Stroke my Ego, watch me compete soon.

Dam!! Nice kick!! Wow. You just kept going at him non stop.

Very nicely played. He was totally committed to getting revenge for that stiff jab so he just came straight in looking to to throw.

Your motto must be something along the lines of “Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more.”

good fucking grief man, excellent.

how long have you been training? your guard looked great.

Nice work, man. You stunned with your right and then crocopped him out.

oyaji poi said:
Your motto must be something along the lines of “Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more.”

Kind of! I figure even if I am not doing something significant that is no reason to give him time to think, keep hitting, keep moving, and keep throwing up strikes/subs back and forth to keep him guessing and create openings.

I have been training for a bit, wrestled 3 years in HS, Shaolin Kempo alla USSD for ~3 years, BJJ idk 3-almost 4 years??, and Thai/Western boxing for a year or twoish alongside the BJJ. Currently sticking with my BJJ and boxing.

I make it a point to keep a very active guard, and can thank Vamos BJJ for that-

www.vamosjiujitsu.net

Great fucking job man, you looked a helluvalot better in the fight than you did in that first sparring vid, but you described exactly the only criticisms I would have had.(hands low, pulling kicks)

You seem to have it figured out in the ring though. :icon_chee That must be an amazing feeling to knock someone out like that.

So I trained for the first time in months on Monday, hour BJJ and hour Thai.

After 5 months out (yeah I trained maybe 5 or so times for those Sept. fights, I just wanted to fight so bad though I had to take them!) rolling was rusty, I could tell that I was supposed to be doing certain things (transitions mostly) but my body wasn't listening to my mind, should take a week or so to get back on track.

The conditioning was nuts, I mean 3 5 minute rounds killed me, I managed to outposition and have my way with 2 blues the forst 2 rounds but in the last round it was all I could do to just stay alive! Once again a week or so this will be a non-issue.

Thai went good, mostly just pad work and scenarios. Sparring is on Friday nights after class so I have to change my work schedule for that, plus so I can make it to all the other classes.

Pretty much I'm working out 2x a day now with techniqe, lifting, and conditioning. Also I started my stretching and grip workouts again (which are in addition my 2 workouts a day).

My lifts are ok, I pulled 445 easily last week and 500 feels so close. My DB Bench I need to get back to repping the 100's (at 90's for now) and hope to get DB Shoulder Press up to the 70's also (55's now). I also do a ton of other lifts but you get the idea, I may post a lifting session once in a while.

So pretty much only my deadlift stayed strong while everything else died during my off time.

OK enough re-cap, oing to stretch then off to bed for tomorrow, lifting, BJJ, and grip.

TheAth-ah-lete said:
Great fucking job man, you looked a helluvalot better in the fight than you did in that first sparring vid, but you described exactly the only criticisms I would have had.(hands low, pulling kicks)

You seem to have it figured out in the ring though. That must be an amazing feeling to knock someone out like that

I feel like I have a good sense of my weaknesses, I watch my fights A LOT and try to pick them out and work on them a lot.

Also, to be honest, KO'ing someone feels the same as subbing them which feels the same as fighting in general to me, its just awesome no matter what happens. Long as I am in the ring/cage/whatever its good win or lose.

Rolled Sat/Sun about 1 1/2 hours a piece. Harder this time as far as pulling off techniques. Still adjusting and getting things back. Managed to pull oof a lot more moves than prior but I can see my decline.

My guard work and everything was iffy as I questioned myslef a lot rather than jsut go for it.

On a high note my endurance is already 10 better than it was on Monday, Monday I wanted to die, today I felt good.

Off to the weights in a bit, will post the results.

Hit the gym to lift followed by some grip work and stretching.

DB Bench- 95x 7,4,2 Speed Sets 50x 10x3Leg Press- 600x5,5 540x5,5
Row- 160x3,3 135x6 Speed Row 90x 10x3 Calf- 120 3x10
Anterior- 70 3x10
Adductor- 160 3x10 Abductor- 130 3x10
Front Raise- 35 3x6
Lat Raise- 35 3x3

Warmup on the CoC Trainer 3x3 each hand 3,1,1 with the #1
5 assisted closes with negatives on the #2
5 overcrushes with the #1
40 reps with the Trainer

My last grip session I managed to get the #1 30, 22, 10 on the right and 17,10,6 on the left, closing the #2 is near.

I will just keep alternating heavy sessions with rep intense sessions for now and see how it progresses.

BJJ in the morning and BJJ again followed by Thai at night, time to go to bed after I eat.

BJJ this morning followed by BJJ at night, then Thai.

Nothing much to write about out of the ordinary I suppose. Rolled with other blues.
Morning session was from standing and I got the takedown every time followed by top control into subs. Like I said nothing crazy.

I did well at transitioning through positions today both morning and night, going back and forth to mount, sidemount, NS, and back control. When I felt I lost control or was about to be swept, I just switched the position and kept working.

Hitting a lot of ankle locks and kneebars as I used to do. Tried something new I thought of when my partner turtled tonight: I grabbed both his ankles and lifted (like when you wheelbarrow as a kid, except he was face down), extended him, and when he turned to get belly up I swung right into a kneebar.
As far as the ankle locks go I noticed I am getting them a lot, and if I just hold nto the leg and pinch my knees very tight I almost 100% of the time nail it, even if my foot is off the hip. I make sure to pinch my knees tight and roll while positioning myslef if he defended.
My partner even mounted as the defense from my ankle lock attack, however I kept hold of the limb tight, regained my position and got the tap.

Another way I get them alot is while rolling for the ankle lock, I turn belly down (which makes my partner go belly down) and then just pinch and arch for the tap, works very well when I can't get the foot on the hip or he is defending well.

Thai was straight kick padwork for rounds. Puch kick, body kick, kick ladders, kick combos, lots of kicking and sweat.

I focused on keeping my chin tucked, hands up, and always staying covered. Made sure to focus on recovering my stance fast after throwing my kick combos. Made sure to tuck my chin into the shoulder of the arm of which my arm swings down when roundhousing. That's it.

So 1 1/2 hours in the morning and 2 1/2 hours a t night, good stuff.

Oh, I fall victim to the armbar from guard a lot, I usually defend and escape, even get a pass out of it, but damn I fall for it a lot.

Thing is it's not like they even set it up a lot, they just throw it up and I'm jumping to stack and grab my arm, hell I even see it coming from a mile away most times! Weird, so I am going to have to look into that.

And my side mount defense sucks big time, I feel helpless, so another thing to work on.

Those are the two biggies that come to mind anyway.

After work I hit the weights again, I'm lifting 3x a week, trying to make everything POWERFULL!!! No weak links here please...

Being my 2nd lift day, there is only 1 "big move" followed by all "small stuff" like isolations and machine work. Day 1 and 3 are "big days" where I focus on Bench, Dead, Leg Press, BOR, Weighted Pullup, and Shoulder Press. I hit each "big" movement 1x a week and the little things whenever I can as long as they are recovered and ready. Hitting the Big things more than 1x a week I can't recover quick enough.

DB Incline- 70x 9,7 55x7,7
Calf- 140x6 (didn't work too hard, just upped the weight by 20lbs from last workout, did a few reps, and saved the hard calf work for next time)
Anterior- bah ran out of time, do it on Friday
Straight Bar Curl- 80x10,6 60x10 (Very strict form)
Lat Raise- 35 3x4
Neck Machine- 60 2x10 50x10

Taught classes, went home, did some grip work. Overcrushes and static holds on the #1 CoC, then finished with high reps on the Trainer.
Right Hand- 70, 20, 10
Left Hand- 55,10,5
Finished the Trainer sets in a few minutes, minimal rest between sets.

Going to stretch, then bed.

Bag workin the morning followed by boxing at night!

So just did bagwork for tha day on Wed, heavy bag and speedbag. Starting the boxing work next week.
Just did a few rounds a piece, first time hitting a bag in months, damn has it been that long!?

During the day I worked, then taught classes, then my bagwork, home, sleep, got up for work again, heading ou to train no-gi at 7 in an hour.

No gi, drilled getting hooks from top turtle, then adjusting/regaining both hooks if he peels one out, from the back latch grip.

Other move was new to me, triangle from back mount. You stay on his back side though, pretty cool. Hug the leg or hip up to finish, a bit awkward feeling at first but still pretty cool.

Rolled one round of guard passing, from bottom I hit mostly arm in guillotines. From top I was a bit slower but worked my kneebars/ankle locks, and passed a bit. My bottom is definitely more active then my top now.
Rolled 2 rounds then a few more in open mat from the knees. Happy to say I did well, again nailing arm in guillotines, ankle locks, and kneebars a lot.

Used the chin strap grip for my arm in guillotine a few times and it works much better this way, have to make sure to go for that chin strap as my go to rather than just wrappping my arm around the head.

Hit the ankle lock while standing in open guard today. I usually attack it from the outside as I think escaping that is a little more difficult. I should make it more of a point to walk forward and circle when I have it to negate my partner's defense. I think if I walk in to him and circle it will be harder for him to put his foot on my hip and turn out.

Back to the subject of my arm ins, like the ankle lock/kneebar I try to nail them from every where. Hit them from guard, half guard, mount, top turtle. During scrambles a lot also. From mount or top turtle I get it as they turn into me, usually I jack an overhook first then let them turn into me as I put the choke in place.

With a newer partner I worked my sidemoutn escapes by letting him start in top side mount. Worked right into turning in and getting the single leg and also timing a bridge/roll as he steps over into mount, landing me in top guard.
I made the point to go for kimuras on this guy and worked them from NS, rolling a forearm to get an underhook while turning him, and pinching the knees on him while working the top arm for the kimura.

As a final note, I felt great in class tonight like I was back in a groove and a familiar place. Hitting the arm ins, ankle locks, kneebars, and now the kimuras made me extra happy, as those seem to be my high percentage subs in general that I work for a lot.
Always landed way more of those then armbars/triangles/omoplatas(lol I suck at these) and even RNC's.

Went to the Thai class at Vamos BJJ, the instructor had to bail out last minute so we had an open mat.
Warmed up with some rope and pad drills for a bit, then sparred.
It was my first time sparring in headgear, have to say I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would.
My head movement was good, avoided a lot of punches, just have to work on firing back with my straights and following up.

My game was held back a bit as I couldn't kick with my right leg much, no push kicks at all. Jammed up my big toe joint bad a few days ago.

Need to jab more and set up more, I hold back and wait to slip and counter rather than create an opening actively.

Lifted on Saturday night. Skipped BJJ in the morning as my body was beaten up a bit, my feet are were on the verge of an injury so a day off grappling was needed.

DB Bench- 100x5,4,3 60x20
Deadlift- missed 455!! So instead, 405x2, 315x2x5
Weighted Pullup- 90x2 45x5,5 2x10 at BW
Adductor- 160x10,10,20
Abductor- 130x10,10,20
Lat Raise- 30x10,10 20x10
Front Raise- 30x10,10
Calf- 130x3x10
Anterior- 90x3x10

So I missed the 455 dead, which means I need to go into lower weight and higher reps now. I've burnt out on my heavy deads it seems so a month on the lighter weight focusing on speed and form are in order.

Everything else was great! Back to the 100's on DB Bench, my weighted pullup is strong after the layoff and 115 is only 25lbs a way!

Squeezed my CoC's that night also, almost closed the #2 in both hands. Did assisted closes on the #2, then did overcrushes with the #1.

Back