• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Someone else would have gotten ridiculous praise for this - Nobody has done this to Usman

You make so many assumptions. Nobody can do this to Usman? So many people acting as if this is prime Usman. Not to mention when has Usman been the smaller guy? Let me know Usman’s grappling stats the last 3 fights. His control in the first round was impressive. His damage and his sub attempt were not. And Usman also got up later on when taken down. Again, his control in the first was impressive. Would be impressive vs anyone. But boy he better figure out how to defend some striking.
Some of you guys are morons

Acting like Usman is suddenly a complete bum after losing once

Anyone who beats him is impressive.

I was impressed…

I thought Usman, even on short notice, would have been able to handle Chimaev…

lol the mental gymnastics of khamzat and islam fans today has been amusing

Someone else would have gotten ridiculous praise for this - Nobody has done this to Usman

Once I saw a man kick Usman stone cold dead, and all I heard afterward is how lucky the guy was. As far as Chimaev goes, I thought he looked really good, but the way he slowed down leaves me wondering about how a five rounder might have gone.

The argument totally falls flat because it is highly flawed. Khamzat actually got exposed in the fight today. Usman's stock went up given the disadvantages he had.

Let's assume Usman is not past his prime, here are the counter points:

- Usman literally got off the couch and flew all across the world on a 10 days' notice to fight in a class above his natural class against a killer.
- Usman still arguably was getting better as the rounds went by. He won round 2 and some people would argue based on damage, he won round 3. Khamzat just laid there with top control. When Usman managed to stand back up, he was landing some of the best shots.
- Usman managed to get back up each time. He literally backpack carried Khamzat on his back to get up.
- Usman was the smaller guy despite the 15 lbs weight gain over his natural class. Usman himself said he would not be over 190 lbs on fight night (and he was not). Khamzat outweighed him by 15 - 20 lbs. Khamzat due to the larger frame, was around 205 - 210 lbs today.
- I would argue, pound for pound Usman was just as strong as Khamzat. He simply gave up in size and weight. It is simple physics as power is a product of both mass and momentum behind it. You put the same amount of momentum with more mass, you end up with more power.

Bobby Green did things to Tony Ferguson nobody else had ever done too.

Same deal.

I agree that this tendency to write declining fighters off as if they are instantly easy wins is silly, but I feel obliged to point out that Usman's lost twice (now three times) since his last win. I think he's looked pretty good overall, but clearly a step slower. The fight has a sort of unsatisfying feel to me, because I feel like despite the very short notice and moving up to a different weight class, Usman might have won this if it went five.

Kham matches up well against an untrained Usman in a 3 round match. In other circumstances? Not so much. Give Usman championship rounds and he wins. He would have today. Kham looks weaker than ever the way he faded in the later rounds. The Dagestan's might make him shave his beard in fact, because he isn't representing. Representing fighters with neckbeards I mean.

Adrenaline is a helluva drug. I was hit by an Asian driver while on my motorcycle and broke my wrist. I was able to pick up my bike, ride it home and then get sauced at a Bday party before realizing I needed to go to the hospital.
Asian food is tasty but you're hungry again in like two hours

Also, just say you were riding a moped.

Some of you guys are morons

Anyone who beats him is impressive.
No, some people should be booted from this site for adding nothing but name calling and horrible reading comprehension thinking that anyone who points out diminished skills of an older fighter who is for a fact on a two fight losing streak and is nowhere near his prime is somehow saying he’s a bum. He’s not a bum. Nothing I said suggested that I thought he was. Fact is he’s lost twice and is fighting a bigger fighter than him so we shouldn’t be spouting off hyperbole that nobody has done this to him. He’s not the same fighter that has 97% td defense. What’s his td defense in the two prior fights? Or throw in the 3rd prior fight. Although at this point that was years ago. Also I pointed out that the control Khamzat had in the first was impressive. And furthermore, would be impressive vs anyone. So you should be less emotional about who you attack because what you’re arguing has nothing to do with me.

this is a flawed counterfactual

1) Khamzat is getting ridiculous praise as we type
2) When you have a reputation for being invincible, every hole in your game is going to be spotlighted to challenge such imperious claims. That's why GSPs win over Fitch was considered underwhelming at the time. Same with Aldo beating Zombie. Or Conor beating Mendes.

Usman is over the hill at this point, with two shot knees. He is also smaller and was coming in on short notice. The fact that khamzat didn't finish him, and then proceeded to get pieced up a bit in the third, tells me the jury is still out on him. Don't get me wrong, he's clearly talented, but I'm not sure he's got what it takes to be a dominant champ. He could probably beat strickland though, tbh.

If he doesnt finish Strickland early Sean will beat him like a drum later in the fight.

I agree that this tendency to write declining fighters off as if they are instantly easy wins is silly, but I feel obliged to point out that Usman's lost twice (now three times) since his last win. I think he's looked pretty good overall, but clearly a step slower. The fight has a sort of unsatisfying feel to me, because I feel like despite the very short notice and moving up to a different weight class, Usman might have won this if it went five.
Except he was responding to me and I didn’t write him off. As a matter of fact, I would be shocked if Usman didn’t win a 5 rnd fight. But to pretend that’s the same Usman that has 97% TD defense is laughable. Those skills are diminished at this point. And that is just being real. If anything I’m more impressed that Usman did what he did considering no fight camp and traveled across the world. But he ain’t prime Usman <45>so the hyperbole of nobody could do this to Usman is just that, hyperbole.

Reactions: lsa
Nobody can do this to Usman I don't care who it is in the MW or WW not like this. If Usman couldn't stop Chimaev's A game I don't see anyone who can. I think he beats the current top 5 including Strickland I just don't think they have that high level pedgree of grappling to counter it
Chuck, Anderson, Fedor, Bj… they all looked great until they didn’t. Fighters decline. You will see more than one welter/middleweight doing “that” to Usman if not worse. These guys AGE and losses take away the aura of invincibility. This was a great win for Chimaev and the man has a promising future, but you sound like this was 170 lbs Usman from 2019-2021. That guy is long gone.

Reactions: lsa
If he doesnt finish Strickland early Sean will beat him like a drum later in the fight.
I think he will though. Strickland doesn't have near the grappling chops needed to deal with khamzat, imo. Prob 1st round sub or tko.

Has anyone exposed Chimaev as a front-running bully with no gas tank and poor striking defense? I think you're right, OP with a 2-month-old account and a thousand posts. Usman did expose him.

the front runner who won the third round? Lmao

Chuck, Anderson, Fedor, Bj… they all looked great until they didn’t. Fighters decline. You will see more than one welter/middleweight doing “that” to Usman if not worse. These guys AGE and losses take away the aura of invincibility. This was a great win for Chimaev and the man has a promising future, but you sound like this was 170 lbs Usman from 2019-2021. That guy is long gone.

Usman was ranked p4p number 1 in September of 2022

Back