So is all of Sherdog in agreement that Conor must defend his title next or else be stripped?

IamStryker

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I know this should go without saying but you never know with Sherdog. Does everyone agree with this or is someone out there going to make a counter argument?

On a side note Aldo did exactly what a guy should do after losing a title like that. He decisively beat the next best guy and earned his rematch. Have to respect that.

Edit: Conor is acting like he doesn't want to defend his belt after winning the rematch with Nate. Then he basically dares the UFC to try to give his belt to Aldo because in his opinion it would be weird to give the title to someone who he beat in 13 seconds.

Last edited:
If he beats Nate then I'm afraid a trilogy fight would blow a rematch with Aldo out of the water. Aldo can fight Holloway to defend his interim title.

When you're the #1-10 p4p fighter like Conor who has never lost in the UFC there is no need to defend your title. Oh wait...

No

Conor Vs Siver 2 at catchweight (150lbs)

If he beats Nate then I'm afraid a trilogy fight would blow a rematch with Aldo out of the water. Aldo can fight Holloway to defend his interim title.

So you are arguing that he shouldn't be stripped? Are you completely serious or sort of joking aka being sarcastic?

Yeah... Sounds fair.

I think he gives 145 one more dig but that cut is pretty savage.

He's never failed it but he's likely enjoying being able to actually eat recently.

So you are arguing that he shouldn't be stripped? Are you completely serious or sort of joking aka being sarcastic?

I'm serious. Stripping him wouldn't make a difference. Aldo has a paper belt.

A third fight would do less than 700k buys. It's watered down already.

Nope, why should he?

In fact, hopefully he won't be stripped and we'll see

Aldo vs Holloway
Conor vs Alvarez

And then Conor vs Aldo at 145.

I'm serious. Stripping him wouldn't make a difference. Aldo has a paper belt.

People's opinion of the belt is irrelevant. If a champion would rather fight in other divisions and not defend his belt then he shouldn't have it at all. Conor also needs to prove that he can really continue to make weight and that he wants to continue making that weight.

He should have been stripped the second he agreed to the second diaz fight

If Aldo fights at featherweight again he automatically becomes the undisputed featherweight champion, this is an official rule regarding interim titles btw.

People's opinion of the belt is irrelevant. If a champion would rather fight in other divisions and not defend his belt then he shouldn't have it at all. Conor also needs to prove that he can really continue to make weight and that he wants to continue making that weight.

Conor doesn't really have to do anything. UFC is about money. If keeping Conor champion means money then that's what will happen

I'm a Connor fan, and I totally agree. Unless you have cleaned out a division, you should never, ever be able to hold up the title because you want a super fight. I reckon Connor always planned on moving up, so he should have vacated it already (if that's the case).

He's not as bad as Woodley though. Hypocrisy and holding up a division is just infuriating.

Nope, why should he?

In fact, hopefully he won't be stripped and we'll see

Aldo vs Holloway
Conor vs Alvarez

And then Conor vs Aldo at 145.

You are seriously arguing that a champion should be able to fight 4 times outside his division without defending his belt? What sense does that make? How is that fair to the contenders at FW?

Conor doesn't really have to do anything. UFC is about money. If keeping Conor champion means money then that's what will happen

I wasn't asking what will happen or what will make the most money. The thread is asking what Sherdoggers think SHOULD happen.

Back