SOLO Camping-Backpacking Routine/Supplies/Gear

Lol at the 16 dollar fire starter or you could just pack matches or a lighter in a waterproof bag in your gear that would cost maybe 5 dollars. City people are funny

You missed the part where it says it last over 10.000 strikes.
Why do you think the Swedish (and more) army uses this?
Because it is worth it for practicality.

Lol at the 16 dollar fire starter or you could just pack matches or a lighter in a waterproof bag in your gear that would cost maybe 5 dollars. City people are funny

I never got those either. You can stick one or two of those mini bics in your pack for $3 .They are easier to use and you'd be hard pressed to make it unusable...... hell I've run tons of them through the wash and they always work afterwards.

I never got those either. You can stick one or two of those mini bics in your pack for $3 .They are easier to use and you'd be hard pressed to make it unusable...... hell I've run tons of them through the wash and they always work afterwards.

True that. You use any fire starting stuff when you know conditions will suck? I bring one of those mini handsanitizer bottles to use in a pinch.

I've also used the Vaseline covered cotton balls trick, light, easy to do. Put the doused ones in a little pill pack sized ziplock.

You missed the part where it says it last over 10.000 strikes.
Why do you think the Swedish (and more) army uses this?
Because it is worth it for practicality.

I don't see it. Are you planning on spending 3 years at a clip in the woods or a weekend. A buddy of mine bought his little ferisium ( sp?) Rod on a trip last year . He spent about a 1/2 hour dicking around collecting tinder that was dry enough and fine enough to go with a spark. I'm not downplaying fire making skills as they are incredibly useful. I just see a stick as making life harder on yourself for the sake of playing Bear Grylls

True that. You use any fire starting stuff when you know conditions will suck? I bring one of those mini handsanitizer bottles to use in a pinch.

I've also used the Vaseline covered cotton balls trick, light, easy to do. Put the doused ones in a little pill pack sized ziplock.

I've heard of that but never used them. PETROLEUM jelly , I'm sure it works like a champ.

I normally cut a square off one of those parafin starter logs ( I use the at home in the fire place) , maybe about the size of an altoid tin or so. If you break it up right you can start a few fires with a chunk that size. Makes life a hell of a lot easier when shit is wet.

I've heard of that but never used them. PETROLEUM jelly , I'm sure it works like a champ.

I normally cut a square off one of those parafin starter logs ( I use the at home in the fire place) , maybe about the size of an altoid tin or so. If you break it up right you can start a few fires with a chunk that size. Makes life a hell of a lot easier when shit is wet.

I'll have to try that one next time see if it is faster than my methods. You spend enough time out in the woods and building a fire isn't about being manly anymore, it becomes about just getting the fucking thing lit as fast as possible. I remember in my teens backpacking and spending hours trying to get a fire lit. I'm great at firestarting, but if I have to spend more than 30 minutes at it now, I just set up my tent and smoke a cigar. Maybe I'm just getting old.

I don't see it. Are you planning on spending 3 years at a clip in the woods or a weekend. A buddy of mine bought his little ferisium ( sp?) Rod on a trip last year . He spent about a 1/2 hour dicking around collecting tinder that was dry enough and fine enough to go with a spark. I'm not downplaying fire making skills as they are incredibly useful. I just see a stick as making life harder on yourself for the sake of playing Bear Grylls

Have you looked into the firesteel? It takes no real skills. Try it out a couple of times and then it works always. Soaking wet and in really bad situations. It gives really high temperature, as they have said:

Produces a 2,980

I'll have to try that one next time see if it is faster than my methods. You spend enough time out in the woods and building a fire isn't about being manly anymore, it becomes about just getting the fucking thing lit as fast as possible. I remember in my teens backpacking and spending hours trying to get a fire lit. I'm great at firestarting, but if I have to spend more than 30 minutes at it now, I just set up my tent and smoke a cigar. Maybe I'm just getting old.

I doubt it'll be any " faster " , but it works and its cheap and easy. The starter logs I buy for the house are like $2 and you could probably start 50 fires with it if you were trying.

I know what you mean . I'm usually smoked from carrying my ass 10-15 miles through the mountains and spending an hour crouched over a smoldering pile of sticks is pretty low on the list of shit I wanna be doing !

I rarely make a fire anymore. Unless there is convenient wood around I won't even bother. Plus I like looking at the sky without any light pollution.

Have you looked into the firesteel? It takes no real skills. Try it out a couple of times and then it works always. Soaking wet and in really bad situations. It gives really high temperature, as they have said:

It is basically like hundreds of uber bic lighters.

Then you went on to going on a search for dry wood and whatnot.
You can prepare a good system to start a fire, no matter if you use a firesteel or a bic. It does not cancel that option.

swedish-army-firesteel-army-2-0_4.jpg

ImageGen.ashx

This guy articulates my problem with a fire steel pretty well

http://www.junglecraft.com.my/index.php/firesteels-are-they-overrated/

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt it'll be any " faster " , but it works and its cheap and easy. The starter logs I buy for the house are like $2 and you could probably start 50 fires with it if you were trying.

I know what you mean . I'm usually smoked from carrying my ass 10-15 miles through the mountains and spending an hour crouched over a smoldering pile of sticks is pretty low on the list of shit I wanna be doing !

The novelty of it wears all wears off. It was nice when I came to the realization that my hiking endeavors had become more about seeing forgotten beautiful places and less about carrying big knives, guns, axes, millions of firestarters, etc and fulfilling some walkabout, manhood spirit journey type bullshit.

What kind of shelter/bag you using to get down to a 17 pound a baseweight?

somebody said cast iron pot?

somebody said cast iron pot?

You scoff, but I've seen lots of guys with one of those strapped to the outside of their pack. I usually give them an "I'm so sorry" look when they pass(or when I pass them rather). I've even seen a dutch oven packed in about 30 miles from the nearest road.

The novelty of it wears all wears off. It was nice when I came to the realization that my hiking endeavors had become more about seeing forgotten beautiful places and less about carrying big knives, guns, axes, millions of firestarters, etc and fulfilling some walkabout, manhood spirit journey type bullshit.

What kind of shelter/bag you used to get down to a 17 pound a baseweight?

I have an old bat ray tarp made by mountain hardware that weighs about 3.5 lbs. I use a down summer bag that works into the 30s just fine if I sleep in my base layer and maybe a fleece . All of my cloths are synthetic and dual purpose which cut down on weight a lot. A bottle of
Aquamira as opposed to a filter. Big mouth Aquafina bottles instead of a nalgene bottle ect. All that little stuff adds up

What kind of shelter/bag you using to get down to a 17 pound a baseweight?

Where do you do most of your hiking man?

I have an old bat ray tarp made by mountain hardware that weighs about 2 lbs. I use a down summer bag that works into the 30s just fine if I sleep in my base layer and maybe a fleece . All of my cloths are synthetic and dual purpose which cut down on weight a lot. A bottle of
Aquamira as opposed to a filter. Big mouth Aquafina bottles instead of a nalgene bottle ect. All that little stuff adds up

Oh nice! I've gotta get me a new summer bag this year, mine was torn apart by a mouse last year in the basement/crawlspace. I think my pack some in at about 18 without food or water, and always under 30 with(ideally I like it at 25-28 loaded. I just got a dehydrator for the first time, my biggest weight blunders are always food. Looking to drop a pound with a summer bag and maybe try out a tarp tent since my wife is hiking with me now(make her carry some shit). So maybe I can get it down into the low 20s

This was my first stove. While there are better in terms of weight and packability, in terms of convenience the Jetboil is usually my go to. I still have the original Jetboil from the first batches they ever made, had to replace the igniter once, and I always waffle on whether to buy the Sol version when I'm in the store(bad buyers remorse) . If I'm focused on weight for longer trips I go towards my Pocket Rocket.

I think it's good for pack ability in sense that everything fits in the cup and you have the cup. Getting two birds stoned at once type thing.

Man I wish my wife was more into hiking/camping

Back