So Punk fanboys. Explain to me how this guy isn't a huge hypocrite.

Punk is a dick. This is well known and is frankly, a big part of why he was popular.

I'm not gonna lie. The Q & A was entertaining. However, there was one point where he was asked about jumping right into the UFC and taking the spot from other guys who have to go the long road to enter the UFC. After struggling to find a reason to justify this, Punks answer to this question was that him coming into the UFC would benefit the fighters because of the money he's going to bring to the company.

Now, for people who don't follow wrestling and have no interest in it. CM Punk is well known for his bitching behind the scenes about former part time wrestlers like The Rock and Brock Lensar coming into the WWE and taking up spots from other up and coming wrestlers on the roster. This includes himself because he was temporarily pushed out of the spotlight and main event scene because of their returns. He bitched despite the fact that their presence brought $$$ to the company.

Now, let's not kid ourselves here. Punk is going to be on the PPV main card which is taking the spot away from someone else who worked hard to get to this point. Please Punk fans, tell me how he is not being hypocritical here? If I'm missing something please tell me.

You're somewhat right.

However, the situations aren't totally equivalent, in that the UFC has tons of cards and fighters can only fight 2-3 times a year, leaving them desperately trying to enough fighters people give a crap about to fill up the cards.
Punk's just going to start in the 4th/5th spot on the main card or the top spot on the prelims. Anyone really good is going to be able to rise past him and get a higher spot - he's not really 'blocking the way' to anything.

To put it another way - picture two wide pyramids.
Picture Rock, Lesnar, HHH, etc at the very tip of one of them. They create a logjam for others trying to rise to that point.
Picture Punk being a spot halfway up the other pyramid. He's not really creating the same kind of backup. There's plenty of room alongside and above him.

Punk's just going to start in the 4th/5th spot on the main card or the top spot on the prelims.

People keep saying "prelim", but Punk has said over & over (including the Q&A) that Zuffa wants him on a PPV & signed him to a deal for PPV

Well what's he supposed to say? Laugh at the situation and look like an asshole? He wants to be polite. He realizes that he makes some extra money to the UFC and that's why he gets the gig. And he also realizes that fact annoys people and he probably takes a spot from a guy more deserving talent-wise who otherwise may have fought his opponent on the card he will be on. He ain't stupid and he wants to say the right things and be humble about his opportunity.

just accept it for what it is, no point in crying on sherdog about it

Most people are hypocrites. I've realized this as my friends have aged and now look down on people for the same shit they did only a few years prior.

Im sure if you think hard enough you do the same, in fact most of us are guilty of this

You wanna know what else your taking a spot on the front page with your second rate thread and your judgements on a man with more talent in his left thumb then you ever will

theres about 12,000 fighters signed in the ufc, and they keep adding more everyday. hes not taking anyones spot. if theres any fighters bitter they cant get in the ufc, cm punk is not why you cant get in.

Makes sense.

Punk has never had issue with those guys coming back. What bothered him was these guys only working 5 shows a year, being given wins over the guys that worked 300 days a year and getting title spots that should go to the guys working all the time.

He put it perfectly on the Colt Cabana podcast. If he puts over Brock, but he's on Raw the next night and Brock isn't, it makes no sense to put Brock over.

this is not the place there will be few that even know what your actually saying

He is indeed a hypocrite, but at least he's gonna be a rich hypocrite... well, rich-ish anyway.

Most people are hypocrites. I've realized this as my friends have aged and now look down on people for the same shit they did only a few years prior.

Nail on the head my man.

You wanna know what else your taking a spot on the front page with your second rate thread and your judgements on a man with more talent in his left thumb then you ever will

Gotta love sensitive WWE marks. I created this thread for responses like this. I'm glad that I've gotten to your mind.

This just in.

Money matters more than ethics and morals

more tonight in our top story.

CM Punk is not coming in to take a big pay day from somebody more deserving/with more experience. There are going to be almost 50 UFC events this year. He will likely only fight once. There is only one WM per year. The UFC doesnt have a WM type event, so there is no 'big spot' for CM Punk to steal. It's not like he is coming in and taking Vitor's MW shot either. If he was then you could make a comparison between what CM Punk is doing and what the part timers who show up at WM do.

I think more than anything it annoyed him that he had to constantly 'lose' to those guys. He was one of their biggest full-time stars and guys would come in or a one time appearance and beat him, then leave. It really didn't make much sense from a business perspective, making your current stars look inferior to older guys.

Like if Liddell came back and got a shot at Jones and somehow beat him, then re-retired. Liddell vs Jones would be a huge PPV, but it would ruin Jones' drawing power when he can still fight 10-20 more times for the UFC.

Isn't it enough to know that he is getting killed in his first match?

But there are only so many fight cards and they have only so many fights in them.

Yeah, but most of Sherdog has been screaming that there are far too many cards and far too many fights, so losing one slot on one card probably isn't a big deal.

These two situations are more than a bit different.

CM Punk was butthurt about people not with the company being brought in for top billing in the Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania. That's it. RR and WM have a finite number of spots. Unlike UFC events which happen almost once a week - well that's not an infinite amount of spots, but more nonetheless and up to Danas discretion to be increased. If I'm not mistaken, he never said a word about guys being featured on Monday night RAW for example.

Also, you should keep in mind that WWE has 1 to 3 top earners at a given time and bringing in guys to fill those 1 to 3 spots was unfair to the guys already there. UFC does not have a finite number of top earners, but anyone featured on a CM Punk card is likely to earn more.

Also keep in mind that Rock, Lesnar, etc. were brought in to vie for the top belts, CM Punk has been brought in to the UFC for a few exhibition fights. CM Punk never said a word against guys like Chris Jericho, who is periodically brought in not to compete for belts but to raise the profile of young wrestlers who are already with the company.

Please get your facts straight before bitching.

Back