(submissions) Do you think fedor knows....

He's probably been shown things like omoplata and gogplata but not really thought it high enough percentage to really bother drilling it or using it in a fight.

Fedors somewhat of an armbar merchant, he has awesome armbars so he probably sees an armbar coming rather than a triangle. Other guys are the other way round, if youre that well versed you can push one rather than the other from virtually the same starting point.

Fedor has 14 submission victories. Usually he works armbars and kimuras, but he's got good chokes and he likes to work leg locks. He seems pretty well rounded in submissions, but I've never seen him try for triangle or omaplata. Maybe his BJJ is limited, or it could be he's just never needed it.

pretty ironic hes not good at chokes eh ?? sambo doesnt train chokes.

Bloody hell, I read almost 2 pages, before I realised this was started somewhere in the Heavyweights.

Why do the mods keep throwing this crap in the grappling forum?

We need a sign that says "No thanks, Wasteland is That way --->"

I used to train with a Sambo badass. A guy named Steven who used to teach Sambo to Russians, in Russia. I think he was the head of the USSA. He has a shitload of vids on youtube also,

I dont think that people dont use those moves because they arent known, but because ALOT of sambo moves are very very intricate, and have more motions than the basic mma submissions and even bjj subs.

That being said, some of those moves blew my fucking doors off. It was like learning BJJ all over again, with emphasis, of course, on leg locks, bicep and calf crushers. Those moves are great to have in your arsenal, but can rarely be used in MMA.

One question I had was........how well would Fedor do in a straight up BJJ match, wearing a gi, against a guy like Rickson. He wouldnt win on points for sure, but could he avoid the sub?

SAmbosteve the dude who posts here?

Fedor is really good at staying out of those holds, so I would say he knows them/has studied them.

pretty ironic hes not good at chokes eh ?? sambo doesnt train chokes.

They do train chokes. They're just not allowed in sport Sambo. Obviously Fedor knows all manner of chokes and how to defend them. Otherwise he would have got choked out by Nog in all three of there fights instead of shrugging them off like they were nothing and making Nog look like an amateur.

They do train chokes. They're just not allowed in sport Sambo.

Whereas they definitely are in Combat Sambo. That dude who had Fedor in serious trouble at the recent President's Cup when Fedor was sick with the flu was working a RNC on him from back mount.

I think he knows what triangles are and has probably used them in the past. He probably just prefers to be on top in a fight and punch peoples face in.

I've seen almost all of his MMA fights and it seems like he will either go for an arm bar or kimura from his back or try a sweep. He doesn't stay on his back long.

Sorry for my delayed response...I generally avoid there fedor threads...and these style vs style type threads. They tend to be really stupid and they have been done over and over again.

In any event, Fedor is not only a sambo guy, he is a long time judoka 9as most russian sambists are), and has done many other things as well...combat sambo, military stuff, etc. Never BJJ though to my knowledge.

He most certainly would know a triangle choke (under a different name) and omaplata (we just call it a shoulder lock). These submissions existed long before the brazillians called them triangles and omaplatas. There is nothing new out there guys...get real.

In fact, when I was in Russia last year I trained some crazy shoulder locks that BJJ guys would certainly call omaplata variations.

But, someone said earlier that it is better for a fighter to be able to nail the basics, that develop a wide range of fancy techniques.

Fedor's armbars may be considered basic, but he nails them. That's all there is.

i'm sure fedor knows those moves, but armbars are generally higher rate submissions

Can you please tell me what about a triangle choke is flashy and unpractical?

first of all, in a real fighting circumstance on the street, a triangle choke is as probable as pulling off a double spinning crescent kick. the likeliness of it happening are relatively slim to none. i have done it once in a street fight successfully and about three other attempts and got my nose and part of my upper jaw broken from people's "friends." in a MMA situation, its pure glam and showing that "i can do this" kind of technique. same goes for a gogoplata. i did a negative gogo in training and thought i killed someone. its very dangerous and should be done only if the person knows exactly what they are doing. same goes for a triangle choke. if you misapply the pressure, you can do serious damage to both the back and neck and shoulders.

Can you please tell me what about a triangle choke is flashy and unpractical?

Well, suppose the guy comes at you in an Abrams tank, and starts shelling you from a mile out. How are you going to get your triangle choke on him then, huh wise guy? Didn't think of that, did you? :icon_twis

first of all, in a real fighting circumstance on the street, a triangle choke is as probable as pulling off a double spinning crescent kick. the likeliness of it happening are relatively slim to none. i have done it once in a street fight successfully and about three other attempts and got my nose and part of my upper jaw broken from people's "friends." in a MMA situation, its pure glam and showing that "i can do this" kind of technique. same goes for a gogoplata. i did a negative gogo in training and thought i killed someone. its very dangerous and should be done only if the person knows exactly what they are doing. same goes for a triangle choke. if you misapply the pressure, you can do serious damage to both the back and neck and shoulders.
Are you joking? I've had a couple "friendly scraps" with people that don't know anything and the first thing they do to open my guard is reach one arm inside and try to turn me over. I triangled both of them and they tapped. You think if you're fighting a guy and you're surrounded by his buddies they aren't going to start stomping your ass if you lock up an armbar or RNC? It doesn't matter what you do, whether you're on the ground or standing, if they feel like their friend is losing the fight or getting hurt there is a good chance they are going to jump you.

What is a negative gogo? How do you misapply the pressure of a triangle to injure someones back and shoulders? You must have some monstrous legs. Or you are full of it. I'm not sure which.

I thought armbars were the greatest thing ever. You could often pull them off at the club and always slap one on a buddy in a rasslin match. Then when comp got tuffer I had to use all my energy an skill just to pull off a superiority win in decision.

My buddy at judo always submitted me on the ground but vs his tuff comp he looked very much like me in mine.

Im sure Fedor knows them, just doesnt train them.

^^Armbars? Yea I'd say he knows them and trains them all the time, considering he's submitted his opponents with the armbar more then anyother submission. :D He has one of the slickest armbars in MMA.

What is a negative gogo? How do you misapply the pressure of a triangle to injure someones back and shoulders? You must have some monstrous legs. Or you are full of it. I'm not sure which.

the negative gogo is also known as the integrated gogoplata, but thats what people who trained in fighting called it before BJJ became the new fitness made simple. it is locked up similar to a normal gogoplata except you lock your bracing leg over the persons neck or back and then grab your top leg to apply pressure. you cant pull it off unless you have fuckin freaky crazy flexibility. and yes my legs used to be scary strong and i have pulled shoulders out with T-Chokes.

Well this is an MMA/Striking/Grappling forum so I really am not interested in the context of a street fight. And as for triangles being glam and dangerous. They are probably the third or fourth most common sub pulled off in MMA right there with the RNC, armbar, guillotine, and kimura. I learned them my third day of BJJ class. All chokes not just triangles and gogoplattas can be very dangerous if not done right or by pros. Their chokes. And in MMA there are many instances where a fighter wins by triangle and he is anything but showing off or saying "look at me,I can do this." Its a very legitimate sub.

Back