So what 28 days....

28 days is not a magic number. It is what most insurance allows, as another poster mentioned.

Addiction is a life long battle and it involves a lot of relapse before most people get it.

You aren't supposed to hang around old people places or things. If Jones doesn't plan on changing the people he hangs around then it's a lost cause.

He should also stay away from all the bars he is known to frequent. I know here in Ithaca, where he lived for a while, most people know him from the bars. He is known to get shit faced pretty hard.

Hardcore addiction is a lifelong battle. Not everyone that uses has that problem though. That, to me, is the biggest question. Is Bones a casual user who parties every now and then or does he have an addictive personality and this is a lifelong demon to him?

I know people who are alcoholics and cannot stop drinking and I know people who drink 1 beer and say, ok that's enough, I don't want anymore. Alcohol is a drug but not everyone uses it the same. Maybe Bones is not a hardcore addict.

All I know is he was told and taught 27 days for habitual behavior. Surely if you went to school you have heard of how long it takes to break a habit. That is not to say that some alcoholics or other addicts don't relapse but its a mental problem.

His school was/is behind the curve. Which is not surprising as addiction awareness and understanding are lacking--but getting better all the time.

There is no such thing as breaking an addiction. Addiction is a progressive mental illness. It is either active or in remission. It never goes away, but it is manageable via treatment and ongoing life-long maintenance. It is a chronic, medical disease a la diabetes--as defined by the AMA and every other scientific body/organization in the developed world.

The 28-Day time period is a result of whatever actuarial math was/is used by the insurance companies. Drug/alcohol treatment coverage used to be open-ended, but the success rate for long-term, meaningful recovery is statistically dismal. Short of open-ended, addiction experts consider three months an ideal amount of coverage--depending the individual's stage in the progression.

A more "appropriate" question for the people who are suspicious of the legitimacy of JBJ's entering treatment is whether or not he is an addict at all. With the DUI and what seems to be a considerable body of rumor about coke-use the chances are high that he is. But the lofty height at which he functions professionally and the fact that he has passed random tests since 12/4 suggest he could be in early stages. Or, technically, not an addict.

We will "know" a lot about the extent of JBJ's problem when he is discharged from treatment and reenters the public eye. If he's out three weeks from now and picks up training/fighting along a natural timeline we can be somewhat sure that he has arrested early stage addiction. (Obviously, this set of circumstances throws fuel on the doubters' fire.)

If he stays remains in treatment longer than the 28 days, or transfers elsewhere and limits his public exposure to a request for privacy, it will be reasonable to guess that he suffers from advanced stage addiction. In which case he will likely be gone for anywhere from 3 additional months to more than a year.

Frame of reference: Tiger Woods dealt with sex addiction issues and was away from golf for 9 months.

If I'm trying to read it like a poker hand, I put him on a return to training early next summer with a fight in September. Give or take 60 days, I'd give that a 30% chance of accuracy.

*As people consider and judge the situation they should try to avoid applying a personal standard. The VAST, VAST majority of people who use drugs/booze are not and never will become addicts. Even the people who you would consider "heavy users" are more likely to avoid addiction than to contract it.

Do you think he was forced? Do you think Dana said look man, this looks bad, you gotta go to rehab? I'm not saying that didn't happen but I don't know.

That's exactly what I think happened.

I am an addiction expert.

Do you think gambling is a legitimate addiction?

Or do you think that this country coddles people with problems, and assigns diseases to weak individuals with character flaws?

I am an addiction counselor with a Masters degree, working on my Ph.D. There is no magic number when dealing with addiction.

I just hope that JBJ doesn't O.D. in rehab.

I didn't think that it was any more "difficult" to score in Rehab centers than it is in Prison(s)!

FFS, can you explain how Jerry Garcia O.D'd well into his detox/ rehab?:eek:

I knew JBJ was in trouble when he was hanging with Ray Lewis in Baltimore.

Or do you think that this country coddles people with problems, and assigns diseases to weak individuals with character flaws?

Not sure how to respond to this, other than to say people can become addicted to just about anything. Each person is unique, with unique backgrounds, and how our brains respond to life-events varies accordingly.

What's wrong with designating diseases for weak individuals? Can you give me an example of a disease that does NOT address a human weakness?

If you recognize the medical community as an authority, gambling addiction is very real. Gambling, amphetamines, and sex all light up the same neuro-receptors. (And, relatively speaking, almost none of the people who light up those receptors are, or will ever become addicts.)

Jone sisn't fucking addicted it's a PR thing he has been taking coke for years if he was addicted then you would have seen it in his performances he simply does coke when he parties and from now on he'll probably only do it when he has not fight coming up.
Seriously who thinks he's addicted to coke

I just hope that JBJ doesn't O.D. in rehab.

I didn't think that it was any more "difficult" to score in Rehab centers than it is in Prison(s)!

FFS, can you explain how Jerry Garcia O.D'd well into his detox/ rehab?:eek:

I knew JBJ was in trouble when he was hanging with Ray Lewis in Baltimore.

Sadly, there is truth to this. The addiction field does not pay well, leading to a sometimes less-than-qualified, or less-than-ethical person being hired. These people can then manipulate results, supply fake urine, supply drugs etc.

That's exactly what I think happened.

Why?

Not sure if your sig implies a genuine fondness for J.C., but if it does, wouldn't the
Christian be compassionate and forgiving? (Not that anyone has to be Christian to default to compassion and forgiveness.)

And he's cured? Everything goes back to normal? Since that's the magic number that somehow heals peoples addictions ?

28 days and he resumes training? Anyone have some inside info

So what is it filthy?
What's the number you want? 😗

The majority of people who go through inpatient rehab treatment don't stay sober from that treatment. Some do, but most don't. Another thing to think about is that he went into treatment because the world found out about the test. He's not trying to get clean for himself. You have to want to be sober, not do it because people are forcing you into rehab.

That thinking makes intuitive sense, but it doesn't hold with reality. Almost all people in recovery were forced there by outside pressure like a failed drug test. People are court-ordered, they get ultimatums from the wife, threatened with job loss, etc., etc. If you're an addict, the reason for GOING to rehab is meaningless compared to what happens after.

If the treatment begins to work, the addict will see that the reason for his arrival was not an independent event. It was/is the last/latest step in a progression--a huge number of which include early morning DUI crashes.

The only reason Jon is going to rehab is to smooth this whole thing over. When he gets out a statement will be made: "blabla, I had a problem but after 28 days in rehab I'm a changed person, I'm very sorry for everyone I let down and hurt because of my addiction." - Something along those lines.
Jon would've never gotten into rehab if it wasn't for the fact that he got caught. And because of that, the rehab wont do shit for him.

Why?

Not sure if your sig implies a genuine fondness for J.C., but if it does, wouldn't the
Christian be compassionate and forgiving? (Not that anyone has to be Christian to default to compassion and forgiveness.)

The way everything went down with NAC telling the UFC beforehand and the UFC not telling Jones until after, I think the entire thing has been orchestrated to some degree to save face. I don't know if the UFC told Jones he needed to go to rehab so it would look good, or if they told them he needed to go to rehab because they genuinely thought he needed it and cared about him (and their investment of millions of dollars in him), but I do believe they told him to go. The way it all came out with his announcement he was going to rehab just as the results of the test came out and then the news that the UFC wouldn't be punishing him at all - that's just how it seems to me.

Regarding my sig:

[YT]gndH9mhHPk0[/YT]

27/28 days is way too long. he will go so crazy in there he will want to be doing coke outta boredom.

The way everything went down with NAC telling the UFC beforehand and the UFC not telling Jones until after, I think the entire thing has been orchestrated to some degree to save face. I don't know if the UFC told Jones he needed to go to rehab so it would look good, or if they told them he needed to go to rehab because they genuinely thought he needed it and cared about him (and their investment of millions of dollars in him), but I do believe they told him to go. The way it all came out with his announcement he was going to rehab just as the results of the test came out and then the news that the UFC wouldn't be punishing him at all - that's just how it seems to me.

Regarding my sig:

[YT]gndH9mhHPk0[/YT]

No, no. I know the source. And it's hilarious. Great movie. But the old hick still loves Jesus and the other guy still loves Jobu (sp?).

Let's try your name. How many assumptions up there stem from little to no direct access to the events in question? How many of those assumptions are actually founded on the opinions you're seeking to build?

I suggest that we will know a great deal more in a few weeks. And I think that both J.C. and Jobu would counsel restraint rather than condemnation. (The old hick and the bald black guy not so much.) Sound crazy?

Back