Strength is specific

@dissectingaorticaneurysm well I agree with you...my main point was that the average male or even shitty athletic, slightly undersized male is going to be able to pull 3 plates if they start training with any seriousness, within a relatively short time.

I was initially arguing against the idea that TS stated, saying GSP would deadlift less than 400 lbs. I think we would both agree that is ridiculous.

Thinking back to HS, yes there were a few stud standouts who could deadlift ~500-600lbs in my HS which isn't even that big of a town/city. I also agree there, yes there are kids on the football team who will be pulling 400+, and a few specimens who will be pulling 500-600+ lbs even with a football weightlifting program, not some specialized technique / program driven PL program.

Those would be the "genetic freaks" I'm talking about, roughly.

In regards to women I believe what I said. Yes obviously there are outliers there too, like the girl you posted. I briefly looked her up and she is around 170 lbs or so probably when pulling that, impressive still obviously as she's not a super heavyweight or anything. But she's probably built to deadlift much like that Richard "ant" guy is, and Woolam is, and she specifically trains deadlifting all the time through PLing. Who knows if shes on something either, easily could be on low dose stuff...we don't know.

My original point was that VERY VERY few women are going to be out deadlifting GSP. Especially if we put GSP on the same level of routine as the girls, give him a powerlifting program. I would imagine he would pull 500+ easily, and probably should reach 600+. We also don't know if GSP would be using PEDs quite frankly either.
If Gsp can deadlift more than 400 I doubt it's by much, and personally I'm pretty confident that he's not squatting 400 because most guys on average deadlift a little more than they can squat, and squatting is a lift that involves more technique imo, so time and devotion is going to be necessary if you want to put up some good numbers. If GSP did put his focus into powerlifting maybe he could put up some good numbers, but nothing I've read or seen in his training footage makes me believe that that's how he trains. I've only seen him doing explosive type movement's, plyometrics, gymnastics and other general strength and conditioning as part of his training. He probably doesn't think powerlifting helps him much and doesn't see it necessary like Jones to post a bunch of ego lifts on social media just to impress people

There’s definitely no way GSP benches over 275. That’s not even humanly possible.

If Gsp can deadlift more than 400 I doubt it's by much, and personally I'm pretty confident that he's not squatting 400 because most guys on average deadlift a little more than they can squat, and squatting is a lift that involves more technique imo, so time and devotion is going to be necessary if you want to put up some good numbers. If GSP did put his focus into powerlifting maybe he could put up some good numbers, but nothing I've read or seen in his training footage makes me believe that that's how he trains. I've only seen him doing explosive type movement's, plyometrics, gymnastics and other general strength and conditioning as part of his training. He probably doesn't think powerlifting helps him much and doesn't see it necessary like Jones to post a bunch of ego lifts on social media just to impress people

Dude, I can deadlift over 400 right now anytime I walk up to the bar and I'm definitely not the athlete GSP is or I am severely deluded in a negative sense about my athleticism.

That was my point. I literally deadlifted on monday and tried to do a "lighter" session, I pulled 365 like it was a piece of paper and I pulled 415 pretty fast, after doing ~15 reps, then just did BJJ last night and probably will be going to a class tonight.

My point is that I'm not some special athlete nor have I ever seriously focused on powerlifting, been on a program, focused on technique of lifts, took steroids/PEDs, nor am I a ~huge person. Again...I used to pull 3 plates+ easily at 135-140 lbs bodyweight as a 16-17 year old, and right now I'm probably 190-200 roughly and I can walk up to a bar and pull 400+ easily, that's with training BJJ and having even less of a focus on lifting than I did prior.

If GSP focused his training on powerlifting, even while still doing grappling/striking work as a secondary focus, he could EASILY deadlift over 400 in weeks, if he doesn't already...which I bet he could.

GSP-olympic.jpg

We already know GSP fell in love for Oly lifting for awhile, and the picture above has him high pulling, or probably snatching 225 it looks like. Even if we assumed that was his max lift, snatching 225 is pretty tough and definitely translates to being able to pull 400+ off the floor most likely.

He is seen benching 225 here too, I don't think he's using maxmial weights for that either considering the whole camp focus lifting wise was explosive speed spectrum stuff, plyo and jump squats with a load, etc.

Yes you've never seen anything because GSP himself believed weightlifting was "retarded" to put it crudely when he was younger in his career. But he did do PL stuff and olympic lifting stuff later on, don't think he's the type of guy to brag about numbers or want to boost his ego with them as opposed to someone like Jones who went full powerlifter and tried to get max PRs at one point.

This part is just my speculation but I guarantee it's accurate enough: GSP could probably deadlift 500-600, squat 400+, and bench ~275-300+ within minimal time, a few months at most, on a PL program. Those might even be conservative numbers if he's free to bulk and/or use PEDs obviously which again is an open question regarding GSP.

Fair enough I was off a bit in how I remembered, personally using that website which was pretty cool I was able to find 4 -400+ squats at 148 lbs and below. Throw in the 165 lb class there's an additional 14 girls squatting 400 plus. This was for invitational meets

At regional meets I found 9 lifters at 148 lbs with 400+ squats and 16 additional lifters if you include 165. Lower the weight around 380/390 of course you will get several girls that are just under the 400 marker. I didn't check the deadlift numbers but I imagine the results would be similar, but probably less by about 20%.

Bench, I found 7 girls lifting 300+, so I don't know what to tell you there

Dude, that's with equipment. Do you even powerlift bro?

There’s definitely no way GSP benches over 275. That’s not even humanly possible.
Definitely not, because he benches bout tree fiddy.

We already know GSP fell in love for Oly lifting for awhile, and the picture above has him high pulling, or probably snatching 225 it looks like.

I don’t care about anything you and the other guy are going back and forth about, but that is super clearly 135.

I don’t care about anything you and the other guy are going back and forth about, but that is super clearly 135.

Yeah, didn't notice it was a singular big ass bumper crossfit plate with that photo quality. Regardless I think GSP can obviously deadlift more than 400 lbs ...probably right now or virtually instantly if he trained deadlifts.

Dude, that's with equipment. Do you even powerlift bro?
I have no interest in it no, I think it's one of the most overrated forms of exercise. This whole debate is about people getting offended because there are girls out there who can lift more than gsp. My point is who gives a fuck, even without lifting as much weight, gsp could ragdoll and do what he pleases with any of these girls in a full contact sport. Even if you put gsp in a helmet and pads he would blow right through these girls because he has a more functional form of power. Who really gives a fuck if he can't put up a lot of weight because he's not interested enough to be bothered

I have no interest in it no, I think it's one of the most overrated forms of exercise. This whole debate is about people getting offended because there are girls out there who can lift more than gsp. My point is who gives a fuck, even without lifting as much weight, gsp could ragdoll and do what he pleases with any of these girls in a full contact sport. Even if you put gsp in a helmet and pads he would blow right through these girls because he has a more functional form of power. Who really gives a fuck if he can't put up a lot of weight because he's not interested enough to be bothered
Squatting, bench pressing, and deadlifting are the most overrated forms of excercise?

I agree with some of what you are saying but you are just framing it in a way that's somewhat incorrect.

1. GSP can lift more than the numbers you originally claimed (less than 400 lbs to 400 on a deadlift) easily. Any relatively healthy and relatively average sized male can achieve that, and GSP is obviously superior athletically, in shape, and strength wise than the average male.

2. Yes some women out there could out deadlift GSP or out lift him but you're talking about rarities here, like 1% of girls who lift. And then you are talking about girls who focus on powerlifting heavily, who are heavy weight wise, and/or use PEDs.

3. But yes I agree...it doesn't really matter how much you can deadlift, squat, or bench at a point. The speed side of the speed-strength spectrum becomes much more important in striking to generate force fast, aka power. Speed itself is important. Skills are extremely important, obviously. And stabilizers, core work, rotational power, different planes etc.

The deadlift, squat, bench are tools to gain strength and mass. They will help but there's really a limit and they don't necessarily translate fully to grappling or striking obviously. But someone who can deadlift 700 lbs with the same skills, cardio, and relatively flexibility / other stuff...is going to be much stronger on the mat or cage than someone who can only deadlift 400 lbs. It's not a huge thing though at a certain point, agreed.

Chad Wesley Smith agrees and he was a powerlifter who turned into a BJJ guy

Dude, I can deadlift over 400 right now anytime I walk up to the bar and I'm definitely not the athlete GSP is or I am severely deluded in a negative sense about my athleticism.

That was my point. I literally deadlifted on monday and tried to do a "lighter" session, I pulled 365 like it was a piece of paper and I pulled 415 pretty fast, after doing ~15 reps, then just did BJJ last night and probably will be going to a class tonight.

My point is that I'm not some special athlete nor have I ever seriously focused on powerlifting, been on a program, focused on technique of lifts, took steroids/PEDs, nor am I a ~huge person. Again...I used to pull 3 plates+ easily at 135-140 lbs bodyweight as a 16-17 year old, and right now I'm probably 190-200 roughly and I can walk up to a bar and pull 400+ easily, that's with training BJJ and having even less of a focus on lifting than I did prior.

If GSP focused his training on powerlifting, even while still doing grappling/striking work as a secondary focus, he could EASILY deadlift over 400 in weeks, if he doesn't already...which I bet he could.

GSP-olympic.jpg

We already know GSP fell in love for Oly lifting for awhile, and the picture above has him high pulling, or probably snatching 225 it looks like. Even if we assumed that was his max lift, snatching 225 is pretty tough and definitely translates to being able to pull 400+ off the floor most likely.

He is seen benching 225 here too, I don't think he's using maxmial weights for that either considering the whole camp focus lifting wise was explosive speed spectrum stuff, plyo and jump squats with a load, etc.

Yes you've never seen anything because GSP himself believed weightlifting was "retarded" to put it crudely when he was younger in his career. But he did do PL stuff and olympic lifting stuff later on, don't think he's the type of guy to brag about numbers or want to boost his ego with them as opposed to someone like Jones who went full powerlifter and tried to get max PRs at one point.

This part is just my speculation but I guarantee it's accurate enough: GSP could probably deadlift 500-600, squat 400+, and bench ~275-300+ within minimal time, a few months at most, on a PL program. Those might even be conservative numbers if he's free to bulk and/or use PEDs obviously which again is an open question regarding GSP.

I never understood the argument that because some guy (you in this case) can lift a certain amount of weight in the deadlift, squat or benchpress, then athlete A should be able to lift way more by the nature of being an athlete. That's just not how it works. Now, GSP is strong, and I don't doubt that he would be able to put up "respectable" numbers if he wanted to work on it, but even if he couldn't that would have no bearing on his abilites as a fighter. I know you didn't argue that it would, but I still think you're overestimating the importance of hitting specific numbers. Btw, GSP is benching 70kg in that video (red plates at 25kg + the bar) which is 154lbs.

Another common phrase is "everything else being equal, the stronger guy will win" which is not really applicable to real life. I understand the premise, and I agree that strength is important, however as it relates to powerlifting at a certain point increasing your total will not only take valuable time and energy away from other attributes, it will detract from them physiologically. Your example of a 700lbs deadlifter vs a 400lbs deadlifter being stronger on the mat, again everything else being equal, isn't very helpful. Firstly, the 700 lbs'er would primarily be stronger in specific positions, and secondly, the time investment to go from a 400lbs to a 700lbs DL is simple too much to be doable. If it would even be possible at all (most mortal men wont reach that number in a lifetime of dedicated training). A more realistic comparison would be a 400lbs DL vs a 500lbs one, and still those extra 100lbs might take a very long time to reach for the individual athlete. Would those 100lbs really matter that much on the mat?

I never understood the argument that because some guy (you in this case) can lift a certain amount of weight in the deadlift, squat or benchpress, then athlete A should be able to lift way more by the nature of being an athlete. That's just not how it works. Now, GSP is strong, and I don't doubt that he would be able to put up "respectable" numbers if he wanted to work on it, but even if he couldn't that would have no bearing on his abilites as a fighter. I know you didn't argue that it would, but I still think you're overestimating the importance of hitting specific numbers. Btw, GSP is benching 70kg in that video (red plates at 25kg + the bar) which is 154lbs.

Another common phrase is "everything else being equal, the stronger guy will win" which is not really applicable to real life. I understand the premise, and I agree that strength is important, however as it relates to powerlifting at a certain point increasing your total will not only take valuable time and energy away from other attributes, it will detract from them physiologically. Your example of a 700lbs deadlifter vs a 400lbs deadlifter being stronger on the mat, again everything else being equal, isn't very helpful. Firstly, the 700 lbs'er would primarily be stronger in specific positions, and secondly, the time investment to go from a 400lbs to a 700lbs DL is simple too much to be doable. If it would even be possible at all (most mortal men wont reach that number in a lifetime of dedicated training). A more realistic comparison would be a 400lbs DL vs a 500lbs one, and still those extra 100lbs might take a very long time to reach for the individual athlete. Would those 100lbs really matter that much on the mat?

I agree with what you're saying but I think you're picking hairs a bit.

I've heard this thrown out before and it's just an opinion or saying, but it's pretty much true: Any average male should be able to deadlift 3 plates (315) on a barbell for let's say at least 1 rep, probably 5 reps, within a short period of time training. Now...yeah I'm not saying deadlifting on a barbell conventional is super important to training BJJ or wrestling or MMA, but I do think it shows a general strength standard.

My point was more so that I have admittedly said I'm not a serious powerlifter by any means and I'm not special, I'm not an awesome lifter in the big 3 and I don't train for it. So I think the "argument" does have merit. I wouldn't necessarily frame it as an "argument" but I guess it is. I just think if "normal, average" sized and athletic men can generally pull 315-415 lbs for at least 1 rep with ~beginner levels, then GSP could easily do that. And I'm not trying to say he's mid-camp for a fight doing it either - but I think he could then too, pull 400+ it's simply not worth the CNS stress for him to max or 90-95% 1rm deadlift with a straight bar or a trap-bar probably.

Yes notthing is ever going to be perfectly equal, but strength matters. A 6'3 230 lb stud athlete who's more athletic and stronger is likely going to kill a 5'8 170 lb guy in BJJ, no-gi or even gi even if the smaller guy is slightly better skill-wise. The skill gap (no pun intended) has to be rather large. But yeah I don't think one lift equates to being stronger everywhere either, but I do think the deadlift or squat are clearly the best lifts to kind of strength with one measurement.

Another problem is if we are talking BJJ / Grappling here, the entire system puts you on the ground for a reason. To eliminate the explosiveness of the legs. So MMA or wrestling might be a better example. Either way yeah, I mean ...I know I've seen Latifi deadlift 600+ and lose a bunch of fights after, I don't put much stock into Romero deadlifitng 600+ this week + I'm sure Adensaya can't deadlift much more than 3 plates to 4 plates max for a single (and likely doesn't train it).

It's just tough to say ultimately. There's a reason football players lift, there's definitely a benefit to it for MMA too...but you touched on it. It's simply the cost of CNS stress, recovery, and energy v.s. learning a ton of skills: Wrestling, BJJ/Grappling, Boxing/striking, sparring rounds - which also heavily tax. Lifting is a smaller piece of the pie and no one's really figured it out yet tbh, the ideal training layout I'm saying.

Edit: Also the argument that (I) could lift something and GSP should be able...that was based on me being 16-18 years old, ~5'10-5'11 to 6 feet max at the time while weighing 135-150 lbs max. I was pulling 315 easily, probably 335-350 for a 1rm. I have long-ish arms but not crazy deadlifter or crazy reach type. Just for reference.

Last edited:
I agree with what you're saying but I think you're picking hairs a bit.

I've heard this thrown out before and it's just an opinion or saying, but it's pretty much true: Any average male should be able to deadlift 3 plates (315) on a barbell for let's say at least 1 rep, probably 5 reps, within a short period of time training. Now...yeah I'm not saying deadlifting on a barbell conventional is super important to training BJJ or wrestling or MMA, but I do think it shows a general strength standard.

My point was more so that I have admittedly said I'm not a serious powerlifter by any means and I'm not special, I'm not an awesome lifter in the big 3 and I don't train for it. So I think the "argument" does have merit. I wouldn't necessarily frame it as an "argument" but I guess it is. I just think if "normal, average" sized and athletic men can generally pull 315-415 lbs for at least 1 rep with ~beginner levels, then GSP could easily do that. And I'm not trying to say he's mid-camp for a fight doing it either - but I think he could then too, pull 400+ it's simply not worth the CNS stress for him to max or 90-95% 1rm deadlift with a straight bar or a trap-bar probably.

Yes notthing is ever going to be perfectly equal, but strength matters. A 6'3 230 lb stud athlete who's more athletic and stronger is likely going to kill a 5'8 170 lb guy in BJJ, no-gi or even gi even if the smaller guy is slightly better skill-wise. The skill gap (no pun intended) has to be rather large. But yeah I don't think one lift equates to being stronger everywhere either, but I do think the deadlift or squat are clearly the best lifts to kind of strength with one measurement.

Another problem is if we are talking BJJ / Grappling here, the entire system puts you on the ground for a reason. To eliminate the explosiveness of the legs. So MMA or wrestling might be a better example. Either way yeah, I mean ...I know I've seen Latifi deadlift 600+ and lose a bunch of fights after, I don't put much stock into Romero deadlifitng 600+ this week + I'm sure Adensaya can't deadlift much more than 3 plates to 4 plates max for a single (and likely doesn't train it).

It's just tough to say ultimately. There's a reason football players lift, there's definitely a benefit to it for MMA too...but you touched on it. It's simply the cost of CNS stress, recovery, and energy v.s. learning a ton of skills: Wrestling, BJJ/Grappling, Boxing/striking, sparring rounds - which also heavily tax. Lifting is a smaller piece of the pie and no one's really figured it out yet tbh, the ideal training layout I'm saying.
I don't think we're that far apart, and you're right about splitting hairs a bit. Sometimes it's just fun to reflect on these things through good faith discussions. Notice your example of the two BJJ guys. Take a 6'3, 230lbs guys who's more athletic and stronger vs a 5'8 170 lbs guy whos weaker and less athletic. Sure, with a weight, strength, size and athleticism disadvantage you're going to have a hard time. But what about two 5'8 170lbs guys with different leverages and one have a marginally higher deadlift? Or a 5'8 170lbs guy with a higher deadlift vs a 5'8 170lbs guy who's more athletic? Opens it up a bit.

Just to reiterate, I agree that compounds, and strength work in general, is something that all combat sports athletes should do for a variety reasons. Don't know that deadlifts in a vacuum is the best measurement though, or that a best measurement even exists. It depends on the positioning. In the clinch, when sprawling (although change of direction, timing and speed is more important) and during some takedowns like a high crotch or double is probably where it's most applicable. Then again you don't need to be THAT strong to lift someone up if you have the right technical leverages. For someone like Khabib who blankets you though (who's seen in a few vids struggling with relatively light weights) upper body pulling, squeezing and knee flexion (he always hooks his legs to disrupt his opponents base) is probably more important.

Just an anecdote. One of the first time I did the DL I pulled 3 plates. Yet now years laters, I am only pulling 4 plates, and I strength train a few times a week. Why? Because that's where I sit without investing more time into it. However my form and bar speed has gotten way better during the lift (progress can be measured in more than just numbers), I'm way more athletic overall (and I do attribute this to my S&C) and I have no problem lifting people up and throwing them around. This is my natural ceiling without devoting serious time to my DL.

I wrote a whole thing and it refreshed or something, oh well. It was long-winded so I'll be more succinct in this response:

Khabib. I actually think Khabib could deadlift a lot, that's his forte. All his strength is posterior chain pulling, hip hinge, etc. But you're right it's also a lot on the knee squeeze (adductors, hip flexion I think), and all the unconventional stuff like forearm strength, rotator cuff strength, neck strength, stabilizers, etc. But I do think he could pull a lot, I would bet he could pull a similar amount to what I expect GSP to pull - despite him being pedestrian at the bench press as we've seen. He doesn't need to bench press really.

I think my point was trying to be more like a stronger-bigger good purple belt could / would probably kill a smaller, weaker, hobbyist or average brown belt on the mat. But just forget the comparisons there's way too much to control and it would take a lot of words. Basically what I believe is that strength matters, for sure. We know size and strength matters. It's a question of how much any form of lifting adds to your practical strength in sport.

Anecdote part: Well yeah I'm basically right there with you. I switched to using trap-bars a long time ago and I only recently started training BJJ (and soon boxing, "mma") again. I used to train awhile ago, stopped for a long time and started up for the past few months. Prior to that I was just lifting weights pretty regularly and I feel like my "ceiling" as you put it is around the same.

Like I said I was 135-155 as a teen and early into college, I deadlifted 315-350 conventional for a max, then switched to the trap-bar deadlift and could pull 350 and progressed. Long story short, I did try to work up seriously at a point and was pulling a little over 500 lbs at ~203 lbs. But I'm with you on the ceiling thing...because that just isn't sustainable for me unless I'm focusing on deadlifting frequently and...

very recent anecdote but this week I deadlifted monday, pulled 405 for a single thinking it was sub-maximal or something, meant to go lighter did volume prior to it. Then I trained 5 classes in 5 days after it and basically trashed my body, my lats, psoas I think, entire back muscles, hips, are just all fried. So I totally understand what you mean by "ceiling" and questioning lifting. I watched a Juggernaut perodization type video and thought I could lift and train grappling 6/7 days but after doing it, yeah I'm not too sure about that one. Maybe my body isn't acciimated to the volume, sorry for the tangent but this is basically why fighters don't lift often or seriously.

I wrote a whole thing and it refreshed or something, oh well. It was long-winded so I'll be more succinct in this response:

Khabib. I actually think Khabib could deadlift a lot, that's his forte. All his strength is posterior chain pulling, hip hinge, etc. But you're right it's also a lot on the knee squeeze (adductors, hip flexion I think), and all the unconventional stuff like forearm strength, rotator cuff strength, neck strength, stabilizers, etc. But I do think he could pull a lot, I would bet he could pull a similar amount to what I expect GSP to pull - despite him being pedestrian at the bench press as we've seen. He doesn't need to bench press really.

I think my point was trying to be more like a stronger-bigger good purple belt could / would probably kill a smaller, weaker, hobbyist or average brown belt on the mat. But just forget the comparisons there's way too much to control and it would take a lot of words. Basically what I believe is that strength matters, for sure. We know size and strength matters. It's a question of how much any form of lifting adds to your practical strength in sport.

Anecdote part: Well yeah I'm basically right there with you. I switched to using trap-bars a long time ago and I only recently started training BJJ (and soon boxing, "mma") again. I used to train awhile ago, stopped for a long time and started up for the past few months. Prior to that I was just lifting weights pretty regularly and I feel like my "ceiling" as you put it is around the same.

Like I said I was 135-155 as a teen and early into college, I deadlifted 315-350 conventional for a max, then switched to the trap-bar deadlift and could pull 350 and progressed. Long story short, I did try to work up seriously at a point and was pulling a little over 500 lbs at ~203 lbs. But I'm with you on the ceiling thing...because that just isn't sustainable for me unless I'm focusing on deadlifting frequently and...

very recent anecdote but this week I deadlifted monday, pulled 405 for a single thinking it was sub-maximal or something, meant to go lighter did volume prior to it. Then I trained 5 classes in 5 days after it and basically trashed my body, my lats, psoas I think, entire back muscles, hips, are just all fried. So I totally understand what you mean by "ceiling" and questioning lifting. I watched a Juggernaut perodization type video and thought I could lift and train grappling 6/7 days but after doing it, yeah I'm not too sure about that one. Maybe my body isn't acciimated to the volume, sorry for the tangent but this is basically why fighters don't lift often or seriously.
I think your body is just not used to the volume, but it's not easy managing recovery and workload when you're training your sport several times a week. Training 6-7 days a week at moderately-high intensities will be tough to sustain for longer periods for most people, even after adapting to it. If you build the tolerance up controlling the variables you can get somewhere, but it takes more time when you have to split your energy across different disciplines.

Maybe lower the load a little bit and build up into it. Doing some lighter work (40-60% of 1RM) at high velocities might be something you'd want to play around with for a few weeks to see how it feels, before increasing the weight again. There is some correlation with 1RM strength and bar speed at given percentages, so you might still be able to improve your strength while working at lower RPE's. Either that just reduce the weight and build up the load over the next few weeks with a consistent frequency, and then when you feel comfortable just do once a week strength maintainence at high loads again while you're focusing on the BJJ.

I think your body is just not used to the volume, but it's not easy managing recovery and workload when you're training your sport several times a week. Training 6-7 days a week at moderately-high intensities will be tough to sustain for longer periods for most people, even after adapting to it. If you build the tolerance up controlling the variables you can get somewhere, but it takes more time when you have to split your energy across different disciplines.

Maybe lower the load a little bit and build up into it. Doing some lighter work (40-60% of 1RM) at high velocities might be something you'd want to play around with for a few weeks to see how it feels, before increasing the weight again. There is some correlation with 1RM strength and bar speed at given percentages, so you might still be able to improve your strength while working at lower RPE's. Either that just reduce the weight and build up the load over the next few weeks with a consistent frequency, and then when you feel comfortable just do once a week strength maintainence at high loads again while you're focusing on the BJJ.

Yeah thanks for the advice, appreciated. I think it's probably not being adapted + the fact I'm barely still in my 20s now + I probably went too much towards the high intensity side of the spectrum everyday.

Nice talking with you though

I wonder how much these movements have contributed to Herschel Walker's athleticism and strength?
Fucking lol at using one of the top two competitors (Jack Nicklaus, etc) all time in their sport as your example

Who are you going to use for your next example, Wayne Gretzky? Michael Jordan or Lebron for basketball?

Yeah, guys like that pop up all the time!

Back