So is the UFC just gonna let 2 Heavyweight Champions leave the UFC without defending?

OldFashion

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
What a joke of an organization. First they boot Ngannou and now they're waiting a year to make Jones vs Miocic for the real belt when everyone knows Jones will retire after beating a 42 year old Stipe, leaving Aspinall hanging dry and putting another blemish on the belt. Credit to Jones he walked through Gane but he didn't have to fight anyone else in the rankings and has had 1 fight in 3 years. Aspinall feels like the real champion.

I'm glad you fixed that Ngannou/Gane bit quick lol
icegif-1863.gif

Can't blame Jones but I can easily see Dana turning on Jones and saying "He didn't want to fight Aspinall. Can you blame him?" just like how he tried to get Jon to move up and fight Francis. If I'm Aspinall I try to rebook the Blaydes fight in London next year to get that one back. Also Blaydes deserves a title shot for being in the top 5 for so long and having to wait through the Stipe/DC nonsense.

At this point in his career Jones will only take easy fights. No TDD Gane and the corpse of Stipe are much easier fights than Aspinall.

Gane looked like the clear 2nd best guy in the hw division after Ngannou at the time that Jones fought him. It only looks like an easy fight in hindsight. I'd have no problem if he fought Stipe if he would defend the belt against the interim champ after that. This just feels like another really stupid decision by the UFC to make a quick buck for 1 fight while damaging the reputation of the belt

Gane looked like the clear 2nd best guy in the hw division after Ngannou at the time that Jones fought him. It only looks like an easy fight in hindsight. I'd have no problem if he fought Stipe if he would defend the belt against the interim champ after that. This just feels like another really stupid decision by the UFC to make a quick buck for 1 fight while damaging the reputation of the belt

Gane put on one of the worst performances in UFC history against Ngannou. He didn’t deserve to be anywhere near the belt for a long time after that.

Gane put on one of the worst performances in UFC history against Ngannou. He didn’t deserve to be anywhere near the belt for a long time after that.

Doesn't change anything I've said. It's still only in hindsight that you can say that. Jones fought who was perceived by everyone to be the best guy in the division at the time in Gane

I will be surprised if Jon Jones fights Aspinall. He might not have a choice though. IMO Stipe won't fight again. I'll be very surprised if Stipe goes through another training camp at this point. I think this was the end of Stipe's window to fight again.

If that's the case, Jon will have to either vacate or defend against Aspinall. Ironically this would would open the door for Cyrill Gane vs Aspinall for the HW title. Ironic given Gane belongs nowhere near a UFC title fight after his last performance against Jones.

Can't blame Jones but I can easily see Dana turning on Jones and saying "He didn't want to fight Aspinall. Can you blame him?" just like how he tried to get Jon to move up and fight Francis. If I'm Aspinall I try to rebook the Blaydes fight in London next year to get that one back. Also Blaydes deserves a title shot for being in the top 5 for so long and having to wait through the Stipe/DC nonsense.
Aspinall should be lobbying hard and publicly for a title shot against Jones and not accept anything less. Put Dana and the UFC in the hot seat for trying to sell some sham match and use the media to make them squirm.

The UFC HW division is a clown show right now with the bald-headed ringmaster leading the circus. Jones should not have a choice in who he fights, and the UFC needs to be put in check for their bullshit matchmaking. Jones vs. Stipe is a title fight... 5 or 6 years ago. Now it's a joke match to put Miocic over to "cement" Jones' legacy. Right now, it's absolutely not the best two HW's going at it, it's the same cherry-picking bullshit that the UFC criticized boxing and boxers for doing.

I will be surprised if Jon Jones fights Aspinall. He might not have a choice though. IMO Stipe won't fight again. I'll be very surprised if Stipe goes through another training camp at this point. I think this was the end of Stipe's window to fight again.

If that's the case, Jon will have to either vacate or defend against Aspinall. Ironically this would would open the door for Cyrill Gane vs Aspinall for the HW title. Ironic given Gane belongs nowhere near a UFC title fight after his last performance against Jones.

I think Stipe will come back for the payday and that'll be his last one.

It's a hard one to turn down.

as someone who likes to watch Jon fight and may even be considered an idiot hugger, I would like Jon to fight Tom and either take the win or eat the loss like a man and retire either way. There's no shame in losing (legitimately) for the first time to someone of such ability as Tom. But if he wins that scrap, then holy shit.

Yeah but Tom's at a disadvantage.
Defending the interim belt...

He can't do anything until JJ/Stiopic fight or own up to wasting time.

I think Stipe will come back for the payday and that'll be his last one.

It's a hard one to turn down.
Fair. Without knowing Stipe's finances, he might need the money.

Aspinall should be lobbying hard and publicly for a title shot against Jones and not accept anything less. Put Dana and the UFC in the hot seat for trying to sell some sham match and use the media to make them squirm.

And Aspinall would be making enemies with his promoter. He has a bright future, I wouldn't want to break his relationship just to beg for a Jones fight he may not get. Let Dana do that for you after the Stipe fight. If I'm Tom I defend that interim belt before Jones and Stipe to remind everyone that he is the active guy who is the true champ. My 2 cents but Aspinall should not do anything to offend the UFC here.

Yes, they are gonna promote the winner as the true lineal HW champ, gonna do a bunch of posts celebrating the retirement etc.

If Stipe wins he has a win over Francis, the narrative pushed is gonna be they are 1-1, Stipe was smaller than ever, out of his prime etc etc.

If Jones wins, he is the GOAT, Francis would had been dominated any way, etc, etc.

And Aspinall would be making enemies with his promoter. He has a bright future, I wouldn't want to break his relationship just to beg for a Jones fight he may not get. Let Dana do that for you after the Stipe fight. If I'm Tom I defend that interim belt before Jones and Stipe to remind everyone that he is the active guy who is the true champ. My 2 cents but Aspinall should not do anything to offend the UFC here.
Aspinall is the current interim champ, with 4 top-10 wins with 4 performance bonuses in his last five fights. He should be fighting to unify the titles and avoid risky fights with Gane, Blaydes or Almeida. Tom should do what's best for Tom, and not what the UFC wants to suit their own agenda. What's the worst that will happen? Dana will get pissed off and force him into a fight against someone else? Even furthers the narrative the the UFC is trying to orchestrate champions.

It makes zero sense for Aspinall to risk defending the Interim belt while Jones and Miocic are both on the sidelines until they can fight each other first for the regular belt, just to then have Aspinall (or someone else if he loses the interim title) fight the winner of Miocic/Jones to unify the two belts. It makes a mockery of the division and rankings to do this. Two different champs defending two different titles against different opponents? Dumb as shit, and sounds more and more like wrestling or boxing.

Jones can't fight? Fine. Strip the belt and give it to Aspinall, Aspinall fights Gane or Blaydes to keep the division moving on, and Jones fights whoever holds the belt when he's ready to return. Miocic won't fight anyone other than Jones, and at 42 years old and 3 years removed from his last fight, I and not sure he even ever fights again. Even with a freak win over Jones, I still don't see Stipe ever defending that title either. Give the division some legitimacy, and not be held up for a work. The UFC is giving Jones his easiest possible opponent, not the top contender, and it's bullshit. Everyone knows it. Aspinall and the media should be pushing the Jones fight hard.

I respect your opinion on not wanting to make enemies with the one who gives you work, and that would make sense in a normal work environment. But the "good guy, be the bigger man, trust in the rankings" routine only gets you passed over in this era of the UFC. I am not saying Tom should outright draw a line in the sand and he won't fight anyone other than Jones or else, but he should certainly be lobbying for the Jones fight.

Back