SOLO Camping-Backpacking Routine/Supplies/Gear

Oh nice! I've gotta get me a new summer bag this year, mine was torn apart by a mouse last year in the basement/crawlspace. I think my pack some in at about 18 without food or water, and always under 30 with(ideally I like it at 25-28 loaded. I just got a dehydrator for the first time, my biggest weight blunders are always food. Looking to drop a pound with a summer bag and maybe try out a tarp tent since my wife is hiking with me now(make her carry some shit). So maybe I can get it down into the low 20s

Food always got me too. I started laying out piece by peice planning every meal and snack instead of just throwing a bunch of food in the pack. I always ALWAYS finished hikes with a bunch of leftover food , now I pretty much always come out of the woods with zero food left.

Having someone along to spread stuff around always helps......I usually just end up packing in that much more alcohol then!

25-28 is doing pretty good man. I was humping 40-50 lbs before I wised up.

You scoff, but I've seen lots of guys with one of those strapped to the outside of their pack. I usually give them an "I'm so sorry" look when they pass(or when I pass them rather). I've even seen a dutch oven packed in about 30 miles from the nearest road.

besides being heavy you have to dry them completely after cleaning (best by heating them...waste of fuel) or they will rust, you also wouldn't want to get rained on etc.

Food always got me too. I started laying out piece by peice planning every meal and snack instead of just throwing a bunch of food in the pack. I always ALWAYS finished hikes with a bunch of leftover food , now I pretty much always come out of the woods with zero food left.

Having someone along to spread stuff around always helps......I usually just end up packing in that much more alcohol then!

25-28 is doing pretty good man. I was humping 40-50 lbs before I wised up.

Forgot to mention that sleeping bag was a Western Mountaineering Summerlite...... I put the boots to that mouse.

You ever go winter camping? I really dig it for some odd reason.

Florida boy mang. Skiing and snowshoeing for the first time this winter. I'm going to try it soon, winter stuff costs a lot!

Florida boy mang. Skiing and snowshoeing for the first time this winter. I'm going to try it soon, winter stuff costs a lot!

Lol yeah it does but to stay warm it's worth it. However it's like anything sometimes the cheaper option works just as well, gotta get out there and find what works and what doesn't.

Get a Katadyn water filter (I have the pocket and love it. I will never have to buy another filter in my entire life). I usually camp near water on purpose (I fish), thus I don't have to haul a shit ton of water around. Just bring the filter and replenish when necessary.

I used to motorcycle camp and used a dual fuel Coleman stove and I could just run gasoline through it, thus I did not have to carry extra fuel.

Also made my own hobo stove out of large tin can (like the institutional size cans of beans, etc....)

You can cook an entire meal with just some twigs. Those things are awesome.

Also, I got my Concealed Carry just for that purpose. In the parks I camped in, you were not allowed to have firearms when not hunting, unless you had a concealed carry permit.

Have bear spray, but if it's windy, etc... it is very limited. Contrary to popular belief, black bears can be very dangerous.

If you are camping in an area where there are bears, follow the general rules about food. Never cook at your camp site, string your food in a tree x amount of yards from your campsite. Invest in some smell proof bags. Zip locks, etc... do shit. Go to amazon and type in scent proof bag, and buy them for snacks if you must keep food at your camp site.

An average dog's sense of smell is 100 times better than a human. A bear's is 2,100 times better than a human.

And make noise when you are hiking, especially going around a bend, etc... Most bears will hear you and leave. You accidentally get between a bear and her cubs, you're fucked.

Bears scare the shit out of me (not because they are mean, but because of their capabilities), but not panicking is key.

Also, investigate the trees where you set up your tent. Look at the ground. See all of the fallen limbs? Those could easily fall on your tent at night whilst you sleep.

Last edited:
This is the thread I needed to see.

Bookmarked. One of my goals is to do some serious backpacking this year.

They say for ocean, you should bring some super long fabric to roll out that's easily visible in case of needing rescue. Same thing would be useful for land, I assume.

You ever go winter camping? I really dig it for some odd reason.

The wife and I took the kids camping for thanksgiving, haven't quite done winter yet. The boy is still a little young for that I think. It's definitely on the short list though.

I prefer my hammock over my tent.
You'll need a good stove. MSR or JetBoil will be fine.
Katadyn makes a good water filter. I'd take a filter and use boiling as a backup.
Head lamp.
There are a million good packs. Keep an eye on Steep and Cheap for awesome deals.

Get a Katadyn water filter (I have the pocket and love it. I will never have to buy another filter in my entire life). I usually camp near water on purpose (I fish), thus I don't have to haul a shit ton of water around. Just bring the filter and replenish when necessary.

I used to motorcycle camp and used a dual fuel Coleman stove and I could just run gasoline through it, thus I did not have to carry extra fuel.

Also made my own hobo stove out of large tin can (like the institutional size cans of beans, etc....)

You can cook an entire meal with just some twigs. Those things are awesome.

Also, I got my Concealed Carry just for that purpose. In the parks I camped in, you were not allowed to have firearms when not hunting, unless you had a concealed carry permit.

Have bear spray, but if it's windy, etc... it is very limited. Contrary to popular belief, black bears can be very dangerous.

If you are camping in an area where there are bears, follow the general rules about food. Never cook at your camp site, string your food in a tree x amount of yards from your campsite. Invest in some smell proof bags. Zip locks, etc... do shit. Go to amazon and type in scent proof bag, and buy them for snacks if you must keep food at your camp site.

An average dog's sense of smell is 100 times better than a human. A bear's is 2,100 times better than a human.

And make noise when you are hiking, especially going around a bend, etc... Most bears will hear you and leave. You accidentally get between a bear and her cubs, you're fucked.

Bears scare the shit out of me (not because they are mean, but because of their capabilities), but not panicking is key.

Also, investigate the trees where you set up your tent. Look at the ground. See all of the fallen limbs? Those could easily fall on your tent at night whilst you sleep.

thanks for the tips

yeha im paranoid about black bears recently.....if you googlee "black bear kills rutgers student" , apparently the black bear they came across was "Curious" like the one in this video, before the guys freaked and ran in separate directions....the bear killed/ate the slowest one

they were actually warned by a couple heading back to the trail head of an overly curious bear following them

i wish i could carry (open or concealed) but it's damn near impossible to here in NY and NJ

to give you guys an idea of the type of terrain i intend on setting up camp here are a few pics

on the tops of "plateaus" like these
Corey-MTB-Website-112.jpg

prd_020678.jpg

Ah ' The Gunks'. excellent hiking there. If you get way out on Smiley road You can find the Berry Pickers trail. It's an excellent trail that meanders through much of those karst like formations.

Be real careful camping up there. First of all if the rangers catch you, you'll get a ticket. camping is not permitted in the Gunks. Two, that place is a tinder bundle most times of the year. Really dry pine needles will do that.

Ah ' The Gunks'. excellent hiking there. If you get way out on Smiley road You can find the Berry Pickers trail. It's an excellent trail that meanders through much of those karst like formations.

Be real careful camping up there. First of all if the rangers catch you, you'll get a ticket. camping is not permitted in the Gunks. Two, that place is a tinder bundle most times of the year. Really dry pine needles will do that.

yeah.......i've "heard" from "some friends of strangers i dont know at all"....that if "Someone" is "connected" to a certain group of people that one may be able to camp out no problem

just a rumor i "heard" lol

also looking at some of the places in harriman.........i would like to start off in similar spots...love them

If you are going to a place where you need to scramble, climb etc bring appropriate shoes. I really like La Sportiva Boulder X approach shoes, awesome rubber, comfortable for hiking, very tough.

In the comments of that article there are couple good pro-boots points. One is when hiking over snow where you need to kick step, its hard to do in runners. Second is places with really broken terrain not because you can twist ankle but because you endup bashing your ankles on the stone and endup bruised and scratched. but I think for this kinda conditions probably better to go with a mountaineering boots. They have a climbing area in front and cover ankle completely, also their soles are designed to make kickstepping easier

I don't know if there are areas like that near you but I really like canoe solo camping. Something relaxin about it and you can bring as much gear, booze, food etc as you want

If you are going to a place where you need to scramble, climb etc bring appropriate shoes. I really like La Sportiva Boulder X approach shoes, awesome rubber, comfortable for hiking, very tough.

In the comments of that article there are couple good pro-boots points. One is when hiking over snow where you need to kick step, its hard to do in runners. Second is places with really broken terrain not because you can twist ankle but because you endup bashing your ankles on the stone and endup bruised and scratched. but I think for this kinda conditions probably better to go with a mountaineering boots. They have a climbing area in front and cover ankle completely, also their soles are designed to make kickstepping easier

I don't know if there are areas like that near you but I really like canoe solo camping. Something relaxin about it and you can bring as much gear, booze, food etc as you want

dont ahve a canoe but i have a kayaks that i use regularly

boat/camping is def in my plans for when i want to load up on supplies

Back