(submissions) Do you think fedor knows....

P

Peet Cassidy

Moves like the triangle choke and gogoplata and shit, do they teach these kind of hold's in sambo, or is it a purely BJJ thing? i was wondering because every series of TUF you see some average ass fighter pull them off but iv yet to see Fedor do anything like that, and while he always wins anyway, they are effective when your on your back.

BTW i realize that with his ground game he could probably pick them up pretty fuckin fast, im just wondering if he already knows them because of his sambo background.

i train sambo and I can tell you that no one does them. Ive tried them before because ive seen them done but its easier to hit an armbar then a gogo or omo plata those are obscure. sambo has alot of other cool moves that you never see people use because no one in the states trains in it.

i train sambo and I can tell you that no one does them. Ive tried them before because ive seen them done but its easier to hit an armbar then a gogo or omo plata those are obscure. sambo has alot of other cool moves that you never see people use because no one in the states trains in it.

I hope Fedor demonstrates one of these move's on big Tim.

Fedor has 14 submission victories. Usually he works armbars and kimuras, but he's got good chokes and he likes to work leg locks. He seems pretty well rounded in submissions, but I've never seen him try for triangle or omaplata. Maybe his BJJ is limited, or it could be he's just never needed it.

I think triangles in Sambo are known. As Sambo has some roots in Judo and the Triangle is a Judo choke originally.

I don't know any Sambo usage of the gogo.

Where's Sambo Steve?! He'll save us!

I'm pretty sure he knows triangles, every time Nog even started to go for one in their first fight he'd push right out of it so he knows them at least well enough to avoid them. The Omo and Gogo I'm not so sure about, maybe when he signs to fight Brad Imes he'll learn the defense for it?

Triangle is in Judo which Fedor has and still trains. Not many people know it but the Omaplata is in Judo as well, Hishigi Hiza Gatame, I have it a very old traditional Judo book i own so it's possible he knows that too but as i said not many Judoka i know actually know it.

While those moves aren't traditionally in Sambo, I have no doubt Fedor knows them.

a lot of BJJ practitioners don't really know what a gogoplatta is.

It's better to be phenomenal at 2 or 3 moves than be just mediocre at 15 or 20 moves. Fedor has the slickest armbars in all of heavyweight mma & is right up there with Josh Barnett for having the best kimura in heavyweight mma. I guess Big Nog would be the best at triangle chokes.

i do not think that anybody has a better arm bar than Fedor, that is all he need

Triangle is in Judo which Fedor has and still trains. Not many people know it but the Omaplata is in Judo as well, Hishigi Hiza Gatame, I have it a very old traditional Judo book i own so it's possible he knows that too but as i said not many Judoka i know actually know it.

Hishigi Hiza Gatame is "knee amrlock", it is an an armbar, not a shoulder lock. An Omoplata is Sankaku Garami in Judo. Most Judoka know Sankaku Garami. Makoto Takamoto used it to sweep Galesic, then get the kimura for the win.

Here's a video of one of the greatest groundfighters in Judo history showing a whole video on nothing but the omaplata.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O5-oNGaTE4

Anyway, all chokes are illegal in sport Sambo. So is chickenwinging the arm behind the back. So obviously a properly applied omoplata is gonna be illegal in sport Sambo. But most Samboist are Judoka, so they know chokes and all manner of armlocks. Fedor has trained Judo his entire life and was on the Russian national team. He is certainly familar with Sankaku Jime (triangle choke).There is also different rulesets for Sambo. Freestyle and combat Sambo do allow chokes.

Feder trains in the art of MMA, therefore he may not specificly train many submission moves, you can bet you're ass he recognizes what his opponent is attempting to do and has an excellent submission defense.

Even big nog gave him props on his defense. He was quoted saying something along the lines of fedor being the quickest fighter hes fought to recognize hes in danger and immediately move to avoid the submission.

anyone thats been learning subs for as long as he has will pick up on most everything

a lot of BJJ practitioners don't really know what a gogoplatta is.

Are you serious bro? I've done mostly gi bjj and i've known what a gogo is for ages...same as everyone else in our gym.

Maybe he just feels that the risk of a triangle isn't worth the reward? Idk.

Back