SUMO - 2019 Hatsu Basho (Jan. 13th - Jan. 27th)

If Hakuho were Japanese nobody would even try to debate his status. He has no weaknesses in his resume, and has as many yusho as the four Yokozuna he competed with (Asa, Kise, Fuji and Kakuryu) combined. People might try to argue that his level of competition isn't as good but I think it's very difficult to try and nominate another contender.

Watching the stream. Idk anyone. The last bout though got a couple of jacked -chubby guys.

Just cancel the basho, this is absurd. They can't just keep turning a blind eye to the rocketing injury rates

Kintamayama mentioned it but here's the match where Ura got injured. Nice kakenage from Hoshoryu (Asashoryu's nephew) but looks like Ura's plant leg got twisted up

Just cancel the basho, this is absurd. They can't just keep turning a blind eye to the rocketing injury rates
yeah, i'd really like to see something done to address the issue, but i don't know if there's the kind of response to these injuries in the public that we're having. i'm worried that the response you see on the tachiai.org blog that "sumo is a combat sport, and people do, sadly, get hurt" is the one you'd see among the japanese sumo-watching public, which is really the only cohort that will prompt any action from the sumo association. i would have expected that kisenosato's injury and the way it ruined the career of their first japanese yokozuna in over a decade would have initiated a call for action, but who knows.

as far as what's causing this rash of injuries, i've really got no idea. i know people have brought up the issue of the jungyo schedule between the tournaments as not giving the wrestlers enough time to recover from a tournament. that definitely seems like an issue that should be looked at, but that seems like it hamper recovery rather than resulting in the injuries themselves. although many of the injuries we're seeing are knees and whatever being re-injured. i'd guess that the most likely culprit, and why this is more of a problem now than it was before, is the increasing size of wrestlers putting more strain on their lower bodies.

ultimately i have no idea, but if the sumo association doesn't initiate some kind of investigation into the issue after this tournament (and i suspect they won't) they are derelict in their duties in my opinion.

in good news, tamawashi and endo did pretty much picture perfect sumo, and hakuho is continuing to look stable.

and enho looked fantastic (hilarious camerawork):

but the injuries cast a shadow over the day for sure.

yeah, i'd really like to see something done to address the issue, but i don't know if there's the kind of response to these injuries in the public that we're having. i'm worried that the response you see on the tachiai.org blog that "sumo is a combat sport, and people do, sadly, get hurt" is the one you'd see among the japanese sumo-watching public, which is really the only cohort that will prompt any action from the sumo association. i would have expected that kisenosato's injury and the way it ruined the career of their first japanese yokozuna in over a decade would have initiated a call for action, but who knows.

as far as what's causing this rash of injuries, i've really got no idea. i know people have brought up the issue of the jungyo schedule between the tournaments as not giving the wrestlers enough time to recover from a tournament. that definitely seems like an issue that should be looked at, but that seems like it hamper recovery rather than resulting in the injuries themselves. although many of the injuries we're seeing are knees and whatever being re-injured. i'd guess that the most likely culprit, and why this is more of a problem now than it was before, is the increasing size of wrestlers putting more strain on their lower bodies.

ultimately i have no idea, but if the sumo association doesn't initiate some kind of investigation into the issue after this tournament (and i suspect they won't) they are derelict in their duties in my opinion.
Yeah idk, probably a mix of stuff but it needs to be addressed. Maybe lax the demotions for injuries a bit to promote guys allowing things to heal up could be a start.

in good news, tamawashi and endo did pretty much picture perfect sumo, and hakuho is continuing to look stable.

and enho looked fantastic (hilarious camerawork):

but the injuries cast a shadow over the day for sure.

Enho having an up and down basho but Shimanoumi was unbeaten before that. Always fun to see Enho against the big guys

Watching day 11 now. I like the head and belt control chiyoshouma used at the henka. And lol at the old man slapping Takarafuji's ass.

takakeisho vs. hokutofuji match was nuts.

tamawashi really does a great job of keeping opponents off his mawashi even when they get close.

and mitakeumi's return was shocking. i really expected him to get blown away.

wow, amazing stuff from tamawashi on day 12. big mistake for hakuho to forgo even attempting a mawashi grip, and just choosing to stand and deliver with tamawashi who's one of the best in the game at pushing and thrusting.

2 in a row for Hakuho and this one was all on him. Pray for Takakeisho, he might catch the elbow tonight

From seemingly likely zensho yusho to 3 losses in a row and maybe no yusho at all, wow wow

Takakeisho moving in on Ozeki status at this rate.

Especially with how rough the upper ranks are right now.

Mitakeumi somehow winning despite his wheels about to fall off at any moment

definitely. i think there's a case to be made for him with only 10 wins, but with 11 an ozeki promotion should be pretty much guaranteed.

it's shocking to see hakuho coming into his matches with such poor gameplans. takakeisho did great keeping hakuho away and timed his pull down really well, but again it didn't seem like hakuho was even attempting to exploit the weakness in his opponent's game.

amazing stuff from mitakeumi to come back obviously still injured, and get his kachikoshi. ichinojo back to putting up no resistance though, which is disappointing as always.

giphy.gif

Not surprised Hakuho pulled out. It was pretty obvious he was fighting hurt.

I heard the commentary say Takekaze has retired. I’m guessing Aminishiki (Steven Seagal) will be hanging up the mawashi soon too.

Back