SUMO - 2019 Hatsu Basho (Jan. 13th - Jan. 27th)

Not surprised Hakuho pulled out. It was pretty obvious he was fighting hurt.

I heard the commentary say Takekaze has retired. I’m guessing Aminishiki (Steven Seagal) will be hanging up the mawashi soon too.
yeah, i think from the position aminishiki is in (J3) a disastrous record like he has probably won't drop him out of juryo so he might stick around for one more tournament, but it seems like the time has come for him too. good to see toyonoshima doing well though.

tamawashi and takakeisho both did pretty perfect sumo to set up an exciting day 15.

if Hakuho wants to retire he should. I'd rather he be able to walk.

Like yeah, that's a ton of retirements this year, but he's got nothing left to prove. there's no sense in crippling himself for a few years of decline.

if Hakuho wants to retire he should. I'd rather he be able to walk.

I hope he takes the Osaka basho off. Either way, the injuries are just going to get worse as he gets older. I think he will stop after 2020, with a retirement ceremony in early 2021.

final day kintamayama:

nattosumo:

not going to be able to watch it until later tonight, but man i can't wait.

Bummer that they aren't giving Takakeisho the Ozeki promotion, he has outperformed all of the current ones for pretty much the past year.

Good for Tamawashi, he's always capable of being great on any given day but rarely can he put it together for a full basho

wow, amazing stuff from tamawashi. fantastic performance throughout the tournament. one of the veterans of the top division, but never having missed a single day of competition and with his career turnaround in the last few years, he's looking pretty fresh. and to top it all off to have his second son born on the same day as he wins the championship is pretty amazing.

disappointing for takakeisho to miss out on ozeki promotion but it might be for the best, as giving him a bit more time as a sekiwake might allow him to get more comfortable at the top of the division. he's definitely doing ozeki sumo, and i think he'd settle in to the rank fine, but giving him a bit more time isn't such a bad thing.

I was hoping for a play-off on day 15... as if there wasn't enough drama already.

Back