So what 28 days....

I am an addiction counselor with a Masters degree, working on my Ph.D. There is no magic number when dealing with addiction.

ive heard people talk about different drugs appealing to different peoples "issues"

for example people with an absense of love in their childhood end up completely hooked on heroin the first time because that rush of euphoria replaces the void much more than others

also looking at mike tyson and hearing him talk about his coke problems he seems to describe himself as an insecure ego maniac. some (cough cough) have described jones this way. i wonder if cocaine is the medication of choice for people like this

ive heard people talk about different drugs appealing to different peoples "issues"

for example people with an absense of love in their childhood end up completely hooked on heroin the first time because that rush of euphoria replaces the void much more than others

also looking at mike tyson and hearing him talk about his coke problems he seems to describe himself as an insecure ego maniac. some (cough cough) have described jones this way. i wonder if cocaine is the medication of choice for people like this

i'm going to go out on a limb and say "probably not".

Tyson is an addict. his drugs of choice seem to be coke and booze. his dad and mom were both addicts and that gave him a ~90% chance inheriting those genes (one parent is ~50%, and no parents is i think like ~2%.) and he was raised in a less than stellar environment which also impacted his childhood/mommy issues (whatever you want to call em). but aren't most people, who are the biological child of 2 addicts and raised by one of them, in poverty?

lots of people bounce from 1 drug to another. some even think they've "kicked" coke while eating opiates. soon they're shooting heroin, because once that dopamine/synapse/receptor thing gets out of whack, any further disturbance of it causes the receptors to want more. it's pretty common and called (i think) cross chemical dependency.

so Tyson liked coke. but he was partying in the late 80's/early 90's. my guess is if he were from the Bronx in 1966 with all other things psychologically equal, he'd have been drinking and doing heroin, instead of drinking and coke. i doubt i answered your question, but there are a lot of unknowns here. some psychological and some physiological. but odds are, Tyson was born with a predisposition to becoming an alcoholic/addict. and coke just happens to be his drug of choice.

some do get hooked on heroin and cocaine immediately. but also alcohol. but some get hooked on alcohol just as quickly. in the book John Barleycorn, Jack London discusses that exact same euphoria you mention the first time he got drunk.

Last edited:
28 days is a great amount of time to avoid the media while something blows (no pun) over

i'm going to go out on a limb and say "probably not".

Tyson is an addict. his drugs of choice seem to be coke and booze. his dad and mom were both addicts and that gave him a ~90% chance inheriting those genes (one parent is ~50%, and no parents is i think like ~2%.) and he was raised in a less than stellar environment which also impacted his childhood/mommy issues (whatever you want to call em). but aren't most people, who are the biological child of 2 addicts and raised by one of them, in poverty?

lots of people bounce from 1 drug to another. some even think they've "kicked" coke while eating opiates. soon they're shooting heroin, because once that dopamine/synapse/receptor thing gets out of whack, any further disturbance of it causes the receptors to want more. it's pretty common and called (i think) cross chemical dependency.

so Tyson liked coke. but he was partying in the late 80's/early 90's. my guess is if he were from the Bronx in 1966 with all other things psychologically equal, he'd have been drinking and doing heroin, instead of drinking and coke. i doubt i answered your question, but there are a lot of unknowns here. some psychological and some physiological. but odds are, Tyson was born with a predisposition to becoming an alcoholic/addict. and coke just happens to be his drug of choice.

some do get hooked on heroin and cocaine immediately. but also alcohol. but some get hooked on alcohol just as quickly. in the book John Barleycorn, Jack London discusses that exact same euphoria you mention the first time he got drunk.

i appreciate the effort and dont entirely disagree but your perspective is far too general imo

im no expert myself but from what i understand the experts are now learning and more accepting of a different view on "addiction". lots of people refer to addiction as a "disease" also which is totally bunk imo but more and more scientists are coming out with much better labels and descriptions

for sure people with a screwed up past are more likely to medicate themselves. sure theyre going to medicate themselves with whatever is available. but since this guy is claiming to have the education and experience in this area i thought i would get his comments on some of the specifics and nuances that are being discovered

like i said they have made discoveries of who and why some people are more likely to instantly be hooked on heroin. a guy like tyson probably tried it all but he certainly had his medication of choice. these arent people just out having a good time obv. theres a reason they medicate themselves with what they do. people with certain forms of anxiety are never going to be a coke addict, theyd rather be sober or dead. those people may develop a strong drinking problem though. different issues cause different medication preferences

both jones and tyson come across as insecure ego maniacs though. both love the blow apparently too. might be something, might be nothing. interesting though imo

28 days is enough to recover from a zombie apocalypse.

mza_7500180050439575583.jpg

First thing that came to mind.

I doubt that the UFC brass has any real concern for Jon as a human being nor his long term recovery. He is going to have to make the commitment to himself, for himself if he is gonna get & stay clean.

If the UFC really cared about him, how do you think they would handle this differently?

Back