreds of miles to watch his dad arm wrestle. He got to drive his dad's truck 1 time and all of a sudden hes a professional lol
Stallone messes his arm up bad and still pulls off the upset to a guy with arms 3x bigger than his. Like I said, it's a bad movie. But it's still a good movie in my book. Plus theres Terry Funk.

It's free still on YouTube which is where I watched it. Also if I was Sly I would have taken the offer for the 500K and truck and said see ya to the kid.

Movie 6: First Blood

first-blood-2_orig.jpg

Synopsis: A veteran Green Beret is forced by a cruel Sheriff and his deputies to flee into the mountains and wage an escalating one-man war against his pursuers.

My Rating: 8.5/10

Stallone's acting is underrated here. The speech he gives at the end I thought was an incredible performance. It's one of the few things he will always have over Arnold, he's the better actor and his movie (Rocky) won an Oscar.

The beginning is always my favourite part of the movie. The first interaction with Rambo & the sheriff leading to his arrest, right into Rambo flipping the switch and escaping to me is the best part of the film. We see Rambo go from quiet and calm loner who is just looking for a place to eat, into an 1 man wrecking machine.

There's not much I dislike about the film. I think the first half is an 9 and the 2nd half is an 8. I thought the ending was perfect that went well with the theme song playing into the credits.

Brian Dennehy plays an excellent bad guy. The only other films I remember him being in were Gladiator & Tommy boy. He was good in those but great here.

I also like the running time is roughly 90 mins. It's a film that gets right into it, short and sweet. I have seen this at least a dozen times or more and it still holds up.

first-blood-2_orig.jpg

Synopsis: A veteran Green Beret is forced by a cruel Sheriff and his deputies to flee into the mountains and wage an escalating one-man war against his pursuers.

Stallone's acting is underrated here. The speech he gives at the end I thought was an incredible performance. It's one of the few things he will always have over Arnold, he's the better actor and his movie (Rocky) won an Oscar.

The beginning is always my favourite part of the movie. The first interaction with Rambo & the sheriff leading to his arrest, right into Rambo flipping the switch and escaping to me is the best part of the film. We see Rambo go from quiet and calm loner who is just looking for a place to eat, into an 1 man wrecking machine.

There's not much I dislike about the film. I think the first half is an 9 and the 2nd half is an 8. I thought the ending was perfect that went well with the theme song playing into the credits.

Brian Dennehy plays an excellent bad guy. The only other films I remember him being in were Gladiator & Tommy boy. He was good in those but great here.

I also like the running time is roughly 90 mins. It's a film that gets right into it, short and sweet. I have seen this at least a dozen times or more and it still holds up.

The opening scene always gets me. He's excited and happy to find Barry's home. They way he's fumbling through his pockets out of joy, is a glimpse into his humanity. Then, he discovers Barry's passing. You never see that side of him again.

Movie 5: Over The Top

sammelin_overthetop.jpg

Synopsis: Tough trucker Lincoln Hawk is determined to win back his son and triumph at the world arm wrestling championships.

My Rating: 7.25/10

This is a good 'bad' movie. The story is alright, a truck driver that arm wrestles wants to reclaim his son. There's even some very unlikely scenarios such as the kid beating the bigger kid in arm wrestling with no experience in arm wrestling. But that can be overlooked. What can't be overlooked is the kid driving hundreds of miles to watch his dad arm wrestle. He got to drive his dad's truck 1 time and all of a sudden hes a professional lol
Stallone messes his arm up bad and still pulls off the upset to a guy with arms 3x bigger than his. Like I said, it's a bad movie. But it's still a good movie in my book. Plus theres Terry Funk.

It's free still on YouTube which is where I watched it. Also if I was Sly I would have taken the offer for the 500K and truck and said see ya to the kid.

7.5? And you said I was drunk.

It's a good bad movie. I like it.

Better than MI II that's for sure

Honestly some of the scenes with Stallone and his kid got kinda sus. Creepily telling his son to use his shoulder as a pillow when he is sleeping. The kid was uncomfortable.

first-blood-2_orig.jpg

The opening scene always gets me. He's excited and happy to find Barry's home. They way he's fumbling through his pockets out of joy, is a glimpse into his humanity. Then, he discovers Barry's passing. You never see that side of him again.

big-boss-the-boss.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back