Spencer Fisher regrets UFC career...

He should’ve got the decision against Stout. What a robbery that was. Beating someone’s ass and getting an empty takedown at the end of a round.

I’m guessing he’s broke. His body is broken, he’s sore every day and he didn’t get to watch his kids grow up because he was always training and fighting and maybe his marriage dissolved.

He just never made it to the Top 5 but I feel like a top 10 or fringe top 10 fighter should have a better life than that.

On the other hand I wouldn’t wish my boring life as a mortgage advisor and father on him.

Problem is that, MMA training is boring as hell. I mean the fight day and all is exciting but that's like 1 percent of it. Fight camp is 12 weeks, that's like 90 days. One week to cut weight and rest. Total is 97 days and one or two days of it you get to be a star. Then show ends and you go back to the mundane existence.

I wouldn't advise anyone to seek a career in fighting. Your odds of making set for life money are very slim and when you're done you'll be looking to try to get gainful employment with no relevant resume for the vast majority of jobs out there. That's just reality.

Big fan of his back in the day.

Its a hard life, constant training, weight cutting & the sparring/ fighting puts a huge toil on your body. plus sadly very few are going to breakthrough & make the kind of money needed for a comfortable life after your mma career is over. I fear we're only going to hear a lot more of these type of stories.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is a shining example of a nonmusician talking about something they know nothing about.

Lmao okay nerd. I've been a musician for 15 years. Know many people who supplement their income from tours, lessons, session work, audio engineering etc. Please stfu you dumb poor bitch.

I wouldn't advise anyone to seek a career in fighting. Your odds of making set for life money are very slim and when you're done you'll be looking to try to get gainful employment with no relevant resume for the vast majority of jobs out there. That's just reality.

The way you wrote it is scary as fuck!

I thank god everyday I got in to the online marketing. Being a banged up, weathered out, worn out Ex fighter is just a scary image. Like people say to him to teach but many fighters suck at teaching and teaching is a skill. Some martial arts teachers have never fought but have healthy bodies and can demonstrate the techniques without any problem.

There was a guy named Chris Pizzo, he was a judo guy who became a martial arts online marketer and became a millionaire because of it. He had a L.T X persona and was entertaining in sales letter and he capitalized on the wave of MMA popularity in mid-2000s. Funny story is, he was a orange belt fraud when he started promoting himself as an unknown MMA/Judo badass but then, he made so much money that he trained with the best judokas and did become legit.

That's a better story than being an actual fighter. In fact its like a fun comedy story that would make a good movie. Now he teaches legit judo and grappling and is not banged up while just as charismatic and light hearted as well as redeeming himself. Crazy how life works...

I was on a nostalgic MMA/UFC kick and saw this documentary about spencer fisher when he was in the UFC:

In the comment section he thanks everyone and regrets his choice of choosing UFC/MMA as a career path.

Forgot all about this guy.

Dumbest comment I've seen is some time. Didn't Diaz make $3 million for the 2nd Conor fight. Speaking of Conor he's the champ of nothing & I guarantee he'll make a load of $$$$$ his next fight. I don't remember Fabre having a UFC title & I think he made around $340,000 last Saturday,
Sure, but not everyone has the personality of Conor. And Diaz is only making money because he fought Conor. Faber was the best 145er in the world as well, he just wasn't a UFC Champ because the UFC didn't have FW.

Most UFC fighters make jack shit. Some get paid like $15K-$30K to show. Sure making 100-200K a year sounds like a lot, but how long do UFC fighters fight? They get busted up and obtain brain damage, just to make good money for a few years. I imagine most fighters that make it to the UFC are only in for 2-5 years and get cut. Then what do they do? Fight for shit money elsewhere? Go back to working a normal job?

It's really not worth the brain damage.

Dumbest comment I've seen is some time. Didn't Diaz make $3 million for the 2nd Conor fight. Speaking of Conor he's the champ of nothing & I guarantee he'll make a load of $$$$$ his next fight. I don't remember Fabre having a UFC title & I think he made around $340,000 last Saturday,

U just named 3 big name guys... Lololololol is Spencer fisher remotely close as known as either?

That was back when Xyience was the drink to have, you know guys? We were all sippin that back then, in our America colored TapOut t-shirts and our boot cut faded jeans with sandles and no socks. We were watching UFC 'til the sun came up. Those were the days, the late 2000s...

Fisher gave some great fights. His fights with Stout were legendary.

MMA is not a great path for life long decisions. Most end up with a broke body and a broke bank account.

I’m guessing he’s broke. His body is broken, he’s sore every day and he didn’t get to watch his kids grow up because he was always training and fighting and maybe his marriage dissolved.

He just never made it to the Top 5 but I feel like a top 10 or fringe top 10 fighter should have a better life than that.

On the other hand I wouldn’t wish my boring life as a mortgage advisor and father on him.
I don't have the rankings in front of me but Spencer was definitely top 5. He was fighting at the wrong time and at the wrong weight class. During a good part of his prime the UFC didn't have any divisions below 170

Yeah, no shit.

This is why I can't stand all the retarded 'motivational' speeches from people like Rogan who tell everyone to just blindly follow their dream, when they're in conversation with other people in the less than 1% that are actually successful in doing so. Fighting in particular, above nearly all other fields, is the most ridiculous to choose as a career path. You are guaranteed brain damage and even in the best case scenario, you are going to take home a fraction of what your employer will. You're a whore and the promoter/organization are pimping you out. Fighters are circus clowns that are there to entertain crowds of mostly drunken morons, while only a small percentage actually understand what's happening and appreciate the skill being displayed.

If you're going to fight, do it because you literally cannot live without it. Unless you actually can't tolerate the idea of a life without that sort of competition, you're a fool to fight professionally. The guys who say they do it for their families are lying to themselves. There are better, more secure jobs out there that take a fraction of the training and financial investment. They won't leave you prone to impulsive behavior, violence and depression later in life either.

U just named 3 big name guys... Lololololol is Spencer fisher remotely close as known as either?
Gus, Smith, Santos, I can go on all day of guys that aren't champs making great money in mma

You sound like a really good dad

Fake news headline. He doesn't regret the UFC, he regrets the career choice/not being successful.

Its like saying 'Oh man, I should have been a doctor or an astronaut instead of what Im doing'. Typical regret and borderline delusion not atypical of guys his age.

It may not make him feel any better, but I don't regret his UFC career. Spencer was a really exciting fighter that made people want to watch. Guys like him helped bring more eyes to MMA. I get pretty nostalgic for his era.

Back