Songs people Misunderstand

yup, 2002. which even by then, the song was several years old. Always was a big green day fan back then, so it always annoyed me that they played a breakup song for the last dance at prom.

I think every school in 2002 used that as their graduation song. In 2000 it was Vitamin C's hit song... I think it was actually called "Graduation Song".

I graduated in '02 as well.

TS I can't believe you made me listen to Uncle Kraker.
Well, you accomplished what you asked for in the OT.
You've filled me full of hate. Hate for you, Kraker, Kid Rock, acoustic guitars and youtube. Thanks Obama.
If this wasn't mayberry, I'd give you a piece of my mind.

A lot of Rammstein songs are misunderstood by English speakers.

Many say that John Lennon would get pissed when people wold try to interpret his songs so he wrote I Am The Walrus to confuse them.

Just thought of another.

Master of Puppets - Metallica

Most people, including metalheads, have no idea this headbanging anthem is actually about hard drug addiction, told in 1st person of the heroine/cocaine.

"Chop your breakfast on a mirror."
"...I'm your source of self-destruction."
"Master of Puppets, pulling your strings.
Twisting your mind, smashing your dreams.
Blinded by me, you can't see a thing.
Just call my name, and I'll hear you scream. Master. Master."

This is what made those 3 albums (Lighting -> Justice) so good.
The lyrical themes, album concepts and musical construction were so intricate.
Later songs aren't bad, but the level of intricacy has definitely dipped.

I remember in high school, every couple would play "Lips of an Angel" by whoever it was (Hinder?)

Many songs by Randy Newman.

The Yellow man
Rednecks
etc.

This is what made those 3 albums (Lighting -> Justice) so good.
The lyrical themes, album concepts and musical construction were so intricate.
Later songs aren't bad, but the level of intricacy has definitely dipped.

One thing I've noticed about every song on those three albums, and almost everyone of their best songs throughout their entire career, is they're all about death.

Even their best song on St.Anger, 'Shoot Me Again.' And Death Magnetic, 'Cyanide.' ...all death songs.

Dude, she killed that performance!

[YT]a6dxNsWMb_E[/YT]

Also, everybody do yourself a favor and watch this 10 year old perform the song!
[YT]2zf9zrrPWEE[/YT]
Then ten year old had a voice, but she mistook the soul of the song in my opinion.

Where as I wanted to headbutt the older chick. That fucking sucked.

Let me tell you what Like a Virgin's about...

One thing I've noticed about every song on those three albums, and almost everyone of their best songs throughout their entire career, is they're all about death.

Even their best song on St.Anger, 'Shoot Me Again.' And Death Magnetic, 'Cyanide.' ...all death songs.

Pity they couldn't translate it to the writing of an album.
Death Magnetic could have been so good.

Ozzy Osbournes "Suicidal Solution" some parents sued because they said the song encouraged their son to kill himself. the song is actually about drinking yourself to death and is rumored to be a tribute to AC/DC Bon Scott though Ozzy claims its about him

Tipper Gore and the Parents Resource Center was all over this song back in the day

Not so much misunderstood, but it never ceased to amaze me how many Tool fans never stopped to spell out the meaning of "Stinkfist" to themselves. Many of Keenan's lyrics are cryptic. I've never met a fellow APC fan in real life who I felt successfully decrypted the meaning of "The Nurse Who Loved Me", but then, I have no validation that my interpretation is correct (though I think you'd find it exceptionally difficult to argue).

As I'm writing this, I'm sitting in a dive bar, drinking a beer, and listening to a MatchBox20 playing on the jukebox and this is the chorus:

"I wanna push you around, and I will, I will.
I wanna push you down, and I will, I will.
I wanna take you for granted, and I will...."

Anyone know if these lyrics are to be taken at face value?

Now they're Bohemian Rhapsody.... I heard years ago a comic store owner told me the song, if you read the lyrics, is about a kid that commits a murder, is executed, and burns in hell.

Back