Songs people Misunderstand

D

Devout Pessimist

One of the most requested love songs of all time is a song called "The one I Love" by R.E.M. In my day people would make love compilation tapes and CD's for their significant others with this song included.

Ironically, "The One I Love" is not a love song, its a song about using others and then leaving them behind to move on to another person. The telling lyrics being "A simple prop to occupy my time" and "Another prop has occupied my time"

There was a song released in 2001 (I think) called "Follow Me" by Uncle Kracker. People would use this song for romantic purposes while missing the fact that the song was about a man encouraging a woman to have an extra-marital affair with him.

What other songs can you think of that people have obviously misunderstood.

Every Breath You Take - The Police

Born In The USA - Bruce Springsteen

Most people don't know Come Together by the Beatles is about a gangbang

I'm not sure people misunderstand it, but I remember when i was young, they played the "Clint Eastwood" video on Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon, and even as a kid i thought "This song is clearly about drugs, what the hell is going on?"

No Woman, No Cry- Bob Marley

Ugh, Uncle Kracker. I forgot all about that asshole.

I think "Push It" by Salt N' Peppa is widely misunderstood to be just a silly little dance song but it's really about a woman who wants a deep, loving connection with a man. This is indicated by the line "Yo baby papi you come and give me a kiss, better make it fast or else I'm going to get pissed.".

I saw a youtube clip of some chick on american idol singing House of the Rising Sun all happy and smiling and shit and the judges loved it.

No matter what version or interpretation if it, its pretty grim. Not happy and fuckin smiley.

Maggie May by Rod Stewart.

I also think Jack and Dianne is about sexually active teens and a subsequent pregnancy, but I don't have any facts.

Do you like Huey Lewis and The News? In '87, Huey released Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.

Can you explain?

I've heard some people think it means if you don't have a woman, you don't have heartbreak. They kinda see it as 99 problems if you will.

However, its about a guy telling his woman to not cry because he will be returning to her after his travels. For us, it would be said "Don't cry woman"

Mr. Tambourine Man - Bob Dylan

"As evidenced in the movie Dangerous Minds, this song has widely been speculated to be an ode to mind-altering drugs, with Mr. Tambourine Man supposedly representing Dylan’s drug dealer. The song’s abstract, surrealistic imagery has fueled the idea that LSD was responsible for some of the lyrics, although Dylan claims to have been introduced to the drug after the song had been written. Dylan insists the song was never about drugs, but rather the search for inspiration. He claims the title character of Mr. Tambourine Man was actually inspired by musician Bruce Langhorne, who played a large Turkish tambourine during many of Dylan’s previous recording sessions."

http://listverse.com/2010/06/14/top-10-misinterpreted-song-meanings/

Probably most 80's italo songs because the artists didn't know english very well.

example

Back