SUMO - 2019 Hatsu Basho (Jan. 13th - Jan. 27th)

although it's from last tournament, Chris Gould has a good look at the ups and downs of Kisenosato's career here:

Dammit, I came here to break the Kisenosato news.

What a rollercoaster of a run at yokozuna.

Expected but still a bummer. Kisenosato deserves better than to go down as one of the worst Yokozuna

I'm very sure that's how he'll be remembered. That's very upsetting, because he was so damn good, right before he got hurt.

HAHAHA, that was a bullshit move by Hakuho. Couldn't believe my eyes. The spin on his foot while keeping his heel from touching the ground was some matrix shit.

Was hoping Hokutofuji would get that, would make things real interesting since he had already gotten through the Ozeki. Hakuho is definitely looking beatable this time around though

Mitakeumi looking great so far

wow, think the hakuho vs. hokutofuji match should have been a redo. great stuff by hokutofuji, but hakuho punished him for a slight mistake at the very end.

mitakeumi winning the battle of the young guns should give him a lot of confidence.

and perennial underachievers kaisei and ichinojo are looking good early on in this tournament.

Yago vs Chiyonokuni
&
Sadanoumi vs Endo

Two of the best bouts of the whole basho so far!

day 5 kintamayama:

day 5 nattosumo:

Yago vs Chiyonokuni
&
Sadanoumi vs Endo

Two of the best bouts of the whole basho so far!
great matches. endo crushing sadanoumi looked brutal.

the big men, ichinojo, kaisei, and aoiyama are all looking very good.

the nishikigi vs. hakuho match had all kinds of drama. great way to end a broadcast.

Day 5 is one of the very best days of sumo I've seen.

How many of his nine lives has Hakuho used up so far?

Hakuho is really going to win this with just hairline endings every day isn't he?

great matches. endo crushing sadanoumi looked brutal.

the big men, ichinojo, kaisei, and aoiyama are all looking very good.

the nishikigi vs. hakuho match had all kinds of drama. great way to end a broadcast.
Sadanoumi looked out cold!

Yago looks skilful for a big guy.

The big men(apart from tochi) are looking solid.
I’m amazed how motivated Ichinojo is looking.
The Aoiyama hair pull call was harsh I thought, what did you think?

Hakuho doesn’t look his best and it’s making for some exciting matches, he’s fortunate to still be undefeated.

Hakuho is really going to win this with just hairline endings every day isn't he?

goats-wattles.jpg.838x0_q80.jpg

Of course Mitakeumi is hurt now because we can't have nice things.

Looking like this is going to be the Hakuho show yet again

Looking like this is going to be the Hakuho show yet again

You'll take what The Boss gives you and like it. He's the sole person propping up sumo right now, with his old geriatric hands.

man, it really sucks. i don't know what you do about it, but these injuries are getting ridiculous. i don't know if this is strictly a problem in the last few years, but i don't remember the injuries being this bad when i first started watching.

in other news, great to see ishiura up from juryo for the day doing his usual fun little-guy sumo magic.

The Aoiyama hair pull call was harsh I thought, what did you think?
i think it was the right call, but just unlucky for aoiyama. i think he was winning anyway, and onosho wasn't recovering from the pull down, but it looked to me like you could see his head being yanked down slightly as aoiyama's hands got caught in his hair, and i think by the letter of the law that's a foul. obviously not intentional, but it is what it is.

man, it really sucks. i don't know what you do about it, but these injuries are getting ridiculous. i don't know if this is strictly a problem in the last few years, but i don't remember the injuries being this bad when i first started watching.

in other news, great to see ishiura up from juryo for the day doing his usual fun little-guy sumo magic.
Yeah I definitely don't remember this many injuries 5-6 years ago, not this many high profile ones for sure.

I can't tell if it's just him being in the lower divisions but Ura looks a lot bigger to me than he used to be. His style seems to have changed a bit as well, I assume due to the knee injury taking some of his mobility

Back