Songs people Misunderstand

Ugh, Uncle Kracker. I forgot all about that asshole.

I think "Push It" by Salt N' Peppa is widely misunderstood to be just a silly little dance song but it's really about a woman who wants a deep, loving connection with a man. This is indicated by the line "Yo baby papi you come and give me a kiss, better make it fast or else I'm going to get pissed.".

really? i always felt that song was about a chick that wanted to get railed.

As I'm writing this, I'm sitting in a dive bar, drinking a beer, and listening to a MatchBox20 playing on the jukebox and this is the chorus:

"I wanna push you around, and I will, I will.
I wanna push you down, and I will, I will.
I wanna take you for granted, and I will...."

Anyone know if these lyrics are to be taken at face value?
If by face value you're interpreting a blow job, then yes.

As I'm writing this, I'm sitting in a dive bar, drinking a beer, and listening to a MatchBox20 playing on the jukebox and this is the chorus:

"I wanna push you around, and I will, I will.
I wanna push you down, and I will, I will.
I wanna take you for granted, and I will...."

Anyone know if these lyrics are to be taken at face value?
Its about the singer getting pushed around in his relationships.

Swimming Pools by Kendrick Lamar.

People take it as a party song that has your typical rapper rapping about getting fucked up and what not. However, the song actually has deeper meaning and Kendrick has explained before that it explores the drinking/party culture of today and how kids see getting fucked up as an accolade.

It's his perspective, towards our generation, on how people don

This is what made those 3 albums (Lighting -> Justice) so good.
The lyrical themes, album concepts and musical construction were so intricate.
Later songs aren't bad, but the level of intricacy has definitely dipped.
That's why I feel they're overrated. When they're good, Matellica is one of the best.
But through the years, most of their catolog is mediocre. Good, but doesn't touch what they once did.

"Band on the Run" was about Mccartney's frustration with anti-pot laws.

Lennon claimed "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" was about a painting his son Julian made. Not sure I believe him, though.

Other than that, most the ones I could think already stated.

Stacie's mom is widely mis-interpreted. She in fact did not have anything going on that day

"Band on the Run" was about Mccartney's frustration with anti-pot laws.

Lennon claimed "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" was about a painting his son Julian made. Not sure I believe him, though.

Other than that, most the ones I could think already stated.

Didn't know that about Band On The Run, but am not surprised. The man liked his pot. :icon_chee Great tune!

Lennon's song I have no reason to believe that's not the truth. Too absurd to be a lie, plus I've heard so many recounts of this story - all exactly the same.

Many say that John Lennon would get pissed when people wold try to interpret his songs so he wrote I Am The Walrus to confuse them.

He was probably on acid when he wrote those lyrics as well. Never underestimate LSD for giving you out-in-the-ether ideas. :icon_lol:

I remember Ozzy got shit for lyrics from "Paranoid". They said he was saying

"I tell you to end your life, I wish I could, but it's too late"

which makes no sense contextually speaking - what a fucking idiot.

Real lyric is

"I tell you to enjoy life, I wish I could, but it's too late"

Night and day difference.

Maggie May by Rod Stewart.

I also think Jack and Dianne is about sexually active teens and a subsequent pregnancy, but I don't have any facts.

That and being 16 in that era, apperently was awesome.

I can't remember the name of the song, but the guy is actually talking about his guitar or something, I believe.

i think i'm turning japanese. interesting what it is really about.

This 100%. Even as a little kid, I was like what is this really about

It's just like Lennon's Lucy In The Sky song. Some people just WANT it to be about drugs. Oh how cool would that be? When it's not.

I just had a listen to Puff at youtube. Heartbreaking song. I wanted to DL it to play, but christ - it's just too sad. Incredibly beautiful song though.

Not so much misunderstood, but it never ceased to amaze me how many Tool fans never stopped to spell out the meaning of "Stinkfist" to themselves. Many of Keenan's lyrics are cryptic. I've never met a fellow APC fan in real life who I felt successfully decrypted the meaning of "The Nurse Who Loved Me", but then, I have no validation that my interpretation is correct (though I think you'd find it exceptionally difficult to argue).

Although, you do know APC didn't write "The Nurse Who Loved Me" right?

Back