SUMO - 2019 Hatsu Basho (Jan. 13th - Jan. 27th)

saw this posted on the sumo subreddit, and it's a good article on Kisenosato by John Gunning (on the NHK English sumo broadcasts sometimes, and in the NHK World preview videos):

sp-gunning-c-20190117-870x494.jpg
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports...enosato-embodied-rikishi-ideals/#.XEJz2M17lPY
Despite injuries, Kisenosato embodied rikishi ideals

Kisenosato’s retirement, while both inevitable and expected, casts a pall over the ongoing tournament.

The veteran yokozuna has been one of sumo’s most popular wrestlers over the past decade and a half.

Initially a bright young talent whose rapid rise was catnip to a Japanese public that idolizes teenage sporting heroes, Kisenosato came to embody the phrase “fall seven times and stand up eight” in the latter part of his career.

The great irony of course is that Kisenosato — the ultimate iron man over the first 15 years of his career, missing just a single bout out of 1,123 — fell apart physically upon reaching the mountaintop and was never able to properly enjoy the fruits of his labors.

In his yokozuna debut tournament in March 2017, Kisenosato, despite a pectoral tear suffered two days earlier, somehow managed to mount the dohyo on Day 15 and claim his second title with a pair of wins over championship-chasing Terunofuji.

The injury, however, forced Kisenosato to miss 102 of his following 150 fights.

Even after being absent for all or part of eight straight tournaments, there were few if any calls for Kisenosato to retire.

That spoke to his popularity and the high regard in which he is held in the sumo world.

The 32-year-old, who spent most of his early years in Ryugasaki, Ibaraki Prefecture, became a sumo fan as a child and participated in a few tournaments, but baseball was the main focus for young Yutaka Hagiwara.

Playing multiple positions, he was good enough to earn offers from several powerhouse high schools but decided to pursue a career in sumo after visiting Naruto stable.

And pursue he most certainly did. From his earliest days in the stable, Hagiwara (the name he used until reaching the makuuchi division) was known as an extremely hard worker who rarely took time off from training.

Even over New Year holiday periods, it wasn’t uncommon for Kisenosato to rest only on Jan. 1.

That diligence, along with his stoic nature both inside and outside the ring, made Kisenosato the embodiment of the dignified rikishi ideal.

(READ MORE...)

Yeah I definitely don't remember this many injuries 5-6 years ago, not this many high profile ones for sure.

I can't tell if it's just him being in the lower divisions but Ura looks a lot bigger to me than he used to be. His style seems to have changed a bit as well, I assume due to the knee injury taking some of his mobility
i was thinking the same thing about Ura. the lower division could definitely be a factor, but the injury and time out of competition could also definitely have led to weight gain.

day 7 kintamayama:

day 7 nattosumo:

hakuho starting to look sturdier.

great match between endo and kagayaki, and between chiyonokuni and yutakayama.

How much money is in that giant stack Hakuho got
the short answer is each envelope equals out to about $300 cash for the wrestler, with a bit more set aside to be paid out after taxes (i believe with some of it also set aside to pay for their retirement ceremony).

the long answer is the envelopes are called "kenshō-kin" (or just "kensho") and are paid for by individuals or companies that want to sponsor a bout. an individual kensho envelope costs 62,000 yen, but you can also buy 1 envelope for each of a wrestler's matches for the whole 15 day tournament for 930,000 yen. the flags that you see paraded around the dohyo before a match are the flags of the companies that have bought envelopes for that match. as i said, individuals can also buy envelopes, and Paul McCartney bought a bunch of envelopes for an album of his a few years ago:

1297498520886_ORIGINAL.jpg

6a00d8341c68f553ef019b01aaf60f970c-600wi

there's information about ordering kensho on the sumo association's website HERE.

the winning wrestler gets the bulk of the 62,000 yen in the envelope, with the sumo association collecting 5,300 themselves, and the wrestler getting 30,000 up front in cash and the rest later.

kintamayama day 8:

nattosumo day 8:

nhk world live coverage of the top division second half:

Last edited:
With his back against the wall, what are the odds Goeido wheels out his Henka?

With his back against the wall, what are the odds Goeido wheels out his Henka?
yeah, it's coming for sure. he's going to be desperate for a win.

yago is having a great tournament, and has been really impressive in his debut. hoping he gets his 8th win tomorrow.

again a bit shaky from hakuho, but a win is a win and it was a nice shitatedashinage.

always fun to see the emperor and empress showing up too, and for their last time.

day 9 kintamayama:

and another win for hattorizakura to bring him up to 3-134:

Hattorizakura is on the come up, only got to 23 losses this time

Hattorizakura is on the come up, only got to 23 losses this time
blistering speed at the tachiai too.

unsurprisingly the gap has started to widen between hakuho and the rest of the pack, but chiyonokuni is still keeping pace and looking pretty good. and takakeisho had another picture perfect day.

do you guys consider Hakuho, at this current moment, to be the GOAT of sumo?

Kinda expected it to come sooner than later but a bummer to see guys that were Makuuchi staples when I got into the sport retire.

There could be some argument when it comes down to skill and the differences between eras but without a doubt he is the most decorated of all time. Almost every major stat he is either the record holder or near the top and his longevity at the top has been incredible.

Kinda expected it to come sooner than later but a bummer to see guys that were Makuuchi staples when I got into the sport retire.

There could be some argument when it comes down to skill and the differences between eras but without a doubt he is the most decorated of all time. Almost every major stat he is either the record holder or near the top and his longevity at the top has been incredible.
i heard the argument that Asashoryu at his peak might of been better than Hakuho, although not as accomplished

yeah, really no surprise. takekaze was already pretty established in the top division when i started watching sumo, and while he never really stood out as an amazing wrestler, he was consistently there for years and years. it's definitely coming at the right time, and with all of his experience and working alongside other wrestlers who were also consistent top division guys, i'd expect him to transition well into the life of a stablemaster.

yes, i would. GOAT discussions in any sport are always subjective and there's plenty of debate to be had, but in my opinion he's the greatest. i definitely think it's worth considering that asashoryu in his prime was a beast, and his rivalry with hakuho was so great. the way they played off each other, with hakuho's coolness and asashoryu's fiery temper, was epic.

Hakuho is the Tom Brady of Sumo. it's fine if you don't like him, it's understandable if you're sick of him winning, but the combination of longevity and consistency are undeniable. they've already won more than anybody else, and they're still winning.

Asashoryu is Aaron Rodgers.

Fuck the Patriots. I'm butthurt they're that good, but fuck 'em.

Back