SUMO - 2019 Hatsu Basho (Jan. 13th - Jan. 27th)

yeah, i keep thinking about how much pressure he must be under. he's saying he's in good shape heading into the tournament, and seems to recognize that he has to be mentally prepared for the tournament.

tenor.gif

miss that guy. at least there's Enho making progress in Juryo, and Ura working his way back up. and although nobody can fight like Takanoyama, at least we still have exciting guys in the top division like Chiyonokuni, Abi, and Yoshikaze. and with a good tournament this time fan-favorite Toyonoshima could be back in the top division in March.

- I thought he wound end in NJPW. Guy got a cool look and charisma!

Great day out at the sumo. Quite a few upsets.

day 1 kintamayama:

another option for highlights that i've never really watched is NattoSumo:

his highlights have the English NHK live commentary, and lots of stats and stuff.

full 2nd half (i think) of the first day with English commentary:

Great first day and I'm excited for hopefully another great tournament overall.

Hope is dead, Kisenosato is done for

Hope is dead, Kisenosato is done for
the new sign above the entrance to the kokugikan reads "abandon hope, all ye who enter here."

it was interesting listening to the english broadcast, as john gunning was saying that the kind of expression you saw on kisenosato's face after he lost, and as he was walking back and looking at the monitor to watch the replays, was the kind of expression you see at the end of someone's career. it's definitely true, kisenosato looked completely defeated, and also as john gunning said it looked like he was surprised and he was expecting himself to do better, but from the beginning of the match could immediately feel that he didn't have the strength at all. too bad.

takakeisho looked fantastic though, as did nishikigi. good first top division match for yago as well.

the ozeki all losing on day 1 though.... also not good....

also, hattorizakura watch day 1:

enho's match was fun as usual:

Ichinojo was impressive on day 1. He fought like he actually wanted to win.

Ichinojo was impressive on day 1. He fought like he actually wanted to win.
Chances are he will lose interest in winning half way through. Very frustrating rikishi to watch, seems to have plenty of ability but only shows it half the time.

Really interesting video I came across today.

As a non Japanese speaking westerner I don’t often hear all that much in terms of insider opinions and gossip. Really liked this, Chris is channel in general is good for this kind of thing

Day 2
Ozeki down again, essentially all 3 lost, takayasu was very lucky to be awarded the win.

Kisenosato looks done.

Hakuho looks to be fading a little, but still the best in the game atm

Bloody basho so far, two days two big bleeding gashes.

Looking good!

day 2 kintamayama:

day 2 nattosumo:

Day 2
Ozeki down again, essentially all 3 lost, takayasu was very lucky to be awarded the win.

Kisenosato looks done.

Hakuho looks to be fading a little, but still the best in the game atm

Bloody basho so far, two days two big bleeding gashes.

Looking good!
wow, you said it. takayasu dodged a bullet, and the top guys are getting massacred.

i'd be surprised if kisenosato doesn't pull out after another dismal performance. and if he does pull out i'd be surprised if he doesn't retire. since he received the "letter of encouragement" or whatever from the sumo powers that be, i think this tournament was make or break for him and he's been failing miserably.

takakeisho and mitakeumi are all looking quite good so far. and even though nishikigi was put in a bad position by tochinoshin, he did a good job of putting tochinoshin's bum leg under pressure and got the win because it couldn't hold up.

kagayaki is splitting foreheads like nobody's business.

Last edited:
here's Ura's first match of the tournament (timestamped):

i think that is the final nail in kisenosato coffin. I’m starting to think it must be mental at this point, his form looked awful, grabbing the head and top shoulder of the opponent!
The ichi looked solid in a losing effort against Hakuho, who seems to either be fading or is not 100% still
Ozeki were awful again!
Taka and Mitakeumi looking the brightest of the bunch

Mitakeumi and Hokutofuji are looking strong, Takakeisho also following up his yusho nicely so far. Looking like a big changing of the guard is due sooner than later

Expected but still a bummer. Kisenosato deserves better than to go down as one of the worst Yokozuna

yeah, long overdue but finally it's all over.

more great stuff from takakeisho, mitakeumi, hokutofuji, aoiyama, and even nishikigi.

great fight between ichinojo and hakuho who's having to work hard for his wins.

another weak day from the ozeki.

Back