Strength is specific

How many kids in HS, males...not even women here, are pulling 500+? 600? Not very many at all and most are probably roided out if they are. Otherwise they are genetic freaks. I don't think many girls in the world do that naturally, let alone in hs.
Every HS football team has a couple of guys pulling/squatting over 500. My team did and this was 20 years ago before lifting culture really hit its stride. And roiding was rare. The kids nowadays are like a different species in comparison.

The difference is even bigger for girls. Girls absolutely did not touch iron back in those days. It's only blown up with the rise of IG/Youtube, much to the chagrin of everyone waiting for a squat rack.
So yeah I mean using test/steroids is dramatically different for a female given the differences in testosterone already. So how many girls pulling big numbers are clean? We don't really know.
I would bet most of the big IPF females are natural. Jessica Buettner is a good example of a strong puller who benefits from long limbs and great technique.

There's also that epic showdown between Melo and Lawrence

She isnt even a jacked wmma fighter by todays standards, and she isnt a particularly big hitter or particularly strong wrestler.
Todays standards? In case you haven't noticed but pro fighters are a bit deflated these days- both males and females. USADA has had a dramatic effect on physiques in the UFC. I haven't seen Cyborg's latest fight to gauge her post UFC jackedness.
how much does she weigh?
Super heavy.

@dissectingaorticaneurysm well I agree with you...my main point was that the average male or even shitty athletic, slightly undersized male is going to be able to pull 3 plates if they start training with any seriousness, within a relatively short time.

I was initially arguing against the idea that TS stated, saying GSP would deadlift less than 400 lbs. I think we would both agree that is ridiculous.

Thinking back to HS, yes there were a few stud standouts who could deadlift ~500-600lbs in my HS which isn't even that big of a town/city. I also agree there, yes there are kids on the football team who will be pulling 400+, and a few specimens who will be pulling 500-600+ lbs even with a football weightlifting program, not some specialized technique / program driven PL program.

Those would be the "genetic freaks" I'm talking about, roughly.

In regards to women I believe what I said. Yes obviously there are outliers there too, like the girl you posted. I briefly looked her up and she is around 170 lbs or so probably when pulling that, impressive still obviously as she's not a super heavyweight or anything. But she's probably built to deadlift much like that Richard "ant" guy is, and Woolam is, and she specifically trains deadlifting all the time through PLing. Who knows if shes on something either, easily could be on low dose stuff...we don't know.

My original point was that VERY VERY few women are going to be out deadlifting GSP. Especially if we put GSP on the same level of routine as the girls, give him a powerlifting program. I would imagine he would pull 500+ easily, and probably should reach 600+. We also don't know if GSP would be using PEDs quite frankly either.

Lol why are you bringing up boxing and mma? Since when are those primarily a strength sport? Are you also one of those guys that thinks everyone who lifts heavy is trying to be some tough guy who can fight?

what exactly do you lift weights for?

And being more jacked is way more awesome than being less jacked. How’d I forget that one.

My original point was that VERY VERY few women are going to be out deadlifting GSP. Especially if we put GSP on the same level of routine as the girls, give him a powerlifting program. I would imagine he would pull 500+ easily, and probably should reach 600+. We also don't know if GSP would be using PEDs quite frankly either.
I don't think any woman could beat GSP at the deadlift if he trained with powerlifting in mind. He's got long gorilla arms and freakish strength. I'm a mediocre athlete and I pulled in the low 600's in my better days. That would already make him a stronger puller than every female alive other than Becca Swanson- and she was a walking pharmacy. 700's are not out of the question for GSP.

The health benefits are definitely the best part of training IMO but being strong and able to defend yourself(or family) is important to.

Training for performance provides both of those things. MMA fighters priority is peak performance therefore they train for performance and not bodybuilding. Strength training is not only viable to them but it is viable for the average citizen.

The health benefits are definitely the best part of training IMO but being strong and able to defend yourself(or family) is important to.

Training for performance provides both of those things. MMA fighters priority is peak performance therefore they train for performance and not bodybuilding. Strength training is not only viable to them but it is viable for the average citizen.

They do strength train though. It's just a small piece of the pie compared to the entire pie for say a powerlifter, strongman, or oly weightlifter.

Yeah I went to Calhoun high school in texas. There many females even 130-150 range who were squatting and deadlifting that amount but the upper body strength to bench in the 300 range was pretty much just the big girls.
Doubt it. Here's the 2019 148lb class thswpa standings. 4-400+ squats, 3-400+ deadlifts. Single ply and knee wraps are allowed. Only 1 300+ bench by a 220lb class lifter. http://www.thswpa.com/standings.aspx

Last edited:
lifting and being tough are mutually exclusive. If you do not put forth any effort when you train you won't progress it is as simple as that. The fact that you train pretty much makes you tough. compared to the majority of the population they dont train at all.

I am just at a loss of why you guys seem to be against what you call "tough guys"

you cant be a total wimp and train and make any progress so yea being mentally tough and disciplined to train and better your health/strength to me makes you a tough guy and I dont find anything wrong with that because it sure beats the alternative

lifting and being tough are mutually exclusive. If you do not put forth any effort when you train you won't progress it is as simple as that. The fact that you train pretty much makes you tough. compared to the majority of the population they dont train at all.

I am just at a loss of why you guys seem to be against what you call "tough guys"

you cant be a total wimp and train and make any progress so yea being mentally tough and disciplined to train and better your health/strength to me makes you a tough guy and I dont find anything wrong with that because it sure beats the alternative

Interesting take.

do you find any objections to the interesting take?
nah-man.gif

Heavy Lifting is for savages only, virgins can go fuck around on the machines.

Yeah I went to Calhoun high school in texas. There many females even 130-150 range who were squatting and deadlifting that amount but the upper body strength to bench in the 300 range was pretty much just the big girls.
LOL

I don't think you understand what mutually exclusive means.

Doubt it. Here's the 2019 148lb class thswpa standings. 4-400+ squats, 3-400+ deadlifts. Single ply and knee wraps are allowed. Only 1 300+ bench by a 220lb class lifter. http://www.thswpa.com/standings.aspx
Fair enough I was off a bit in how I remembered, personally using that website which was pretty cool I was able to find 4 -400+ squats at 148 lbs and below. Throw in the 165 lb class there's an additional 14 girls squatting 400 plus. This was for invitational meets

At regional meets I found 9 lifters at 148 lbs with 400+ squats and 16 additional lifters if you include 165. Lower the weight around 380/390 of course you will get several girls that are just under the 400 marker. I didn't check the deadlift numbers but I imagine the results would be similar, but probably less by about 20%.

Bench, I found 7 girls lifting 300+, so I don't know what to tell you there

Back