SOLO Camping-Backpacking Routine/Supplies/Gear

I hear you on the trail runners. I switched to them a few years ago and have never looked back. On the other hand, I rarely overnight and just do long day hikes. It can get pretty challenging with boulder fields and the like but I've never had a problem and do many of the hikes solo on less traveled trails. I'm also never more than 10 miles from a trailhead.

But I did have a pretty experienced backpacker tell me that if you're hiking and miles from anywhere why risk a twisted or broken ankle in lieu of a few ounces of weight. He suggested hiking boots for an extra level of ankle support and not trail runners...made sense to me and if I was hiking overnight would probably do that.

I run into through hikers on the Appalachian trail all the time that are 1/2 way through by the time I run into them in Va .....you d be hard pressed to find one wearing a pair of boots. The advantages you enjoy on your day hikes apply fully to longer jaunts as well.

I've been hearing that " ankle support " stuff for years and its usually from someone schlepping 45 lbs worth of cheap and/or extraneous gear around

http://www.cleverhiker.com/blog/ditch-boots

Last edited by a moderator:
I run into through hikers on the Appalachian trail all the time that are 1/2 way through by the time I run into them in Va .....you d be hard pressed to find one wearing a pair of boots. The advantages you enjoy on your day hikes apply fully to longer jaunts as well.

I've been hearing that " ankle support " stuff for years and its usually from someone schlepping 45 lbs worth of cheap and/or extraneous gear around

Appreciate the link. Judging by the comments it sounds like personal preference still rules the day. I've done balance exercises for years and it definitely helps from a standpoint of recovering from an off balance step.

Regardless of what shoe type you go with picking out the right fit is still key. Took me awhile to get that right. I still got blisters or lot's of wear on the toes with a bad (poorly fitted) pair of trailrunners. The pair I got this summer were better than any previous pair. Went 15 miles on the first hike and my feet were fine.

My original Montrails still provide the best support but they're incredibly heavy compared to my newer pairs.

This. Used boots exclusively for years all the while using the excuse that I have bad ankles and am prone to sprains. On the advice of a doctor specializing in sports I switched to trail runners and after building my ankles back up to full strength, foot pain/sprains have ben almost non-existent.

i m currently reading the comments on that link you posted

good point of view and ill prob pick up a pair of trail runners, since i want to start running trails anyway

however, from my experience with day hikes around here, there have been so many times where i thought to myself "thank god im wearing boots and not running shoes"

the trails i frequent tend to have lots of rock scrambles (i always end up slamming my toes on a rock), streams where you need to cross slippery rocks, muddy hills

i havent tried trail running shoes yet, but i have been in regular asics and nike running shoes on trails with these conditions and i felt like it was an accident waiting to happen for me

i guess it;s all about personal preference and context
but ill for sure try them out

i m currently reading the comments on that link you posted

good point of view and ill prob pick up a pair of trail runners, since i want to start running trails anyway

however, from my experience with day hikes around here, there have been so many times where i thought to myself "thank god im wearing boots and not running shoes"

the trails i frequent tend to have lots of rock scrambles (i always end up slamming my toes on a rock), streams where you need to cross slippery rocks, muddy hills

i havent tried trail running shoes yet, but i have been in regular asics and nike running shoes on trails with these conditions and i felt like it was an accident waiting to happen for me

i guess it;s all about personal preference and context
but ill for sure try them out

Try them out, like the guy above mentioned you will strengthen all of the muscles and connective tissuesin your ankles by using them like they were designed and be better off for it. I won't be able to convince you nearly as well as your own personal experience will. I will reiterate though that boots IMO seem to be a staple of the lesser experienced crowd and are almost non existent amongst the through hiker / big miles crowd...... that should tell you something. Many of those comments are likely 50 year old weekend warrior types.

Either way..... Its a great hobby man and I'm sure you'll have many great times

to the OP, I hike the very same woods you speak of on a regular basis. I've seen plenty of bear activity over the past few years plus packs of coyotes. I haven't seen any coyotes get aggressive but they aren't at all bother that you are on their turf. About 10 to 15 feet is the closest I've been, not by choice. I'd say a can of pepper spray isn't a bad idea. Hang your food up a tree at night when you sleep. A bear will come n your tent if he smells food.

my two cents on the boot/ trailer run argument. I wear boots. 1) my ankles suck, so I need the support 2) New York hiking is over stone after stone. They'll beat the snot out of the bottoms of your feet over time. I'm in an absolutely ridiculous pair of Asolo expedition grade boots that I had picked up for a trekking journey in the Alps.

Lastly, take one luxury item with you. A flask of scotch, maybe a bar of dark chocolate, either way its a nice reward to enjoy when taking ina great view. I usually pack a big beer.

Learn how to make a fire properly without any firestarters
In your first aid kit keep a lighter and candle or piece of bike tire tube to start a fire quickly if you're sick/injured

Bivvy bag>heavy tent IMO

Learn how to use a topo map and compass rather then relying just on gps

Won't comment on water as you can drink straight out of streams where I live but in general try to find the lightest weight option

Tent Hammocks pack very small, and are far more comfortable than sleeping on a uneven ground.

IMG_1891.jpg

Not good in the cold or in unwooded areas though.

Hike your own hike man. I'd love to sit here and tell you what I think you should do, but the reality is that there is no wrong way(well I guess there is) to backpack or hike. Just follow LNT principles and don't do anything that could lead to a bad outcome.

Hike your own hike man. I'd love to sit here and tell you what I think you should do, but the reality is that there is no wrong way(well I guess there is) to backpack or hike. Just follow LNT principles and don't do anything that could lead to a bad outcome.

Good advice! There is definitely more than one way to skin a cat.

socks...bring socks. and not cheap ones. if your going to be doing a lot of hiking, you're feet are the most important thing on you.

like a poster previously mentioned, iodine tablets should be put in water if you cant purify and trust it. worse comes to worse if you have a pot, you could just hot rock boil.

do you have any map reading skills without GPS?

bring a flint striker with you and skip out of using lighter and matches (bring them though) and try to make your own fire. there's something truly special about that.

I've gone away for a weekend, and week long survival courses and it was the best thing ive ever done.

Been backpacking in the southwest for 20+ years so my standard gear wont be of much use to you except...

Bring a gun, knife, and axe. Nothing fancy, I bring a .357, a skinning knife, and a Estwing campers axe every trip and they've proven valuable more times than you'd be able to count.

Been backpacking in the southwest for 20+ years so my standard gear wont be of much use to you except...

Bring a gun, knife, and axe. Nothing fancy, I bring a .357, a skinning knife, and a Estwing campers axe every trip and they've proven valuable more times than you'd be able to count.

Where do you hide the bodies?

socks...bring socks. and not cheap ones. if your going to be doing a lot of hiking, you're feet are the most important thing on you.

like a poster previously mentioned, iodine tablets should be put in water if you cant purify and trust it. worse comes to worse if you have a pot, you could just hot rock boil.

do you have any map reading skills without GPS?

bring a flint striker with you and skip out of using lighter and matches (bring them though) and try to make your own fire. there's something truly special about that.

I've gone away for a weekend, and week long survival courses and it was the best thing ive ever done.

i do have map/compass skills

now you got me thinking about one of those survival courses

Get a jet boil as well

Agreed. Two of my favorite items for solo backpacking is a JetBoil stove and the Platypus Gravityworks filter. I also use a Platypus water reservoir.

I'm mostly about convenience so I use dehydrated food like Backpackers Panty/Mountain House. This way I can boil water in about 2-3 minutes and let the meal rehydrate while setting up camp. Another bonus is there no need to carry pots or pans, or having to clean said pots and pans. This has the benefit of being light, convenient, and doesn't stink up the campsite as much.

JetBoil

I use to carry a pump filter. Those days are no more after getting a Gravityworks filter. Light, fast, convenient.
Gravityworks filter

Get a jet boil as well

This was my first stove. While there are better in terms of weight and packability, in terms of convenience the Jetboil is usually my go to. I still have the original Jetboil from the first batches they ever made, had to replace the igniter once, and I always waffle on whether to buy the Sol version when I'm in the store(bad buyers remorse) . If I'm focused on weight for longer trips I go towards my Pocket Rocket.

Back