So is all of Sherdog in agreement that Conor must defend his title next or else be stripped?

If he beats Nate then I'm afraid a trilogy fight would blow a rematch with Aldo out of the water. Aldo can fight Holloway to defend his interim title.

So let's say Conor stops Diaz, would you not just claim the first fight was a fluke and that Conor should get a LW shot etc? Regardless of the result Conor has to defend his FW belt in his next fight.

I thought he shoulda been stripped already for having two non title fights without defending

Pretty sure Barao defended the interim title twice before becoming champion.

Yes it is. Poor kids not aware that MMA rules are made by the boxing committee.

Show me an interim titleholder that defended his interim title. Oh right, you cannot.

Apparently Renan did defend his interim title twice. Once against Michael Mcdonald and once against Eddie Wineland.

Renan barao noob

I'd like my apology now Mr. Guy that likes looking at 98% naked men.

I'm not a Conor fan by any means but stripping a guy who hasn't defended his title for 8 months (could be a year by the time he'd be ready to defend) is just ridiculous. Aside from Aldo there are no meaningful fights for him unless Edgar beats Holloway.

You are seriously arguing that a champion should be able to fight 4 times outside his division without defending his belt? What sense does that make? How is that fair to the contenders at FW?
4 times? That'd be 3 not 4 lol.

I'm not a Conor fan by any means but stripping a guy who hasn't defended his title for 8 months (could be a year by the time he'd be ready to defend) is just ridiculous. Aside from Aldo there are no meaningful fights for him unless Edgar beats Holloway.

Not defending in over a year when you are perfectly healthy is a problem. The UFC even created an interim champion because they know how bad it looks. Regardless of how long it takes as a fan I can't agree with someone not defending in 3 fights.

Wait, Max isn't scheduled to fight Frankie is he? Max has already more than earned a title shot. He shouldn't even have to fight Frankie.

Totally! I'm salty Edgar lost his shot, but "best man for the job". I picked Aldo first time, I'll pick him again. (I actually like McGregor, he's fun)

Conor vs Nate 1
Conor vs Nate 2
Conor vs Alvarez 3

That's 3 times, not 4.

Aldo's taken multiple 1 year+ breaks from defending the FW belt as well, no reason Conor couldn't do a little moonlighting. The contenders can fight Aldo for the interim belt.

I also should have mentioned before that losing to Nate once and then beating him once should in no way give him a title shot at LW over the other contenders IMO.

Agreed, he must defend his belt after the Nate fight, if not.. then he must be stripped of it

Conor vs Nate 1
Conor vs Nate 2
Conor vs Alvarez 3

That's 3 times, not 4.

Aldo's taken multiple 1 year+ breaks from defending the FW belt as well, no reason Conor couldn't do a little moonlighting. The contenders can fight Aldo for the interim belt.

Sure since winning the belt Aldo has had two periods where he's had more than a year between fights however that's being a bit disingenuous, Aldo averages 7.27 months between title fights (full or interim), his first 1 year break came after winning the title and then defending if 5 times, his second gap of over a year was after having defended the title 10 times. Over a longer period of time being champ must be tougher, constantly fighting the top contenders and having to do 5 rounds.

At this stage with Conor it's been 8 months since he won the title with zero defences so he's already over Aldo's average, even with a quick victory and turnaround I can't see him fighting at FW until late November at the earliest.

giphy.gif

Not defending in over a year when you are perfectly healthy is a problem. The UFC even created an interim champion because they know how bad it looks. Regardless of how long it takes as a fan I can't agree with someone not defending in 3 fights.

Wait, Max isn't scheduled to fight Frankie is he? Max has already more than earned a title shot. He shouldn't even have to fight Frankie.

Yes but Max has already lost to McGregor and it wasn't even competitive. Beating Lamas and Cub isn't that big a deal as they were never elite to begin with. He needs a signature win IMO.

They should just strip him anyway for being such a goober

Yes but Max has already lost to McGregor and it wasn't even competitive.

So a title holder doesn't need to defend if he already beat the guy 3 years ago and that guy went undefeated since then? That sounds like BS logic. Conor JUST lost to Nate Diaz but for some reason he gets an instant rematch, AND I bet you supported that rematch didn't you?

He has not come out and said this, but I think this is the plan:

Lose to Diaz? Fight Aldo at 145
Beat Diaz? vacate the 145 belt Fight Alvarez for the 155 belt

My prediction is he beats Diaz, vacates the FW championship and fights for the LW championship.

Max Holloway beats Jose Aldo for the Undisputed FW championship.

Back