So Punk fanboys. Explain to me how this guy isn't a huge hypocrite.

Punks main gripe with money-grabs in WWE was that they weren't doing any of the real legwork; house-shows. They'd slide in and immediately be on TV/PPV eating up slots that the rest of the roster had been working for most days of the year.

The business models are different though. There isn't really a strong parallel to make in the UFC to a dark-show. Closest thing would be a fight-night, or TUF, and the truth is having Punk's name on a PPV *should* make everyone else on the card with him more money.

I don't watch wrestling but the thing that bothers me most about this guy is his name. What does CM stand for?

also, prime keibler GOAT

SE49B1G.gif

theres about 12,000 fighters signed in the ufc, and they keep adding more everyday. hes not taking anyones spot. if theres any fighters bitter they cant get in the ufc, cm punk is not why you cant get in.

Phil Brooks (that's his name) had issues with guys like The Rock coming in and fighting 5 nights a year while also being handed the title on a platter while mid carders were on the road 300 nights a year only to wrestle in dark matches.

The difference? His issue was with the scripting. The superstars and jobbers of WWE are not necessarily decided on performance alone. In the UFC, if you win on your own, you succeed. Title shots are seldom granted because of how popular you are. Kimbo was one of the hottest names in MMA history (albeit for a short period of time), and look how long it took Dana to let him go. Point being, if Brooks comes in and loses his first 3 fights, there's little chance he'll be around for a 4th fight.

Nothing he has said or done has been hypocritical. He's a well spoken and intelligent guy who simply wants to get in the octagon. He is one of the hardest workers in WWE history, and I think that work ethic will absolutely transition into mixed martial arts. His base jiu-jitsu will go further than people will give him credit for. Gracie had absolutely nothing but great things to say about him. In regards to his attitude, skill, and hard work. That's a great combination to have in this sport.

Thank you for adding to the discussion. I would counter this by saying that he's still taking up a spot on the PPV card which is something that fighters had to work for the hard way in order to earn.

I don't watch wrestling but the thing that bothers me most about this guy is his name. What does CM stand for?

Chick Magnet. A carryover from some weird tag team he was in when he was starting.

Not a wrasslin' fan, but read that on his Wiki page the day the signing was announced.

He's not main eventing or getting a title shot and he plans to stick around for the forseeable future. His issue with guys doing that in the wwe is that they come in for the top spot, didn't work house shows, just the big PPV in the ME spot and then were gone again in short order. He's going to train for next six months hardcore then have his first fight, then win or lose he's going to train again full time for his next fight, and his next fight etc.

I don't think he would have had an issue if Rock came back to wwe full time, worked the full road schedule and stuck around for awhile.

Chick Magnet. A carryover from some weird tag team he was in when he was starting.

Not a wrasslin' fan, but read that on his Wiki page the day the signing was announced.

Thanks. I have no idea why a grown man would want to be known as Chick Magnet Punk but whatever.

There's no great ethical or morally correct argument to be made. It's blatent what's going on. UFC wants to make money and atttract those wrestlng fans over, CM Punk wants to prove a point to himself before he gets too old. The arrangement suits them both. There's not much else that needs to be said on it.

If you don't like it, are you going to refuse to buy the PPV? I doubt it because there will probably be fighters worth watching on that same card. Maybe he'll never even fight and the publicity UFC has gotten from it thus far will be worth it for both parties.

Sure but that's not what I asked. I asked for people to explain to me how he's not a hypocrite but it seems that most people can't.

Correct. When asked about it now, he always says something different - Cookie Monster, C. Montgomery (like Mr Burns on The Simpsons), Crooked Moonsault, Charles Manson have all been used, as was Chuck Mosley at the Q&A yesterday. WWE also used "Championship Material" and "Chicago Made", the latter of which he should probably adopt as the new official meaning IMO.

I'm not gonna lie. The Q & A was entertaining. However, there was one point where he was asked about jumping right into the UFC and taking the spot from other guys who have to go the long road to enter the UFC. After struggling to find a reason to justify this, Punks answer to this question was that him coming into the UFC would benefit the fighters because of the money he's going to bring to the company.

Now, for people who don't follow wrestling and have no interest in it. CM Punk is well known for his bitching behind the scenes about former part time wrestlers like The Rock and Brock Lensar coming into the WWE and taking up spots from other up and coming wrestlers on the roster. This includes himself because he was temporarily pushed out of the spotlight and main event scene because of their returns. He bitched despite the fact that their presence brought $$$ to the company.

Now, let's not kid ourselves here. Punk is going to be on the PPV main card which is taking the spot away from someone else who worked hard to get to this point. Please Punk fans, tell me how he is not being hypocritical here? If I'm missing something please tell me.
Punk has admitted it. You ought to go after your obvious man crush Dana White for hypocrisy.

I think the issue is that Punk was a workhorse in WWE, and having him put over part-timers wasn't really needed. He was a fan favorite and was consistently drawing money when he was used in a way that got over with the crowd. The WWE didn't really NEED Lesnar or The Rock, and many people in the company admittedly thought that it was a bad move as a lot of young talent was being held back.

However when it comes to MMA, I would bet that the vast majority of fans couldn't name one "up and comer who lost his spot" thanks to Punk's signing without utilizing the magic of google. If a guy out there has a good record and the ability to generate fan interest, Zuffa would no doubt sign them. Despite all the legal issues, they aren't exactly hurting financially. And if anything, Punk will catapult whatever debuting fighter he goes against to stardom, win or lose.

Agree TS...you have a valid point.

But the UFC is not to blame for this as others have suggested. We can all assume that he will be put on the main PPV card because of his name/notoriety however, it's also something he can turn down and ask for a Prelim card. He is more to blame as he could have worked his way into MMA via the lower circuit but chose to take the spotlight and claim this "I am here to save the UFC" with his continuous presence in front of the camera right now.

Punk has never had issue with those guys coming back. What bothered him was these guys only working 5 shows a year, being given wins over the guys that worked 300 days a year and getting title spots that should go to the guys working all the time.

He put it perfectly on the Colt Cabana podcast. If he puts over Brock, but he's on Raw the next night and Brock isn't, it makes no sense to put Brock over.

Who gives a shit? I want to see the guy fight more than some up and comer. Supply and demand. If the guy who's spot gets taken is good enough, he'll hake it eventually any way.

Thanks. I have no idea why a grown man would want to be known as Chick Magnet Punk but whatever.

On the Q&A he said it stood for Chuck Moseley , the original singer for band faith no more. People he looked like him. I don't think people really know the true answer.

Actually the situations are different.
He was referring to The Rock coming back at Mania & HEADLINING THE BIGGEST PPV
If he was HEADLINING over Cormier/Jones than it would be the same.

A WWE guy works all year to try & get to be "the guy" at Mania.
Very different

He has already said directly in interviews that he is being somewhat hypocritical. He used that word. But he's oldish and just starting MMA. His time is now and he's going to take advantage. And there's nothing wrong with complaining about something when you're on one side of it, but growing into some objectivity later on and changing your mind. Granted in this case, both sides benefit him...;)

He's not kicking somebody out of Main-eventing Wrestlemania like Rock kicked him out (and I have no problem with it even as a Punk fan). He'll probably be the co-main on one of the almost weekly shows that UFC puts on. This is more akin to Pete Rose coming to RAW to wrestle Kane for a match.

Back