• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sweating Like A Hog

George Brooks

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else here has this problem and if so, how you handle it. I sweat a ridiculous amount when sparring/rolling. Thing thing is that the better shape I'm in the more I sweat. The guys I'm training with think that I'm getting tired, when I actually feeling stronger. I avoid caffeine and drink between 1.5-2.5 gallons of water a day. I've had this issue every since I've been training (7 years). I have kicked my training up quite a bit though in the past few months.

The problem is that the sweat can become a distraction when I'm trying to work. I usually train in jogging pants and a regular t-shirt. Do you think a rashguard would help? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Later.

No advice but im a sweat monster too.

Some people just sweat more than others.

George Brooks said:
Just wondering if anyone else here has this problem and if so, how you handle it. I sweat a ridiculous amount when sparring/rolling. Thing thing is that the better shape I'm in the more I sweat. The guys I'm training with think that I'm getting tired, when I actually feeling stronger. I avoid caffeine and drink between 1.5-2.5 gallons of water a day. I've had this issue every since I've been training (7 years). I have kicked my training up quite a bit though in the past few months.

The problem is that the sweat can become a distraction when I'm trying to work. I usually train in jogging pants and a regular t-shirt. Do you think a rashguard would help? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Later.

rash-guard + shorts?!

I have no answer for you, but did you do a search on the web? You drink a lot of water. I'm lucky if I drink 32 onces a day. I do eat a lot of fruit though.

One thing I use to do when I played raquetball was bring two shirts. Once I got soaked I'd change. There's nothing like getting drilled in the back with a wet shirt.

Good luck.

I do the same thing, when I'm in the gym, I look like I just hopped out of the pool.

Yeah I've always sweat a lot as well. Sounds like you drink a hell of a lot of water bro. couple of shirts sounds like the best advice. I always wear something on my head when I work out to avoid sweat in the eyes such as a headband, bandana or one of those underarmor do-rags

A positive thing about being a sweaty bastard is that in no-gi grappling no one can catch you!

I sweat a lot also. Hell, don't wear sweat pants when you're rolling. Throw on a pair of basketball shorts and a rashguard instead.

It's so nice to hear from other sweaters. I have always been this way and I wish there was something I could do about it but really the only thing that works for me is to not care about it. Or at least try not to. Just go . . . workout . . . sweat.

im pretty sure once u get fitter and your body is used to excercising that you sweat more because your body is preparing itself for work, but i could be wrong

Yeah here you are:

Fitness Myth 2:
Excessive Sweating While Exercising Means You’re Not Fit
In fact, it's just the opposite. Sweating during exercise is a sign of an efficient cooler. An athlete who has adapted to keep the body core cool during exercise will shunt blood to the skin’s surface more quickly and release heat from the body. At the same time, the sweat glands increase their output and thus cool the body during sweat evaporation. While fit people produce more sweat than sedentary folks, they lose less sodium, because more of it is reabsorbed by the body. The result is a more efficient cooler.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/conditioning/a/aa052001a.htm

Maybe its because you drink so much water? Which is a good thing though..

I would'nt worry about it, I sweat like a fat bastard, hell during the summer when we're drilling takedowns you can see where I just landed by the me shaped sweat mark on the mat. Can still outgas almost everyone I train with.

Try a long sleeve Under Armor (or similar brand) compression fit shirt designed to help keep you cool by helping move/evaporate the sweat from your body. Be sure you don't get the cold weather style as they make both (cold and hot weather).

Dude I feel for you I got the same problem.. The minute the temp hit 60F outside im sweating like crazy. At the gym I have to wear a headband sometimes otherwise I am blinded form sweat.

i also know that sweating a lot means you are in good condition but don't you think that there is a problem when it comes to dehydration and cramping up.

it's summer here in our place and last week i was sweating like a pig in training then i suddenly felt my right calf starting to cramp.

Any advice?

My problem is that I get warm a lot faster than other people. Sometimes at the gym I am just lifting weights and I am breaking a major sweat, while I see people on the treadmills with nary a bead of it. I have superb aerobic and anaerobic endurance, so that is not the problem, I just heat up easily. Doesn't affect my performance though.

If the sweat affects yours, bring a sweat towel to wipe off intermitently.

mmagic said:
My problem is that I get warm a lot faster than other people. Sometimes at the gym I am just lifting weights and I am breaking a major sweat, while I see people on the treadmills with nary a bead of it. I have superb aerobic and anaerobic endurance, so that is not the problem, I just heat up easily. Doesn't affect my performance though.

If the sweat affects yours, bring a sweat towel to wipe off intermitently.

I hear ya bro, some people have a natural higher temperature than others.

I do not feel as cold as much as others during the winter but as soon as i start any training the sweating begins.

+1 for the sweaty dude club. My parents got me involved early in swimming/water polo just because I'd leave buckets in the dojo.

But I kept with the martial arts anyways.

Back