• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Soprano's final

During the final season it is mentioned a couple of times (once by Silvio and can't remember who else) that everything fades to black you you die.

*****HEAVY SPOILERS*******

Now that is out of the way, THE ENDING FUCKING SUCKED!

Surely I cant be the only one to think this, it was just such a huge let down! No definitive what happened just Meadow walking in and bam black. I have read the "fan theories" that the guy with the jacket walking to the bathroom apparently is meant to of whacked Tony but I do not agree with this, here is why

- It was a packed small narrow restaurant, only one entry and exit, full people who would get a real good look at the shooter
- The guy in the jacket walks in and orders a drink, if he was there simply kill Tony he should of walked in shot and left
- There was no get away car outside. Meadow was doing some fantastic driving trying 3-4 times to parallel park and we got a clear look at the street, nothing suss going on there
- The guy in the jacket was shown to be straight up staring at Tony, if you are trying to slyly kill a guy dont fucking stare him down
- It was meant to be a revenge killing for Phil. Phil's own captains green lit the hit and the new head of the family little Carmine ok'd it. This literally just does not make sense.

I have read other theories but this is the one that is generally accepted.

Also the whole FBI saga of them building a RICO case was a complete waste of time. There was literally hours of film setting up all the pieces for a big RICO charge to be brought down on everyone. None of that even happened, so what the hell was the point of building it up and having the whole Ade story arc?

I was sitting at a solid 8/10 coming into the final ep afterwards couldnt give it higher than a 6. I read some other comments around that even the actor that played Tony didnt even like the ending!

I thought about it and honestly, any ending would have pissed certain people off. The end of any great series is hard on people and there would be backlash no matter how they concluded it imo.

That guy whacks Tony. He goes to the washroom and comes out and shoots Tony. The significance of meadow parking, is, if she parked it right the first time, she would have been in the restaurant and seated leaving the gunman without a clear path and most likely abandoning the hit. As meadow comes in, that’s the last thing Tony sees.

Patsy is a pretty underrated character.
Did you know the actor is also a top math teacher ?

What he says to Tony's girlfiriend who sells Mercedes is gold.

'And they'll be scraping your nipples of these fine leather seats.'

I thought season 3 and 5 were the best. The ending was stupid yes

Creator of the show let slip he died in an interview.
Themes of bad things happen in 3's also lead it up to Tony getting whacked.
Then he shouldve showed it.

Probably the biggest disappointment and cowardly decision seen in tv show history.

It purposely ambiguous to let the viewer decide for themselves. Members only jacket is concept shown in the series, as is Bobby B's comments on the lake about "in our line of business, you probably dont even hear it coming" -- followed by the fad to black. As others mentioned. Meadows parking delaying her being seated in the pathway of the gunman.

However...

The members jacket guy had a knockoff version (no logo) so that could just mean its a guy who likes jacket as a hitman probably could afford. and chose to wear the real brand. Journey's "dont stop belivin' was playing on the jukebox possibly alluding to Tony's timeline continuing and Meadows terrible driving skills are mentioned several times throughout the season -- theres even an episode where she pulls up to pick up AJ and her mustang is dented and scratched all over.

I always thought they should have gotten a russian / slavic looking guy to be the members only guy. Give a little head nod to the open ended history between Soprano and Valery / Slavas relationship / events.

- It was a packed small narrow restaurant, only one entry and exit, full people who would get a real good look at the shooter
- The guy in the jacket walks in and orders a drink, if he was there simply kill Tony he should of walked in shot and left
- There was no get away car outside. Meadow was doing some fantastic driving trying 3-4 times to parallel park and we got a clear look at the street, nothing suss going on there
- The guy in the jacket was shown to be straight up staring at Tony, if you are trying to slyly kill a guy dont fucking stare him down
- It was meant to be a revenge killing for Phil. Phil's own captains green lit the hit and the new head of the family little Carmine ok'd it. This literally just does not make sense.

1. Getting a good look at the shooter doesn't matter if they aren't from that country. Using people from outside of the country was already shown to be a common thing.
2. Killing Tony in front of his family was to send a message.
3. I just rewatched the scene and saw 6 cars parked outside. Are you telling me none of these could have been the get away car?
4. I agree but IMO this was to make it clear to the viewer what was going on more than anything. It's the one and only flaw and frankly doesn't matter because Tony wasn't going to outgun both men
5. They all ok'd it because things were getting out of control. They used Tony to get rid of a problem and then made an example out of him to make it clear you can't kill a boss.

Yeah to me it's clear they want us to think the members only jacket guy kills him. He's a non character and it pans to him a couple of times when he's sitting down and looking around.
The talk about things going black or dark when you die in an earlier episode that season, and the first episode of the final season is called Members Only

If the last season and finale weren't so damn boring then the ending wouldn't be as poorly received. But they were so the ending sucked.

1. Getting a good look at the shooter doesn't matter if they aren't from that country. Using people from outside of the country was already shown to be a common thing.
2. Killing Tony in front of his family was to send a message.
3. I just rewatched the scene and saw 6 cars parked outside. Are you telling me none of these could have been the get away car?
4. I agree but IMO this was to make it clear to the viewer what was going on more than anything. It's the one and only flaw and frankly doesn't matter because Tony wasn't going to outgun both men
5. They all ok'd it because things were getting out of control. They used Tony to get rid of a problem and then made an example out of him to make it clear you can't kill a boss.

Thanks for countering some of my points, I dont agree with them all though;

1. When the Italians were used for the 2 hits (think it was only 2), they always did it in a quiet street and at night with no people around. The chances of getting a flight straight away is not great and getting caught at the airport would be a big risk.
2. Fair enough
3. All 6 cars were parallel parked, making a quick get away very difficult. I personally dont see them as the get away car
4. Yep this one is weird but its obviously put in there to build the questions that will never get answered.
5. By this logic though a boss is still getting killed, I might of been able to swallow the theory if it wasnt a revenge for Phil but a revenge for the Russains who Paulie and Chris killed (that story line just straight fizzled out with no end also).

Regardless you raise fair theories to my points. I still think its a shit way to end a good show, I liked the writers direction for the entire show so I trusted in him to end it in a good place not jsut leave it open ended. Kind of annoying.

I thought about it and honestly, any ending would have pissed certain people off. The end of any great series is hard on people and there would be backlash no matter how they concluded it imo.
But if he at least showed an ending it wouldnt just be fan theory it would be the end, no debates. Then its a like it or lump it situation instead of a what if situation.

You not getting answers is the spirit of that scene
It's irrelevant who, how, why
Tony walked his whole life the path that got him there

But if he at least showed an ending it wouldnt just be fan theory it would be the end, no debates. Then its a like it or lump it situation instead of a what if situation.

Maybe they wanted a what if to leave it open for a possible movie or something. Unfortunately that'll never ever happen....unless they kill off Tony.

Maybe they wanted a what if to leave it open for a possible movie or something. Unfortunately that'll never ever happen....unless they kill off Tony.
I think this is the correct answer. When James died IRL it kind of fucked everything up so they just left it as is.

He was obviously killed when the episode went black. I don't understand why anyone argues against this.

He should've been arrested and sent to Oz.
hqdefault.jpg

He was obviously killed when the episode went black. I don't understand why anyone argues against this.

He should've been arrested and sent to Oz.
hqdefault.jpg
If it was so obvious then fucking show it. Then there wouldnt be a debate.

Back