• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Someone else would have gotten ridiculous praise for this - Nobody has done this to Usman

Except he was responding to me and I didn’t write him off. As a matter of fact, I would be shocked if Usman didn’t win a 5 rnd fight. But to pretend that’s the same Usman that has 97% TD defense is laughable. Those skills are diminished at this point. And that is just being real. If anything I’m more impressed that Usman did what he did considering no fight camp and traveled across the world. But he ain’t prime Usman <45>so the hyperbole of nobody could do this to Usman is just that, hyperbole.

He literally had 97% takedown defense success rate before his fight with Khamzat though. So he might have regressed some physically, but that doesn't change the fact that he had that official stat still. Though one could argue it should have been lower if you count the Colby takedown.

The takedown defense percentage doesn't change just because you perceive him to be a lesser version of himself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yep
I agree that this tendency to write declining fighters off as if they are instantly easy wins is silly, but I feel obliged to point out that Usman's lost twice (now three times) since his last win. I think he's looked pretty good overall, but clearly a step slower. The fight has a sort of unsatisfying feel to me, because I feel like despite the very short notice and moving up to a different weight class, Usman might have won this if it went five.
Its def possible. The end of the third with both guys sluggin it out,could have gone either way though if it happened again.

Have you ever seen Usman in his entire career dominated like this. I saw Usman's face going to his corner in the first round he had this face written allover it holy shxt I have never experienced this before in my life moment. Usman has never been laid and prayed or overpowered in the grappling but this was first time and he didn't even believe this was possible he is a good wrestler.

The issues is that Khamzat is held at high pedestal where he has to run thru everyone within minutes this narrative has to die.

Imagine if Chimaev started doing a Israel Adesanya coasting thru decisions by being defensive he would have been sacrificed on an alter.

I still think Chimaev runs thru the division he will beat some quick, some mid-way and others he will take them to decision
He won 5 mins of the fight dominantly and then lost the next 2 rounds to draw. He gassed himself by holding a body triangle and face cranking Usman. Only way he broke his wrist is when Usman slammed him in the first round, so again Usman is the only one who caused any fight ending offence in their fight even in his 10-8 round.

He had a full camp, was the one who had moved to 185 and managed to barely get the nod in a decision he shouldn't have gotten. Sure Usman is great, but that wasn't the show case it was meant to be for Khamzat. He was completely beatable in that fight and has not shown any improvement from his Burns fight.

Usman was ranked p4p number 1 in September of 2022
So? It mean shit to me. Yesterday Usman was a 36 year old man coming off 2 consecutive losses taking someone else spot on 2 weeks notice in a division he doesn’t belong to.

Chimaev didn’t beat the Usman Burns, Colby and Leon had in front of them. Not even close.

Reactions: lsa
He won 5 mins of the fight dominantly and then lost the next 2 rounds to draw. He gassed himself by holding a body triangle and face cranking Usman. Only way he broke his wrist is when Usman slammed him in the first round, so again Usman is the only one who caused any fight ending offence in their fight even in his 10-8 round.

He had a full camp, was the one who had moved to 185 and managed to barely get the nod in a decision he shouldn't have gotten. Sure Usman is great, but that wasn't the show case it was meant to be for Khamzat. He was completely beatable in that fight and has not shown any improvement from his Burns fight.

Draw my foot.. Usman lost that 3rd round buddy he was held down for half of the round besides nothing even happened in the 2nd round not even sure how he gets that one automatically

Chimaev is a monster grappler. His cardio is suspect and his striking defense is poor.

but yeah, no one can question the man’s grappling. When fresh, he’s probably the best MMA grappler on planet Earth.

Also, he stayed in there and eked out 2 rounds with a broken wrist. So he also has heart and toughness.
did you hear about khamzat's hand injury? when i rewatched the fight with that in mind, he looked good. i don't think he gassed out. that takedown in the 3rd was an awesome display of chain wrestling.

So? It mean shit to me. Yesterday Usman was a 36 year old man coming off 2 consecutive losses taking someone else spot on 2 weeks notice in a division he doesn’t belong to.

Chimaev didn’t beat the Usman Burns, Colby and Leon had in front of them. Not even close.

But he did best Usman, and Khamzat hasn’t fought in a year, and it was a last minute opponent change for him too. The guy has had 12 fights. What you guys gonna say when he wins the belt? Strickland was never good?

But he did best Usman, and Khamzat hasn’t fought in a year, and it was a last minute opponent change for him too. The guy has had 12 fights. What you guys gonna say when he wins the belt? Strickland was never good?
I truly believe that Chimaev is a special fighter and will be champ. ALWAYS said that. His power and wressling are exceptional. His striking defense is pretty bad, though. And that cardio is suspicious. I don’t see him holding a belt for long if he doesn’t improve that.

He literally had 97% takedown defense success rate before his fight with Khamzat though. So he might have regressed some physically, but that doesn't change the fact that he had that official stat still. Though one could argue it should have been lower if you count the Colby takedown.

Their takedown defense percentage doesn't lower just because you perceive him to be a lesser version of himself.
His takedown defense stat means nothing except that it’s an overlook of his entire career at a different weight class. My point of bringing that up is it had been brought up like he was fighting 97% Usman. He wasn’t. He was fighting 0% Usman. Unless he’s fought at this weight before that I’m not aware of. And Leon did take him down. Khamzat taking him down wasn’t even the impressive part about that. He had what, 33% td success? The control was the impressive part. And him controlling him In The 1st was impressive.

I still think Chimaev runs thru the division
Because he has been defeating blown up/short notice Welterweights? Since when is that a metric to determine a fighter's success in a heavier division? Adesanya was dominating Middleweight then got dominated himself by Jan.

Exposed as a winner? lol

It is a relative term. Exposed relative to the hype. Remember, people were claiming he was going to maul Usman because he was unprepared and was doing it for the money.

It is a relative term. Exposed relative to the hype. Remember, people were claiming he was going to maul Usman because he was unprepared and was doing it for the money.
He won,so its ok.

"REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" - Haters

Draw my foot.. Usman lost that 3rd round buddy he was held down for half of the round besides nothing even happened in the 2nd round not even sure how he gets that one automatically
2/3 judges gave Usman the second with Derek Cleary giving it to Khamzat. The third was split with Derek Cleary going the opposite again.

Stats are below. Usman outstruck Khamzat nearly 2-1 and landed 20 headstrikes with Kahmzat visibly reacting to those shots. Khamzat landed a takedown and then proceeded to land no offence before Usman got up and again won the final exchanges.
http://ufcstats.com/fight-details/f23e9729b2b73c27

Usman clearly won the 3rd round via all available scoring criteria. Takedowns with no offence are scored lower than significant strikes on the feet and should be. If that takedown led to some offence Khamzat could have stolen that round.
Khamzat got a 10-8 in the first, before losing the next 2 rounds. It should have been a draw at best.

He won,so its ok.

"REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" - Haters

He barely won a split decision against someone who got off the couch 10 days ago and flew across the world to fight someone who was 15 - 20 lbs heavier than him on fight night. If you feel that is worth rejoice then more power to you. I personally don't feel that way. Don't try to make it sound like a great accomplishment as I am entitled to my own interpretation. Khamzat did get exposed and I stand by that.

I truly believe that Chimaev is a special fighter and will be champ. ALWAYS said that. His power and wressling are exceptional. His striking defense is pretty bad, though. And that cardio is suspicious. I don’t see him holding a belt for long if he doesn’t improve that.
I think that’s pretty much what most of us think that aren’t in love. Dude can grapple like a mofo. Which will open up some striking for him. But that defense better get some serious work if he plans to win that belt and hold on to it for a long time. He isn’t Khabib or Islam.

He barely won a split decision against someone who got off the couch 10 days ago and flew across the world to fight someone who was 15 - 20 lbs heavier than him on fight night. If you feel that is worth rejoice then more power to you. I personally don't feel that way. Don't try to make it sound like a great accomplishment as I am entitled to my own interpretation. Khamzat did get exposed and I stand by that.
I didnt say any of that.

I just dont think he got "exposed" and wouldnt use that term.

Also War Khamzat.

No I haven’t seen that before because I’ve never seen Usman fight at middleweight on short notice.

His takedown defense stat means nothing except that it’s an overlook of his entire career at a different weight class. My point of bringing that up is it had been brought up like he was fighting 97% Usman. He wasn’t. He was fighting 0% Usman. Unless he’s fought at this weight before that I’m not aware of. And Leon did take him down. Khamzat taking him down wasn’t even the impressive part about that. He had what, 33% td success? The control was the impressive part. And him controlling him In The 1st was impressive.

It means he's really good at defending takedowns. Sure it was at a different weightclass, but that doesn't suddenly mean everything is completely different. His strengths are still his strengths and there is still a lot of carry-over.

Yes, Leon took him down, that's why his success rate went from 100% to 97 %.

And Usman is a big WW and Khamzat is just coming from WW too. The size difference was there but I don't think it was that big.

Both the successful takedowns and the control were very impressive. You can't say the takedowns weren't impressive because other takedowns failed.It's like saying someon's KO or even just a hard leg kick or body kick or whatever well executed powerfull technique isn't impressive because the fighter missed a couple of strikes earlier, or later, in the fight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yep
Back