"Street fight"

Brazilian HKD said:
Not really

actually if it was here they would be stabbed to death with machetes, or kidnapped and cut limb by limb

and not i am not exagerrating

some cases in what happened with martial artists, bjj guys included

one took a shot to the body and died in a beach

other tried to foght against 5 guys and barely survived

another tried to fight a gang and he died stoned

another tried to react to a robbery, he did stop the thief but he couldn't stop his partner to shot him in the head

it could happen in almost every part of the world and these things happened with some professional fighters too

Holly shit... Is Brazil really that bad? I was thinking of going there for a vacation, but it seems like I'll get chopped up and served for breakfast by the local gangs.

All in all I'm glad Mirada is still alive. This story definetley put self defense in perspective for me.... You have to be sleek when you're on the street.... Fair fighting just doesn't go it seems.

I'm glad to hear you weren't seriously injured and no internal organs were damaged or anything. I wish you a speedy recovery.

flamenco diablo said:
Holly shit... Is Brazil really that bad? I was thinking of going there for a vacation, but it seems like I'll get chopped up and served for breakfast by the local gangs.

All in all I'm glad Mirada is still alive. This story definetley put self defense in perspective for me.... You have to be sleek when you're on the street.... Fair fighting just doesn't go it seems.

I think what he is trying to say is take all the 'and he choked out and entire gang, saved the city, and developed a cure for the common cold' stories from the 'streets of Brazil' with a grain of salt...

Brazil, from what I have heard, is a fine place to vacation.

Mirada said:
San fran is more like central cali.

I'd rather not say what town.

lol central cali??? pretty north to me....fresno, is central cali

sorry abt the altercation and knife wounds bro....you gotta practice your flying armbars more....yep....the only way to deter gangs of ppl.

aaron_mag said:
I think what he is trying to say is take all the 'and he choked out and entire gang, saved the city, and developed a cure for the common cold' stories from the 'streets of Brazil' with a grain of salt...

Brazil, from what I have heard, is a fine place to vacation.

exactly, that was my point

brazil is dangerous in some cities

but it really depends, because it's a huge country like the USA, so depending of the area it can be peaceful or not

i am pretty sure that some urban areas in US have some similar stories (mobs and stuff)

i used to work in a youth hostel so i know that the chances of seeing violence as a tourist are rare if you are wise (use money belts, dont go alone in the dark in unkwon places, basci stuff)
locals are kidnapped, not tourists
and the street fights... again, never enter a streetfight, in brazil, or any country of the world you could have entered a knife fighting contest without any advice

I know many of you have a negative attitude towards Aikido but that is a martial art that would have served you the best in that situation, seriously. If you go to a good Aikido school that practices multiple person randori frequently they learn how to deal with this type of situation. But it has to be good school, not one of the spiritual mumbo jumbo schools.

And I don't mean to tell you that you would be able to throw all the people and put locks on them, real Aikido randori trains you to move from position to position (just like BJJ) to avoid attacks and to escape the situation.

Grappling is almost useless in that situation. Jiu Jitsu is great but has its limitations so just training more in BJJ would not have helped you much here. If anyone is serious about self defens,e Aikido should be part of your training in addition to grappling and striking.

So sorry to hear that, sounds like a really bad situation that you handled as best as you possibly could. I have had two close calls this past few months walking home from judo, one the guy 2 minutes before I got there got jumped and beaten and robbed by 5 guys, right where I was walking to. Any sooner and it would ahve been me. Then last night some guy came after me when I was walking home alone in the dark and I almost beat him in the face with the large rock I was carrying (I usually have a long maglite). I have two messed up knees now too, same as you. Ligament damage int he left and a huge swollen bruise on the right, so I am not that great at running at the moment.

Hope you get better soon.

Ude_Garami said:
I know many of you have a negative attitude towards Aikido but that is a martial art that would have served you the best in that situation, seriously. If you go to a good Aikido school that practices multiple person randori frequently they learn how to deal with this type of situation. But it has to be good school, not one of the spiritual mumbo jumbo schools.

And I don't mean to tell you that you would be able to throw all the people and put locks on them, real Aikido randori trains you to move from position to position (just like BJJ) to avoid attacks and to escape the situation.

Grappling is almost useless in that situation. Jiu Jitsu is great but has its limitations so just training more in BJJ would not have helped you much here. If anyone is serious about self defens,e Aikido should be part of your training in addition to grappling and striking.

That's fucking hilarious man.

Ude_Garami said:

*looks around and surprised that this post isn't in Newbietown*

Ude_Garami said:

you should try a good Ninja school they teach you how to vanish...

ARIS said:
you should try a good Ninja school they teach you how to vanish...

I hear Sensei Dudikoff is awesome.

NINJA-box_hires_vhs.jpg

CuseMMA said:
I hear Sensei Dudikoff is awesome.

NINJA-box_hires_vhs.jpg

And you know what they say... "ONLY A NINJA CAN KILL A NINJA" :icon_twis

*thows down smoke bomb and ninja-vanishes from thread*

CuseMMA said:
*thows down smoke bomb and ninja-vanishes from thread*

sud"d"enly he re-apears over you and chops off your head.

ARIS said:
sudenly he re-apears over you and chops off your head.

I revoke your ninja status not only for not being able to spell suddenly correctly but lacking the action *'s around your text. A ninja you are not.

*flies over treetops*

CuseMMA said:
I revoke your ninja status not only for not being able to spell suddenly correctly but lacking the action *'s around your text. A ninja you are not.

*flies over treetops*

Underneath my bjj kimono im hiding the vanishing bombs :wink: my status is secret ninja :D

Us for the "d" i used one of my vanishing moves... if you look carefully you see it's there... :wink:

real Aikido randori trains you to move from position to position (just like BJJ) to avoid attacks and to escape the situation

I know of three Aikido schools that do not have any form of randori because "what we do is so damaging if we went full speed there wouldn't be much of a club, would there?" I wasn't even aware Aikido had randori.

Yes some Aikido schools do randori with multiple attackers. You learn to keep moving and avoid their attacks by putting yourself in a better position. It is not as ridiculous as you think. My Aikido instructor never pretended you would be able to throw and immobilze groups of people, but you could train to avoid things like being stabbed and getting yourself to a safer place if possible. I think grappling is great and should be a priority in training due to the live sparring and strength it builds but arts like Aikido, when trained right, do have some things to offer.

Every art has weaknesses and this scenerio shows the vulnerability of grappling.

Back