Songs people Misunderstand

Probably been said but "99 Problems" isn't about problems with women. It's about problems with other types of bitches (Music Critics, Cops, Bitchmade Men) in each respective verse.

Yeah I've had people say that.

Losing your religion is actually an old southern saying for getting really angry or frustrated. My grandpa used to say it all the time. Like if he couldn't get a bolt off or something he would say "this damned thing is about to make me lose my religion"

yes old timers use that phrase if they are about to lose their temper or go against something the believe but cant help themselves. many southern baptist lose their religion at the honky tonks on saturday night and fight it sunday morning

yes old timers use that phrase if they are about to lose their temper or go against something the believe but cant help themselves. many southern baptist lose their religion at the honky tonks on saturday night and fight it sunday morning

That's the redneck way, bro

Smoking pot is probable, since it was the 60's and 70's.

But they weren't like a lot of bands that went all out on heroin, coke, and acid.

Syd Barrett was a heroin addict with mental health problems though.

The song Comfortably Numb is supposed to be about him.

Shine on you crazy diamond is about him also, as the drugs I'm not sure if they were or were not writing about drugs but psycadelic themes in their music are present. They moved away from it but tdsotm and atom heart mother and meddle are full of imagery.

not many people know but gangnam style is about capitalist oppression of third world nations while the media maintain the status quo with mind drivel, all the while questioning the fabric of our being

I don't think she sexualized it at all, but I do think she sang the living shit out of it.

She out there in fairly modest clothing, moving awkwardly, and it was obvious she was pouring every ounce into the song. Nothing about that performance came close to sex to me, it was all about a little girl turning into a huge voice.

I agree that it feels weird seeing someone so young sing this song, but I've seen a thousand people sing this it, so that doesn't bother me at all. Technically this song is a "high bar". When the judges heard it was her choice they winced not because of the flavor of the lyrics but because a lot of talented singers have sounded ridiculous singing this song.

In my opinion, of course. I totally get where you're coming from, and if I hadn't seen so many people sing this song I might feel the same.

In the interviews leading up to her performance I was prepared to dislike her because she's almost certainly been raised from birth to be a star, but my cynicism was blown away four bars in. The girl can sing, at least this song, anyways.

I dont know man, maybe sexualized was the wrong word to use. There was something about it that just wasnt right to me. Dont get me wrong, the girl was motherfucking awesome, but I just felt creepy half way through. If I closed my eyes and just listened Id think it was some 35 year old jaded chick whos had a really tough life. I think her attitude and the way she sang it were too old for her. Props to her acting chops though for making me think that. Thanks for the intelligent response.

I dont really like those shows at all but I like to watch the first time auditions where people are real and themselves and surprise the fuck out of everyone. Like Jonathan and Charlotte. This big fat fuck gets on stage and everyone is laughing at him then he just blows them all away. Like 2/3 through the song when people start cheering its like you can see his moment. The moment when his life changed. I like things like that. Janet Devlins audition was great too. She has a similar moment. I like the first ones cause theyre more genuine. Ohh I watched a new one today (new to me) some british chick singing my funny valentine. It was great.

Awesome voice, but this chick is fuckin 13. When watching it I thought whoa what an amazing voice, but halfway through I felt like a giant fuckin creep. I understand that the song is subjective and if she sang it like a 13 year old girl it woulda been great. But she sexualized it and everyone fuckin loved it. The way she sang it was just ridiculous to me.

Theres a few women I know that have been through the fucking ringer in life. Ive never heard them sing before but I think theyd sing this song, that way, sarcastically, better than this awesome voiced little chick.

tldr this little girl is singing the sarcastic version of the song like shes some jaded 35 year old whos been shit on by the world her whole life. shes fuckin 13

this girl killed it! You would hate her cover of "Strange Fruit"

Nope. It's a political campaign song commissioned by Timothy Leary for his would-be run for CA Gov.

I'm amazed only one person jumped at that joke.

Stinkfist is pretty obvious if you actually listen to the lyrics.

Isn't the nurse who loved me about a crazy guy in a mental institution that imagines that the nurse that gives him his meds is actually in love with him? I always thought those lyrics were pretty straight forward.
Let Sherdog have a go at it. I do think that it's rather straightforward, but you're only getting part of the narrative:
Lyrics said:
Say hello to the rugs topography
It holds quite a lot of interest with your face down on it
Say hello to the shrinking in your head
You can't see it but you'll know it's there so don't neglect it

I'm taking her home with me
All dressed in white
She's got everything I need
Pharmacy keys
She's fallen hard for me
I can see it in her eyes
She acts just like a nurse
With all the other guys

Say hello to all the apples on the ground
They were once in your eyes but you sneezed them out while sleeping
Say hello to everything you've left behind
It's even more a part of your life now that you can't touch it

I'm taking her home with me
All dressed in white
Some pills in a little cup
She's fallen hard for me
I can see it in her eyes
With all the other guys

Pharmacy keys
With all the other guys

Say hello to the rugs topography

It wasn't really directed at you, but more-so whoever wrote that long analysis of a song that's an analysis.

If it were some crime and punishment esque work filled with thick analogy and metaphor, i could understand that diatribe, but whoever wrote it was feeling themselves a little bit.

I guess it was long winded on their part, I just thought it was interesting that with both the songs I listed, many people don't pay attention to the lyrics enough to know what the song is about.

Pumped up Kicks is even more obvious yet I've spoken to countless people who were surprised when they realised what it was about.

Good thread. I always wondered what Led Zep meant by:

"If there's a bustle in your hedgerow, don't be alarmed now
It's just a spring clean for the May queen"

Or when Focus sang their classic Hocus Pocus, with the following lines:

"Joladadijoladadijoladadijoladadi
Joladadijoladadi-jo-o-ooh!
Joladadijoladadijoladadijoladadi
Joladadijoladadi-jo-o-ooh!
Oooooh-oooooh-oooooh-oooooh..."

But I did finally find out what Rob Halford from Judas Priest meant, in his song "Eat me Alive," when he sang:

"Wrapped tight around me
Like a second flesh hot skin
Cling to my body
As the ecstasy begins

Your wild vibrations
Got me shooting from the hip
Crazed and insatiable let 'er rip

Eat me alive

Sounds like an animal
Panting to the beat
Groan in the pleasure zone
Gasping from the heat