Spencer Fisher regrets UFC career...

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I was on a nostalgic MMA/UFC kick and saw this documentary about spencer fisher when he was in the UFC:

In the comment section he thanks everyone and regrets his choice of choosing UFC/MMA as a career path.

Thanks guy's this was 9 year's ago and so much has changed. My kid's are growing up and I wish I had chosen a different career or something maybe it choose me either way fighting wasn't the best choice

Shits real. Pro athlete in a fringe sport is rough. It’s like being an artist or writer or musician. The top .01% are so glorified that everyone thinks they can get a nice piece of the pie when in reality. Most reach middle age without the skills or money to live comfortably

Pursuing MMA is pretty silly. Unless you're a champ, you make dogshit money.

Shits real. Pro athlete in a fringe sport is rough. It’s like being an artist or writer or musician. The top .01% are so glorified that everyone thinks they can get a nice piece of the pie when in reality. Most reach middle age without the skills or money to live comfortably

Musicians can easily make an acceptable life, most just try to become stars instead of supplementing their income and working with other avenues besides shows.

Fighting in general, knowing boxers who made 40/40 or more and coming home with 60% after a foreign country taxed them and then taxes on top of that for earned, not to mention bills and health insurance... Fighting isn't great.

9An60Fi.gif

I was on a nostalgic MMA/UFC kick and saw this documentary about spencer fisher when he was in the UFC:

In the comment section he thanks everyone and regrets his choice of choosing UFC/MMA as a career path.
throughout the whole documentary all he seemed worried about was bagging a deer and felt worn out and it just pretty much focused on his second fight with Stout, loss to Edger, and finished with his fight with Jeremy Stephens. If he was already feeling burntout at that point the following four years would would've been hell no wonder he has regrets.

This is true for most fighters. Unless you make it to the top, you end up making less money than a regular career and do permanent damage to your body. I'm sure he wishes he had been advancing in a career in his prime years instead of fighting.

Doesn't give much detail
Would be interesting to know why

People are jumping to money but it could be his health, it could be all the time he spent away from his family, it could be the combination of it all

{<shrug}

Quadruple yellow cards for unnecessary apostrophes.

Doesn't give much detail

People are jumping to money but it could be his health, it could be all the time he spent away from his family, it could be the combination of it all

{<shrug}

I’m guessing he’s broke. His body is broken, he’s sore every day and he didn’t get to watch his kids grow up because he was always training and fighting and maybe his marriage dissolved.

He just never made it to the Top 5 but I feel like a top 10 or fringe top 10 fighter should have a better life than that.

On the other hand I wouldn’t wish my boring life as a mortgage advisor and father on him.

that's too bad he was a really good fighter and I remember always looking forward to his matches. I know we can't go back and repay these guys, but it would be nice if they had some kind of retired fighters pension/insurance.

Musicians can easily make an acceptable life, most just try to become stars instead of supplementing their income and working with other avenues besides shows.
Ladies and gentlemen, this is a shining example of a nonmusician talking about something they know nothing about.

Dumbest comment I've seen is some time. Didn't Diaz make $3 million for the 2nd Conor fight. Speaking of Conor he's the champ of nothing & I guarantee he'll make a load of $$$$$ his next fight. I don't remember Fabre having a UFC title & I think he made around $340,000 last Saturday,

when Spencer was fighting, homies were making even less than they do now. Some folks were getting 2k to show ( iirc), that's like half a months salary for alot of non fighting folk.

Sure, UFC COULD pay everyone more, but i think they'd be happier keeping it for themselves. But, now with more organizations trying to get into the business, it should give fighters more power.

That's not a king size bed.

That is true, too bad the king did not get a king size purse for his wars with Sam Stout. Better just stick with the jab than risk a war for peanuts.

Well I don't know if champs in that era of MMA would make good money. Musician is good because you don't get banged up and risk getting injured. That and the perks of a musician is a plethora of hot chicks and the perks of being an MMA fighter is local bar idiots wanting to prove themselves to you.

Fighting in general, knowing boxers who made 40/40 or more and coming home with 60% after a foreign country taxed them and then taxes on top of that for earned, not to mention bills and health insurance... Fighting isn't great.

With boxing, boxers don't have an INSANE amount of gym fees. MMA gyms are expensive as hell and I assume fighters need private session and so that's going to be added to their expense. That and boxers risk head trauma but if they have a burning desire and patience to learn defense they have an opportunity to negate that. Of course lots of them just want to brawl in sparring but in MMA, no matter how careful you are, the grappling and thai boxing aspect is just too much of a grind on the human body.

throughout the whole documentary all he seemed worried about was bagging a deer and felt worn out and it just pretty much focused on his second fight with Stout, loss to Edger, and finished with his fight with Jeremy Stephens. If he was already feeling burntout at that point the following four years would would've been hell no wonder he has regrets.

I would imagine the whole, win bonus can stress you out further.

This is true for most fighters. Unless you make it to the top, you end up making less money than a regular career and do permanent damage to your body. I'm sure he wishes he had been advancing in a career in his prime years instead of fighting.

Fighting in MMA takes away lots of your capability. Knee problems, shoulder problems from hard grappling and Thai Boxing can effect you big time. That and this dude is from the old school era of training. I assume it would be shitty to see how safety protocols are making you better and healthier fighter while he ended up with the shitty primitive training era.

Doesn't give much detail

{<shrug}

He went through some serious wars. That and he came from a very hard and rough gym because I believe he was training with Militch fighting system. Him being a striker meant he had to spar everyone and this was during the time you sparred hard with big guys regardless of your size.

You gotta develop a character and get some minor fame and capitalize on it.

Don't get in MMA unless u have a promotable angle that sells shit.

Honestly why would anybody do this today? It's an idiotic idea to start an MMA "career".

I think he wanted to be a pro fisherman, and as a very keen fisher myself its the most relaxing and stress-free lifestyle one can have

Back