Svend Karlsen sponsored by McDonalds?...

Ted-P said:
OT is full of transvestites

Yea, it really was bizarre reading some of those posts...i wish i had that 15 minutes of my life back...

SteveSmith said:
Even if you call me names, you proven nothing and I am still right. Whatever argument you throw at me won't change the fact that I say the thruth. You have not won. I win. End of discussion.

You know, I could waste hours of my time just like you to research for all sorts of arguments to prove my point. There is no doubt I say the thruth. But contrary to you, I don't come on the Internet to have boring arguments with people. I have more interesting things to do.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

rickdog said:
HAHAHAHA, that would certainly be justice. Did you hear that he proposed to her with an onion ring? That is just sad.

lol

actually i havent eaten much else than fast food since thanksgiving and i am definately in the best shape of my life. maybe i have adapted to it. by the way on subject of supersize me: the means justify the ends

Madmick said:
Actually, this isn't true, Entropy.

I went to the USDA site itself to try to dig up some defense, although I couldn't find what I was looking for.

So, for instance, if you buy Ribeye at the supermarket, and one is Prime, and the other Select, it is likely the Prime will have a higher fat content and therefore possess less nutritive value.

Of course, you'll notice my argument works in the opposite fashion: McDonalds probably has lower grades of meat. But I couldn't find anything about lean-mass:fat ratios in ground beef. The grading process depends on an evaluation of the cow before the grinding, and its safety depends on Inspection (a mandatory process independent Grading). Still, since my 9th grade teacher loaned me Sinclair's "The Jungle" in high school, I have never looked at ground meats the same.

I understand Grading is a process used to determine taste. But what I am having difficulty proving is that lower quality ground meats have less actual meat in them. I know they say at the market, but I'm now quite curious to know more about the buying process for restaurants and restaurant chains.

I wish I had more time to address this issue in the depth required given that I've got several rabbit trails that could be pursued, but at this moment, time does not permit given the multiple projects I'm working on...

With regard to your post, I see your concern given that it is a fair analysis; however you

OpethDrums said:
actually i havent eaten much else than fast food since thanksgiving and i am definately in the best shape of my life. maybe i have adapted to it. by the way on subject of supersize me: the means justify the ends

how your body fat and energy? this may be succes due to genetic advantage or your still running off a clean engine (you where eating clean before this and it hasn't affected you yet)

MAdmick, yeah, if you make the burgers, I might be better off eating them than big macs, cuz you're gonna do them with ground turkey and whole wheat and roman lettuce and whatnot. You health nut. However, MY BURGERS would make you cough blood in such a way that you would be better off eating MACs. Yes, they are THAT tasty!

Entropy, of course if you are referring to grade as non-specified (by any known criteria) quality of the meat, then yes higher grade will mean better meat because 'better' just means that: higher quality. But then that doesn't tell us much...

I am not entirely convinced that retired dairy cows and breeding cows will produce meat that has less nutritional value though. My father was a farmer and he did refer to it when I was younger, that old cows make lower quality meat, but that did not mean at all that the meat had less nutritional value. It was just stiffer. Less tasty. And also, he noted that people who would grow cattle to be slaughtered would prevent them to exercise, because that too, would make the meat 'stiffer'. Which MIGHT lead to believe that what makes meat particularly 'stiff' is the percentage of contractile muscle fiber in the meat, and this should correlate closely with protein content. So things are not clearcut here.

My bottom word would be this: Nobody knows. I personally just give MCD the benefit of the doubt, I mean, its meat, it doesn't taste good on its own, and its not juicy, but I think the protein content of the meat can only MARGINALLY be influenced by those factors.

Note that I only comment on the burgers: fries and soft drinks are perhaps the two worst things you could put in your stomach besides Crisco or refined sugar.

My bottom word would be this: Nobody knows. I personally just give MCD the benefit of the doubt, I mean, its meat, it doesn't taste good on its own, and its not juicy, but I think the protein content of the meat can only MARGINALLY be influenced by those factors.

All you have to do is call up McDonald's (they have a number for this sort of question) and ask for the nutritional information of a Big Mac. The numbers. I know people who have done this and from what I heard, the term "nutritional information" when it comes to most of their menu is pretty much an oxymoron. If you're starving to death and have no other alternative, they'll keep you alive, yes. But they should by no means be as much of a regular consumption as they are in this country.

Also, McD's fries are probably some of the least nutritous fast food items ever made. They're pretty much all fat and salt an nothing more.

you can go to the mcdonald's website... they have a section called "Food, Nutrition, and Fitness" with the nutrition facts. apparently the fries have vitamin c, calcium, and iron. i worked at mcdonald's and i remember the meat being juicy until it dried up in the holding tray after about 6 hours.

I already tried to make a comparison of the protein content of the meat from macdonald.com with a generic beef patty from calorieking.com, but MCD does not sell the patty on its own and so they don't list nutritional information on the subject. They just have it for the Big mac in itself, which is useless to determine the quality of the meat, because there is not alot of meat in a big mac.

As for the Mcd fries, bite into one and look at it. They are EMPTY! They're just a layer of fast carbs held together by fats and sodium. Yum!

apparently the fries have vitamin c, calcium, and iron

Mcjob is right. McWork might be a better word. The fries = fat, salt, and a LITTLE bit of potato. There is no way anyone is going to convince me they have any nutritional value. Baked Lays Chips KO1 McD's fries. The difference between the website and the phone number thing though, if you ask me, is that you get to speak to a person on the phone, who you can actually hear if there's any deception in what they're saying. The website is going to be more propaganda than anything else.

Websites are a marketing tool. Fast food chain advertisements are not necessarily reliable information, anyone remember when KFC tried to advertise their "chicken" as being Atkins-friendly and subsequently, healthy? That's one of the FEW times I was on the side of the FDA when they basically told KFC "uhh, no, cut that shit out or we'll shut your asses down."

From Nutritiondata.com

BIG MAC
facts-B00001-01c21cK.png
VS.
facts-B00001-01c21c4.png
And these are the nutri facts for a 80/20 lean/fat burger broiled.

Notice the serving size and the amount of protein.

The fact that the one on the right has 0 carbs leads me to think you only listed a 85g beef patty vs a 216g full big mac.

Yes you're right, that's a full Big Mac vs a burger patty. After condiments are put on a homemade patty of course the carbs will increase...but c'mon, look at the sodium content, fat content, etc. You can't convince me that 2 slices of cheese and 'secret sauce' are responsible for 47g of carbs and over 1000mg of sodium.

Damit, I haven't have a Big Mac in ages, but if this damn thread continues I am going to go eat at McD's this Friday for lunch and get two Big Macs.

The Big Dipper said:
Yes you're right, that's a full Big Mac vs a burger patty. After condiments are put on a homemade patty of course the carbs will increase...but c'mon, look at the sodium content, fat content, etc. You can't convince me that 2 slices of cheese and 'secret sauce' are responsible for 47g of carbs and over 1000mg of sodium.

Can I convince you that 3 white bread burger buns could do it though?

And really, you can't isolate shit in this way, to tell whether or not the protein content of the meat suffers, we would have to know what it is really and not try to 'think away' the elements that have nothing to do with what is at stake. We don't even know how many grams a Mcd patty is.

Overlooked on my part (the bun), but we'll just have to agree to disagree I imagine.

Back