So what 28 days....

I wouldn't be surprised if he's not addicted and this is just a PR move. He probably just parties and does coke occasionally. It would be way more impressive if he's actually a coke addict and still performs as well as he does.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's not addicted and this is just a PR move. He probably just parties and does coke occasionally. It would be way more impressive if he's actually a coke addict and still performs as well as he does.

Have you ever fought a coke-head? It's like having an old barn cat fall on your head.

It's most likely a PR thing. Look at all the boxers who were seriously addicted to coke they didn't perform like Jones did the last few years

Jone sisn't fucking addicted it's a PR thing he has been taking coke for years if he was addicted then you would have seen it in his performances he simply does coke when he parties and from now on he'll probably only do it when he has not fight coming up.
Seriously who thinks he's addicted to coke

You have absolutely no idea. Nor do I. We'll know a lot more when/if he emerges from rehab.

However, "taking coke for years" is an extremely effective way to arrive at addiction. The standard image of getting hooked instantaneously happens occasionally, but the majority of addicts follow a progression of less to more, to more, to more, etc.

And, based on where you are in that less-to-more trajectory, some addicts can function at an amazingly high level for a very long time. A life/job that involves long layoffs spiked with periods of highly structured, intense activity is particularly conducive to a binge use addict operating at/near 100% during the spikes.

No, no. I know the source. And it's hilarious. Great movie. But the old hick still loves Jesus and the other guy still loves Jobu (sp?).

Let's try your name. How many assumptions up there stem from little to no direct access to the events in question? How many of those assumptions are actually founded on the opinions you're seeking to build?

I suggest that we will know a great deal more in a few weeks. And I think that both J.C. and Jobu would counsel restraint rather than condemnation. (The old hick and the bald black guy not so much.) Sound crazy?

Oh. I think I completely misunderstood your first post.

I'm not judging anyone, it's just what I think happened. I agree that we'll know more in a few weeks and I certainly don't mean to say "This is clearly what happened" as if I have all the facts. However, if my natural response to hearing this story is to be suspicious, I don't think that's worthy of condemnation. I'm certainly keeping my mind open to any and all possibilities, and I'm hoping for the best.

To address your specific questions:

How many assumptions up there stem from little to no direct access to the events in question?

All of them.

How many of those assumptions are actually founded on the opinions you're seeking to build?

None of them.

The only reason Jon is going to rehab is to smooth this whole thing over. When he gets out a statement will be made: "blabla, I had a problem but after 28 days in rehab I'm a changed person, I'm very sorry for everyone I let down and hurt because of my addiction." - Something along those lines.
Jon would've never gotten into rehab if it wasn't for the fact that he got caught. And because of that, the rehab wont do shit for him.

Wait. Is rehab part of a scam to "smooth this whole thing over."?

Or is it that "rehab wont to shit for him..." because external pressures forced him into treatment without the necessary inward drive?

You can't have it both ways.

I drink and smoke hash daily, does that make me an addict?

According to the standard measure--the John's Hopkins questionnaire--you definitely are. But anyone who drinks/uses recreationally will find that test absurdly easy.

So let's assume the medical definition doesn't really matter. If you quit drinking/smoking and you wind up all fucked up and miserable as a result--and that bothers you--you're certainly in the addict ballpark.

More importantly, if you decide to quit for whatever reason, and you are unsuccessful, well... Call it what you like, but you need help because something is wrong with your health--and the empirical evidence suggests (strongly) that it's going to keep getting worse.

According to the standard measure--the John's Hopkins questionnaire--you definitely are. But anyone who drinks/uses recreationally will find that test absurdly easy.

So let's assume the medical definition doesn't really matter. If you quit drinking/smoking and you wind up all fucked up and miserable as a result--and that bothers you--you're certainly in the addict ballpark.

More importantly, if you decide to quit for whatever reason, and you are unsuccessful, well... Call it what you like, but you need help because something is wrong with your health--and the empirical evidence suggests (strongly) that it's going to keep getting worse.

Rehab is for quitters....Jameson mixed with hash ( taken daily ) is the medicine of champions. Besides, it's Friday, 2 hours from beer O'clock. I'll try drying out on Monday to prove your theory.....Wait, unless there's a game on or something.

What if you have fun doing the shit? I can afford my habits, I don't have an old lady chewing my ass out over my drinking/hash use,no run ins with law enforcement ect......Yet after reading some the opinions of the addiction experts, I'm starting to think I'm some sorta garbage head. WTF?

All of them.

None of them.

Fair enough. For what it's worth, I'm not just trying to hover above the fray. I know my stuff on this and I'm opinionated. (Would much prefer to live in TOTAL ignorance, but certain family members' forced my hand.)

It's highly likely that I'm wrong, and I would be delighted if so, but I suspect that Jones has really fucked himself up; that he's going through something really miserable right now--and stays miserable for way too long; and that he's going to be away from the sport for a considerable amount of time. I won't be surprised if he retires--fully expecting him to unretire later.

The volatile behavior in the lead-up to the fight; holding the grudge so tightly after the fight; the interview later with Stann et al where he mentioned the social media hate; various blips over the years. I'm not claiming to be some addict whisperer. I never actually suspected him, but once I saw the word "cocaine" attached to his name it made perfect sense. To me.

What if you have fun doing the shit? I can afford my habits, I don't have an old lady chewing my ass out over my drinking/hash use,no run ins with law enforcement ect......Yet after reading some the opinions of the addiction experts, I'm starting to think I'm some sorta garbage head. WTF?

I'm not saying that at all!!! Dude. Have your fun. Absolutely.

It's not the most "responsible" take, but I'm of the opinion that people should feel guilt and worry free to do whatever as long as they enjoy it and they don't feel like their lives are getting fucked up. I mean, serious intake of alcohol and drugs is objectively bad for your physical health. It shortens our lives, but we've all got to die of something, right? But most people who enjoy boozing/smoking are not addicts, and are more likely to stay that way than not.

The key for someone who's daily drinker/smoker is simply to be aware of the danger--because there is plenty. And the results are brutal if you get nailed. Basically, keep an eye out in case it stops being fun. Folks who do it even though it starts to suck are the ones who're in trouble because it only ever gets worse and their ability to stop dwindles in direct proportion.

Make sense?

I went to college there. Is Delaney's Speakeasy still open?

Lol! Yup. Delaney's is still there. That and Group Therapy are the only things that seem to have stuck. (I moved away for like 15 years.)

I assume you went to Allen?

Back