Soprano's final

it is what it is.

it's the end of us following tony .

I wanted to see a resolution but being honest thinking about Tony getting blown up right here and Carm, Dow, Jay getting Gallagherd sounds terrible also the slow crunching process of Tony getting squeezed and tempted by the govt to flip and what would happen to the family with Tony in prison and SYL out that's another fucking series.

it's an ending and at least it ended well consider what happened to the game that shall not be mentioned
Yeah him getting wacked in front of his family would have been a horrible ending. I'd still be traumatised.

I kind of liked it.
A distinct ending death scene would have been nice, but as it was it was a nice "life goes on -maybe" ending.
Better by far than a cliffhanger-ending waiting for a next season that will never come -like so many shows.

Last edited:
Chase said before that in real life plot lines don't always wrap and sometimes you never find out what happened. I think he was discussing The Pine Barrens and us never finding out what happened to the interior decorator who killed 16 Czechoslovakians. The foreshadowing strongly suggested that Tony got whacked, but maybe Chase kept it open for a future movie deal that can now never happen. Still the greatest series ever.
Yeah he wanted us to keep guessing till he slipped up in an interview and called it the death scene.

Yeah he wanted us to keep guessing till he slipped up in an interview and called it the death scene.
I read that he took that back an corrected himself and he said that was a plan for an ending between him and johnny Sac?

I could be wrong, there is a fair bit of conflicting info out there regarding it.

I read that he took that back an corrected himself and he said that was a plan for an ending between him and johnny Sac?

I could be wrong, there is a fair bit of conflicting info out there regarding it.
I'm a bit fuzzy about it too, but it was interview he did 2 years ago I think.

I only watched a handful of episodes. I got a hankering for onion rings, though. I went to Salem's right after. Most of the locations are sketchy, but they are open til' 5 am.

I stopped watching 2 episodes in to s6. don’t want to end on a shitty note

I love the ending, because it was left open for us to interpret.
Tony gets killed, or we the viewer get killed, or nothing happens and it abruptly ends like a book with no more story left to tell.

I see it as Tony’s death, him getting shot in front of his family. Too many signs during the series point towards that. Like when Tony said people like him either end up in the can or dead, or all those dreams/nightmares having themes of death or all those conversations he had with characters about dying. Finally there’s karma, what comes around goes around, and Tony eventually got his.

Last edited:
I only watched a handful of episodes. I got a hankering for onion rings, though. I went to Salem's right after. Most of the locations are sketchy, but they are open til' 5 am.
Not prosciutto?

Seriously?

Can I asked why?
I binge watched the show so it's different from the people who had years of build up but. I thought Tony dying was the only outcome. Until I hopped on the internet and saw how much discussion there was about whether he got whacked or not.

There a clues to that he got assassinated by the guy in the member's only jacket.

https://sopranos.fandom.com/wiki/Man_in_Members_Only_jacket

sopranos-finale-members-only-jacket.jpg

• In the episode "Members Only", Vito Spatafore makes fun of Eugene Pontecorvo for wearing a jacket with the logo Members Only on it. Eugene does not answer and gives Vito a secretive and intense look. This may have been a clue to convey to the audience that he was part of another secret and unmentioned gang, that the man that allegedly shot Tony wearing a similar jacket may have been a part of, as a revenge against Tony for refusing Eugene to get his relocating wish fulfilled and ultimately committing suicide.
    • The previous episode (The Blue Comet) contains a flashback to a scene from Soprano Home Movies in which David Chase sets up a pattern of point of view shots where we see a shot of Tony, then his point of view of someone walking into the restaurant when the bell on the door rings, and then the reaction shot. Following this pattern, we hear the bell ring as Meadow opens the door, we get the shot of Tony, then right when we should see Meadow walking in from Tony's point of view, we get black nothingness.
    • Had Meadow not experienced trouble parallel parking her car, she would have been in the restaurant seated beside her dad Tony (opposite AJ), thus blocking the hitman's shot.
    • The screen abruptly cuts to black and all sound mutes as opposed to the fade in most other episodes that keeps the soundtrack running (which goes hand in hand with the above-mentioned discussion).
    • The person staring at Tony Soprano and walking to the bathroom is significant enough to be credited, with a special mention to his "Members Only" jacket. "Members Only" is the episode in which Tony got shot, and is a reference to being in the mob, as well as to Eugene in "Members Only" who kills himself when Tony won't let him move his family to Florida. The "Members Only" man simply can be seen to represent everyone Tony has wronged throughout his life. He is also the only patron we see walking into the diner before we get Tony's point of view of him walking into the diner followed by AJ.
    • A hitman walking into a bathroom to retrieve his weapon is reminiscent of a famous scene from The Godfather, in which Michael Corleone does so before murdering a rival and a police captain.
    • It's the only time in the series Tony is seen peeling an orange, an obvious reference to The Godfather movies where oranges are closely associated with an approaching death or being shot.
    • The scene has been edited in a way that builds up tension, which naturally leads the audience on to believe something momentous is going to happen (which may or may not be the case).
    • Many of the patrons in the diner represent an event from previous episodes that involved killing someone.
    • Tony Soprano often spoke, in Soprano Home Movies, For All Debts Public and Private, and The Happy Wanderer, of the fact that there are only two ways out for a boss. Dead or in Jail. We saw Johnny Sack, another boss, go the route going to jail. We also saw Little Carmine Lupertazzi step away from the title of Boss to enjoy and live his life. So it would make sense that we see Tony take the other path, death.
    • Patsy Parisi at one point in the series pointed a gun at Tony Soprano through his home's window overlooking his swimming pool and considered shooting him to death, as revenge for ordering Gigi Cestone to kill his twin brother Phillip "Philly Soons" Parisi. Even in his drunken stupor, Patsy decided against it and instead urinated in Tony's swimming pool. He had the motives to kill Tony and may have also seen it as a way to stage a coup d'état of the DiMeo crime family and take over as boss. Patsy Parisi may have hired the hitman to kill Tony.
    • Silvio Dante was shot several times and left in a coma by a man wearing the same "Members Only" jacket who was part of the Lupertazzi family hit squad sent by Phil Leotardo. It is unknown if this is the same man or merely someone associated with him who has similar taste in clothing. Patsy Parisi shot back at the hitmen but may have intentionally missed his shots to set Silvio up to be killed as part of a larger revenge mission and coup d'état against Tony Soprano.
    • Despite the hit on Phil Leotardo being sanctioned by the Lupertazzi family, the job was done very messily with Phil being killed in front of his wife and infant grandchildren, and then having his skull crushed by his moving SUV that was stuck in drive. Tony may have been shot to death at the diner in front of his family to send a message that if you perform a messy hit like that, you'll die in another messy hit as punishment.
    • Relating to the above, Tony may have been considered a loose end to the new leadership of the Lupertazzi family, and killing him was likely considered severing the final link between them and the Phil Leotardo hit.
    • Instead of the screen fading to black and the credits rolling, it is an abrupt cut to a black screen that lasts for at least 3 seconds, suggesting it was an important part of the episode itself and not just a mere transition to the credits.

loved the ending!!

Best youtube video about it makes the case Paullie Walnuts had him whacked.

Not prosciutto?

I've never been all that excited about prosciutto for some reason. It's not that I don't like it. Fresh mozzarella is in the same boat. I'm more of a Hickory Farms kinda' guy when it comes to that sort of stuff.

I've never been all that excited about prosciutto for some reason. It's not that I don't like it. Fresh mozzarella is in the same boat. I'm more of a Hickory Farms kinda' guy when it comes to that sort of stuff.
I think the only ITalian meat I don't go mad for is Mortadella. Reminds me of Baloney. But a board of different ITalian meat and Gorgonzola Picante with some honey and great bread...perfect Friday night for me. Unless I'm making the Moz or it's in something then I'm not too fussed with it either.

Swerve - members only guy was an FBI agent and Tony was about to get arrested.

i thought it was pretty obvious that tony died at the end. the fade to black is supposed to represent immediate death.

Back