"Street fight"

It's for this kind of situation I keep a fold out knife and short metal bar ( think it's called a kobutan) on my key chain. I'd rather concuss someone before they stab me. Of course, where I live they'd probably vanish after stabbing me, but self defense goes beyond martial arts. You never know who has what on them. I guess it's different in America though... you're lucky you weren't shot.

Damn bro. Heal up quick. Karma will be a bitch for those fuck sticks I hope...

GCSD Fighter said:
Goes to show that all the sport grappling in the world doesn't prepare you for extreme situations.

Had to re-edit. Feel sorry you man it's not nice. But never back away. Either go in completely to destroy if all dangers are weighed up, if not get out of there. Adrenaline is muthaphucka too. Gotta learn to control that shit.

There were like 12 guys with weapons.. I dont think any self defense class could get you through something like that.Unless your superman. He was lucky.

Mirada said:
Very good point, but with my knee injured I can't run at anything even close to full speed, and I was pinned against the tree by the guy punching me. The only way I could go was forward, change my angle, and then back out towards my friends.

I forgot about your knee being injured. With that injury and you being pinned, I agree the clinch was the best thing you could do. Glad it shielded you from serious injury.

Maybe the Mexicans will think twice about stabbing people after hitting one of their own. That whole situation is just fucked up.

Take care Mirada. You are alive and that is what is important. Sucks totally no matter how bright a picture people want to make it but yeah hopefully karma will take care of those fools.

People who talk crap about this situation also face karma. So guys be careful what you say. There is no way to defend against twelve people even without knives.

When I used to read Black Belt Magazine that there was a big time seasoned martial artist who was visiting his relative in a "good neighborhood" also. Well the "kids", mostly adolescent high schoolers, were on the corner from where he was tossing eggs at people and one of the eggs hit this seasoned martial artist.

The martial artist grabs someone he "thought" threw the eggs and was immediately beset by the other high schoolers with planks of wood, pipes and punches and kicks. Now according to the reports they were not a gang and not known for fighting but they killed that seasoned martial artist right then and there. That "seasoned martial artist" died and because the "killers" were kids, only a few went to jail until they were 19.

Lets not forget that Fairtex muay thai champion who was shot and killed a year or so ago.

No martial arts can defeat numbers, sneak attacks, and weapons with all other mentioned.

We just do the best we can in this world and hope for the best lives possible.

Mirada said:
I didn't even see the knife. No defense program in the world could have helped me.

exactly

the best solution is to avoid street fights
even if you with your friends

if you check some old posts you will see that similar things happened to genki sudo and wallid ismael

at least you have a chance to learn from the experience while most people dont have such chance

well take care

I hope you get better real soon, Mirada.

No amount of JJ, kickboxing, MMA training, can fight off that many numbers.

Sounds like a good reason to get a conceald weapons permit or take up track. ;)

yeah clinching is good and helps cus u got a shield...but i prefer to circle away, to hit and run..keep sticking and moving...

try to stay off the ground and keep moving, the rule of the street are as such; don't ever go down and don't ever get cornered... i been jumped and seen people get jumped, when one of those two things happen..an both of them are bad.

secondly in streetfights nowadays weapons come into play more often, people pick up bats..screwdrivers
...bottles...razors...anything they can use to hurt u; skills help but won't make up for the damage and danger of a weapon. Not to mention how it is when someone is determined to fight you or kill u.

skills won't help u win necessarily..but they can help u survive.

The best thing to do would have been to tuck your pride into your pocket & not get into the fight in the first place. Having said that - I'd probably be as guilty as any of you for not taking shit from someone.

Those of us here have skills - but they are based on rules & the "real world' does not abide by them. The trouble is we sometimes believe we are "superior" to the average bloke on the street because of our MA training & think we are "safer" as well. Regrettably probably the opposite is true.

I guess the next time you read a thread or answer a student on "Using BJJ in a street fight" your real life perspective will let you give the answer "Dont get in a street fight in the first place".

Glad to hear there was no serious damage, mate. Say a prayer to whatever deity you pray to because someone damn sure had your back....

Mirada said:
I wouldn't call it a fight, but we were on the sidewalk, which is pretty close to a street in most areas.

An altercation flames up out of nowhere, and before we know it, myself and 5 of my buddies from my jiujitsu academy are backing cautiously away from a group of 12+ hispanic fellows.

As I back away trying to keep an eye on everyone, I run right into a fucking TREE. clock my head pretty good and realize instantly that I am completely fucked. A guy dives in from my left and socks me good in the eye, got a nice shiner now, and I react instantly, bum rushing the nearest guy in front of me. I clinch up tight to protect my face from more punches, and drag him back with me, I can feel people hitting the top and back of my head but it doesn't matter.

A few seconds later I shove the guy away from me and break free of the melee. My friends have also broken away, and one suffered a nasty cut under his eye from a punch.

We retreat a few blocks and I notice my side is drenched, probably beer from the cans they chucked at us (which is what started this whole mess) I thought. Then I looked at my hand and it was covered in blood. I lift up my shirt and reveal much to my surprise:

I had been fucking stabbed. Right over my liver, actually.

So during my visit to the ER I learn that they also shanked me in the right thigh, and after extensive testing, x-rays, ultrasounds, cat-scans, it turns out I am a-ok. The knife didn't get through my abdominal muscles, and no organs were damaged. The muscle in my thigh was pretty well fucked up though. Anyway a few stitches later I get released, and told to take it easy and "eat lots of protein."

Interestingly, while I was in there a mexican dude came in with, guess what, a stab wound. When aksed by the nurses where this happened he replied with what was an obvious stuttering lie. My friend broke in, saying "Are you sure it wasn't [street we were on]?" and the guy freaked, so he was obviously involved, his buddies must have stabbed him by accident. I'm betting it was the guy I clinched.

Some thoughts:

-This was a nice neighborhood, about 2 blocks from downtown. Fucked up.
-Jiujitsu is great, but the surprise knife attack is superior.
-I have jiujitsu to thank for the musculature that probably saved my life, or at least kept me out of surgery. Those hanging situps pay off.
-If I hadn't clinched that guy, the knife that hit him would have hit me, and god knows where. Without him as a human shield they would have had an open look at my chest, and could easily have got me in the heart or lungs.
-Don't be a fool, stay in school.

That sucks Mirada but you seem to have a good attitude. When do you think you will go back to training?

good thing you didn't end up in that big jiu jitsu school in the sky. get better, we like having you around

Mirada, glad that you are ok. a knife is pretty serious shit, but just be thankful that you didn't fall into the lava pit.

MTJJ_PuMpED said:
There were like 12 guys with weapons.. I dont think any self defense class could get you through something like that.Unless your superman. He was lucky.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Mirada I wish you nothing but the best. Anymore in my neighborhood you have to walk around with a kevlar bodysuit. I feel you there man. It seems that a lot of the thugs around here are cowards that have to have a party of ten with them to fight someone.

judogido said:
Regrettably probably the opposite is true.

You're probably right. Staying in shape, learning techniques, etc, is hard work. Someone who works hard naturally has this sense of fair play and sportsmanship. As we can see, however, not everyone shares those kinds of values...

Corey123 said:
That sucks Mirada but you seem to have a good attitude. When do you think you will go back to training?

Soon as my knee is better I'll be back on the mats with a vengeance.

jjmuaythaiguy said:
Now according to the reports they were not a gang.

Ohhh speaking of gangs, I am fucking pissed off at the cops right now.

The incident was on the news today, and it was described as "gang violence" as in, between two gangs.

So apparently I'm a fucking gang banger now. With my luck it'll be on CNN tonight: "Jiujitsu fight gangs sweep California"

glad you weren't seriously hurt... but it's a good example of how the clinch can be a good thing in an outnumbered situation like that... I was outnumbered at a bar once and just grabbed on the nearest guy to me, tucked my chin in his chest (in a hetero way) and just weathered the storm from his buddies doing what you did: using him as a shield.. funny part was at one point, the guy got extremly heavy and we fell to the ground, turns out his buddies were hitting him in the back of the head to get to me and knocked him out!!

at any rate, sad to hear about a simple altercation like that resorting to knifes...

heal up.

Back